Aluminum flecks in oil filter

Might be an isolated occurrence. Maybe do another autopsy in 1000 miles.
Already planned. I am doing some testing we'll call it so this fill is back out in ~500 miles including filter so will be looking. UOA results are incoming.

Eh, not likely. The tunes on these aren't crazy and I run a bit of ethanol so don't typically see any timing correction when I log it. How would that impact this anyway?
I am just interested in knowing how much more power you got out of the Tune you did on this vehicle?

I am just interested in knowing how much more power you got out of the Tune you did on this vehicle?
It's an off-the-shelf tune so v. safe/reliable/used by lots of people with these cars. I run the larger turbo from the Golf R so larger than the stock one mine came with, aftermarket downpipe and intercooler plus lots of other bits/bobs. Car is north of 300hp at the wheels (and probably approaching 375 at the crank in cooler weather) and with dual-clutch auto is very quick. Car originally was rated at 170 hp....so more than 2x stock power and many have taken these well north of that. Incredible German engineering!

Already planned. I am doing some testing we'll call it so this fill is back out in ~500 miles including filter so will be looking. UOA results are incoming.
Sounds like a bad idea. Personally, I'd pull the timing cover off asap. Best case scenario in 500 miles is you'd need a timing cover, guides, chains. Worse case, you're looking at a new head.

If it was a lower mileage car, I'd agree with a "isolated" incident.....you're getting near 80k, correct???

Your car, your rules. I would not risk it on such a nice ride. Especially with good weather still around to enjoy, last thing I'd want is to be down and lose a month or so of cruising season.

Ill bet timing chain chewing a guide. Nylon wore/broke off possibly and now touching something alum.
More likely the tensioner b/c this noise is only at start up once in a while.
Sounds like a bad idea. Personally, I'd pull the timing cover off asap. Best case scenario in 500 miles is you'd need a timing cover, guides, chains. Worse case, you're looking at a new head.

If it was a lower mileage car, I'd agree with a "isolated" incident.....you're getting near 80k, correct???

Your car, your rules. I would not risk it on such a nice ride. Especially with good weather still around to enjoy, last thing I'd want is to be down and lose a month or so of cruising season.
This has been making that noise most of this year....I'm not concerned enough yet....I'll get it sorted here at some point. Need to pop the site cover off the timing cover and look at the tensioner to ensure it's not an issue. They have graduated marks to let you know. Chain is not stretches as the VCDS scan will show that it and it's well within spec.

Last edited:
Ever had it on a Dyno or put a wide band in to check air fuel ratio? I've never associated canned tunes with safety, only custom Dyno tunes by someone who really knows their stuff. Seen some junky tunes over the years on handhelds like Predator.

Ever had it on a Dyno or put a wide band in to check air fuel ratio? I've never associated canned tunes with safety, only custom Dyno tunes by someone who really knows their stuff. Seen some junky tunes over the years on handhelds like Predator.
OTS tunes on this platform by APR and Unitronic are excellent and proven - these are "mega" tuning companies in the VW world with with big budgets and R&D; Unitronic has race teams. I've logged my car many times, it's rock solid so no issues there w/r to AFR etc. Not running lean. Yes, I've had it on a dyno. This isn't janky tuning like you get on other platforms.

Last edited:
More likely the tensioner b/c this noise is only at start up once in a while.

This has been making that noise most of this year....I'm not concerned enough yet....I'll get it sorted here at some point. Need to pop the site cover off the timing cover and look at the tensioner to ensure it's not an issue. They have graduated marks to let you know. Chain is not stretches as the VCDS scan will show that it and it's well within spec.
Well aware of the sight plug as well as the tensioner. Went through a head replacement with a Tig not too long ago.

On another note, just saw your tutorial on logging with the obd11 on YT. Very informative. Will try it later today.

Well aware of the sight plug as well as the tensioner. Went through a head replacement with a Tig not too long ago.

On another note, just saw your tutorial on logging with the obd11 on YT. Very informative. Will try it later today.
Nice, glad it's helpful. What year Tig? MK6 gen VWs were notorious for this issue but the MK7/MQB platform...not really a peep/any info out there b/c it just hasn't really been a problem. Tensioner re-designed and chain doubled up for strength.

Can you snake a borescope in there to look at areas that might be causing the aluminum? Where a chain might rub, or so on.
Yup, it's going to be this or piston material most likely. It looks like silicon is up on that UOA too? Would be good to confirm or eliminate the timing stuff ASAP (hopefully confirm).

Nice, glad it's helpful. What year Tig? MK6 gen VWs were notorious for this issue but the MK7/MQB platform...not really a peep/any info out there b/c it just hasn't really been a problem. Tensioner re-designed and chain doubled up for strength.
2016 Tig. I was really surprised how easy they come apart and go back together. I liked it so much, wouldn't mind picking one up for long trips. It was very comfy.

2016 Tig. I was really surprised how easy they come apart and go back together. I liked it so much, wouldn't mind picking one up for long trips. It was very comfy.
So that's not the new MQB one so previous TSI that had timing chain tensioner issues.

It's been on my mind to check. Does my gen 3 have this? I know the MK6 was plagued with bad tensioners.
The Gen 3 has been a very solid engine. Timing chains are rarely mentioned. You did mention a noise which should be investigated. My GTI was very quiet.

Back