Alternator Recommendation - Camry

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Looks like the alternator finally went on the 2000 2.2L Camry, less than 1,000 miles from the 250k mark. I’ve been suspecting it, with the A/C on high at idle at a light, you can feel/hear the fan isn’t as strong. When giving it a little RPMs the A/C blows like a windstorm. Now the battery light is on. Will still confirm it isn’t a fuse or something else.

Anyways, looking for recommendations from Rock Auto. Not getting a reman.

952578BA-7E38-417A-9C95-75248BC294D0.jpeg

I put a new, (not rebuilt), Ultima Select Alternator in my truck from O'Reilly over 4 years ago, and it's been fine. I forget what it cost me at the time, because I bought a new Serpentine belt to go along with it. I want to say it was around $170.00 for both.

Junkyard or ebay used OE.

I bet the brushes are all yours need, so if you can find someone to do that locally, even better. Do the front bearing while in there.

oem, bosch, or ac delco. I wont bother with the others. They're super hit or miss and they usually have dirty power so you get interference and can hear it with the speakers when you rev up.

I'd reluctantly buy the AC Delco from that list. I read a good bit about alternator choices a while back and based on what I read, I decided on a NEW alternator from O'Reilly's a mile down the road. :giggle:

With a name like “Pure Energy” you know it has to be good.

I did an Autozone on mine. But kept the old one. Brushes did not fix mine, got tired of waiting for parts in the mail, hence the parts store.

FWIW I just had to buy an alternator for my old Sienna, the brushes were beginning to make intermittent contact and the battery light would flicker on sometimes. Anyway I got the rebuilt Bosch one from RockAuto, mostly because I bought the same brand of replacement starters and alternators for my old BMW and the Accord. So far it's working fine. I did consider the cheaper new Chinese ones but I had a gift card laying around and I used that to make up the difference.

I couldn't believe the original one lasted over 450,000 miles and 23 years but it did.

Last edited:
Get the Denso if you plan on keeping the car a while longer.

DENSO 2100187 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Reman Info
One of our most popular parts

80 Amp

[IMG alt="/www.rockauto.com/catalog/images/prevIMGbig.png[/IMG]
Part image
>
$122.89$34.00$156.89

Denso is who makes most of the electrical components in Toyotas and they last.
Oh I see, but this is a reman and that is a whole different story.

Denso.

Remanufacturing Process Includes:

1. Bearing - 100% tested to OEM specifications and repacked with premium OE-standard lubricant.
  2. Stator - Insulation tested to 600 volts.
  3. Rotor - Performance and insulation tested to 600 volts.
  4. Housing - Re-tapped to OEM specifications and damage-checked for heat warping, corrosion, or improper surface alignment.
  5. Hardware - 100% stripped and replated.
  6. Rectifier - Performance tested to 300 volts.
  7. Voltage Regulator - 100% voltage tested to OEM specification.
  8. Slip Ring - Re-machined to an average of 8 microns (20 micron run-out maximum), minimizing brush wear and abrasion.

Warranty Information:
12 Months

Bosch.
Bosch remanufactured alternators and generators have new parts and are performance-tested to ensure longer, more reliable, vibration-free, and quiet operation with maximum performance.

Features:

* Full-load tested to guarantee compliance with Bosch's strict performance specifications
* 100 percent factory-tested, units are remanufactured (not rebuilt)
* Rotor slip rings machined to the toughest concentricity specifications in the industry for increased brush life and reduced electrical interference on computer-controlled vehicles
* 100 percent new high-quality bearings
* Voltage regulators and rectifiers tested (and replaced where required) ensuring stable voltage output and eliminating shorts and open circuits for maximum reliability, cranking, and starting
* Built to last using high-quality materials and the most technologically advanced developments

Manufacturer Warranty:​

24 Months​

Automotive starters and alternators are backed by the Bosch Ultimate Protection Plan when unit is registered at the time of purchase: 2 year, 24 hour Roadside assistance; vehicle is jumped or towed for free up to 50 miles.

Again, why Denso? I am not seeing any benefit whatsoever. With the Bosch you print out the warranty that includes a tel#, if you break down due to the alternator or starter they will tow you up to 50 miles.

Back