Aluminum flecks in oil filter

Only place I could see that happening is the red circled places. Pull the valve cover and take a look.

View attachment 114820
Precisely what I was thinking. I'm not going to start pulling anything yet. Need to get my UOA data back and speak with "my guy" at the Euro shop I use for the next step. I still keep thinking that tensioner goofed and this is the material you are showing.

I still keep thinking that tensioner goofed and this is the material you are showing.
If you're seeing visible flakes of aluminum in the filter, that would be my best guess. Only one way to really find out.

If you're seeing visible flakes of aluminum in the filter, that would be my best guess. Only one way to really find out.
Time to upgrade that exhaust cam..hahahah

Screen Shot 08-31-22 at 07.15 AM.JPG

al+si...hmm
the si is from air or from alu alloy itself.

Suddenly I remember that TiGeo runs Ceratec.

Hmmm
Not in a few years/60k miles ago. Ran it once in this car. HPL all this year during this including their EC before switching over.

View attachment 114904
al+si...hmm
the si is from air or from alu alloy itself.
Typically in UOAs Si is blamed on dirt getting past the air filter. I run an open element filter with a high-flow K&N filter but this combo hasn't shown anamolous Si results in the past but who knows here, maybe it got a bit of dirt in.

Typically in UOAs Si is blamed on dirt getting past the air filter. I run an open element filter with a high-flow K&N filter but this combo hasn't shown anamolous Si results in the past but who knows here, maybe it got a bit of dirt in.
Did you encounter any dusty conditions on your trip? That could be the source of both materials.

Did you encounter any dusty conditions on your trip? That could be the source of both materials.
Yes, there was likely more dust than usual on that trip. Aluminum in filter suggest another source of the Al.

Depends on how abrasive the wear was, while it's a bit of a stretch, it's certainly possible.
That is a stretch. The silicon number would be huge and it's only slightly elevated. The noise I've heard isn't random and has to be related.

Easy enough to check with a bore scope, and would rule piston material out.
It's top of mind among other things. Waiting on UOA results hopefully next week then will have a chat with my guy and see where it goes. Bore scope/compression test. Timing chain tensioner sight window are both things that I may do.

It's top of mind among other things. Waiting on UOA results hopefully next week then will have a chat with my guy and see where it goes. Bore scope/compression test. Timing chain tensioner sight window are both things that I may do.
Excellent. Thanks for being some forthcoming with information, these sorts of discoveries are always fascinating.

Excellent. Thanks for being some forthcoming with information, these sorts of discoveries are always fascinating.
Sure and I appreciate the discussion. Stuff happens and I'm a big-boy w/r to it when you do what I've done to my car and use it like I do. I'll keep this updated as info/data come in! Meanwhile, I'm still going to send it!!!!

562.jpg

That's horrible. Only other time I'd start it is to pull it up on ramps and tear it apart. Wouldn't keep running it like that unless you want 0 compression and a big bill for a head replacement.

Back