Aluminum flecks in oil filter

Sir....do not try to confuzzle me in the morning on my day off after a 70hr week.(it's not difficult)Lol....

So, you ARE running E, correct???
I am running 2.5 gallons of E typically with the balance of a 14.5 gallon tank with 93/E10. E22 I elieve that works out to be. Yes, I run some additional E in the car but at 22% this isn't eating parts.

I am running 2.5 gallons of E typically with the balance of a 14.5 gallon tank with 93/E10. E22 I elieve that works out to be. Yes, I run some additional E in the car but at 22% this isn't eating parts.
Are you ALWAYS running the corn sauce or are you "giving it a break" and running one or two tanks of full 93 in between???

For illustration purposes

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 7.43.54 AM.jpg

Are you ALWAYS running the corn sauce or are you "giving it a break" and running one or two tanks of full 93 in between???
It gets a mix, I don't always run the blend. This is a v. common thing on these cars, E30 type blends and I've never heard of this kind of issue.

It gets a mix, I don't always run the blend. This is a v. common thing on these cars, E30 type blends and I've never heard of this kind of issue.
Heard about it and had the issue when running my n54 135i.

I'm looking at different possibilities other than the chain issue everyone seems to be pointing at. It would have to be a hell or a loose timing chain to chew timing covers.....but you have dead on timing. I do not buy the chain issue. I do nut buy the flakes coming from the pistons either.

Only thing I can think of is hpfp. With the E content.....I got money on the hpfp....scratch that. I got 5 liters of Liqui Moly on it.

Heard about it and had the issue when running my n54 135i.

I'm looking at different possibilities other than the chain issue everyone seems to be pointing at. It would have to be a hell or a loose timing chain to chew timing covers.....but you have dead on timing. I do not buy the chain issue. I do nut buy the flakes coming from the pistons either.

Only thing I can think of is hpfp. With the E content.....I got money on the hpfp....scratch that. I got 5 liters of Liqui Moly on it.
So to me this can be:

Spun bearing
Some other crank/cam bearing
Piston/ring
Timing chain cover

I'd think if I had a spun bearing since April I'd know about it my now. I'd think if I had ring/piston issues I'd know about it by now. I have no oil consumption to speak of. The rattle-type noise I've heard that is intermittent and seems to be coming from the p. side/timing chain area is why I went there first. HPFP - I've not heard of that issue causing metal/high Al in these engines but certainly could be a source. I have no codes. The car runs smoothly/no lack of power/logs look normal.

I've emailed BS as they just go the sample to put a rush on it/explained the situation. Really curious how the Al looks - sample pulled after ~2.5K/got back from GA trip in May showed 9ppm Al which is nearly 2x the average level I see (BS noted it)...this with ~2.5K more miles should be higher than that is my guess. Where would hit SiO2 come from? I run a high-flow filter etc. but I've not had high Si from it before.

Last edited:
Yep many. many, run full E daily. Definitely not the issue.
Would not be so quick to dismiss the hpfp issue, bud. Not many running the extensive mods Mr Ti is running. Coupled with the E content and the fact that he pushes his car to an extent that many with his mods might not be. Yes, there could be a few that might go for a few 1/8th or 1/4 mile sprints here and there, but Mr Ti does more than that.

We are all playing phone doctor until he tears it apart, tbh.

TiGeo....let us know the diagnosis. I have recommended the sportswagen as a vehicle to my older sister. She is currently shopping for and driving them right now.....as we speak. Anything happens in the future it will no doubt be my fault.

Unlike many posting in this thread, I have a vested interest in this issue. She is mean.

Would not be so quick to dismiss the hpfp issue, bud. Not many running the extensive mods Mr Ti is running. Coupled with the E content and the fact that he pushes his car to an extent that many with his mods might not be. Yes, there could be a few that might go for a few 1/8th or 1/4 mile sprints here and there, but Mr Ti does more than that.

I put 504 to the wheel with my MK7 so you could say I had a few mods as well. HPFP if upgraded can cause cam wear, that is possible. I am not buying into E being a killer provided oil is changed more frequently.

Actually, my mods are v. mild on this platform. Many run much more than this on the GTI/R and I've never heard of the HPFP issue but I'm not dismissing anything here.

I put 504 to the wheel with my MK7 so you could say I had a few mods as well. HPFP if upgraded can cause cam wear, that is possible. I am not buying into E being a killer provided oil is changed more frequently.
Neither am I - on this platform E isn't going to be an issue here or we'd hear about it on the forums/FB groups. My car is a mild modded example here.

Back