Aluminum flecks in oil filter

My engine code isn't covered BUT this could be it possibly.

If you pull the timing cover then it’s worth the check.

Thinking along the lines of oil pressure a bad lifter or VVT mechanism? I’m not familiar with VW so I’m throwing darts

I noticed silicon seemed to be elevated too, correct? If so, that could be bearings if they are the bi-metal aluminum/silicon bearings. Otherwise, I'd be concerned that it could be piston material.
I assume alu pistons.
What if big tune and roasting the car really bad could expand pistons, strongly pushing against cylinders. Flaking them off.
Is that possible?
(anything beyond stock tune should heat up things significantly.)

I assume alu pistons.
What if big tune and roasting the car really bad could expand pistons, strongly pushing against cylinders. Flaking them off.
Is that possible?
That kind of heat would have expanded a ring lifting a ringland before it would expand the piston enough to touch the wall.

Do you allow the engine to reach full operating temperature before getting on it? Maybe you need a slightly thicker oil?

Do you allow the engine to reach full operating temperature before getting on it? Maybe you need a slightly thicker oil?
Always. Lots of higher powered builds/tunes running basic 5W40s.

I assume alu pistons.
Is that possible?
It's possible, but usually the risk is the rings butting which causes scoring and can even break the piston crown. I expect he'd have to be making a fair bit more than what he is for that to happen though.

I assume alu pistons.
Is that possible?
That's not likely here. This is hardly a "big tune" on this car/engine. This is "mild" haha

Hpfp is mechanical. Driven by one of the camshafts. I believe your engine has a roller style hpfp cam follower. Seen major issues with hpfp if you run ethanol.
Why would running a few gal of E have anything to do with this? I've logged it a bunch and 93 vs. E22-ish are identical w/r to HPFP output.

Why would running a few gal of E have anything to do with this? I've logged it a bunch and 93 vs. E22-ish are identical w/r to HPFP output.
E eats aluminum like nobody's business. It's also has less lubrication than gasoline. I'm just burious of where the flakes came from and playing car doctor over phone.

E eats aluminum like nobody's business. It's also has less lubrication than gasoline. I'm just burious of where the flakes came from and playing car doctor over phone.
Got it. It's not like I'm running E85.

Back