Alternator Recommendation - Camry

Bosch AL3261X

Otherwise, I would go with the Remy, junkyard part, or reman by local shop if that is an option.
My first choice was always the local rebuilder, but I used to also sell Bosch alternators and starters to my clients.

Denso reman 100%. I recently (and sadly) have stopped using my local alternator and starter rebuilder as his product quality has been slipping in recent months/years. Denso, OTOH, have invested millions into their rebuilding operation in California. Almost every reman starter or alternator I use at work now is a Denso, all made in USA.

Just today, I installed a new Denso A/C compressor in a 2012 Acadia to replace a cheap Chinese unit that lasted barely 2 years. The Denso required no core, was made in the US, and wholesale cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of $180.

Our fj is a Toyota.
Yeah I know what an FJ is, they are bulletproof. You said it was rare to see an alternator last for 20 years or 450,000 Miles. I said it’s not rare bc it’s a Toyota. There are a whole lot of Toyotas out there with over 300,000 miles with the original alternator. I have put 3 motorcrafts in an F-250 in 1 day. All of them were bad from the factory, Reman Bosch.

There is no way I would ever consider a "rebuilt" alternator without new bearings. Even with new bearings the cost of a new one over a rebuilt isn't much more. If you're going through all of the labor to replace the thing, go with the option that affords the best and longest chance of not having to do the job over sooner. Rebuilt components are always cheaper for a reason.

When I did my Alternator and water pump, I went with new, along with a new Serpentine belt at the same time, for the same reason. I have to go through all the trouble of taking it off and putting it back on, so why not replace it? The added lousy $35.00, (about the equivalent of 6 gallons of gas today), is hardly a reason to avoid doing it. I'll save money somewhere else.

Looks like the alternator finally went on the 2000 2.2L Camry, less than 1,000 miles from the 250k mark. I’ve been suspecting it, with the A/C on high at idle at a light, you can feel/hear the fan isn’t as strong. When giving it a little RPMs the A/C blows like a windstorm. Now the battery light is on. Will still confirm it isn’t a fuse or something else.

Anyways, looking for recommendations from Rock Auto. Not getting a reman.

View attachment 103969
Out of the choices on that list I’d choose the Remy.

I have had excellent results with the new TYC alternators - have installed probably 10 or 12 in the last 2 yrs and no comebacks yet and actually my son has a TYC on his 2005 Yukon and is happy with it as well. It has been on that truck for about 30k miles atleast. The only one I won't use based on experiencing a wrong part in the box and 2 that were bad out of the box is REMY. I won't use REMY or Autozone remans. Autozone Gold new has been ok. Another good thing about TYC is every part comes with test results right in the box. A nice touch.

Why not just buy a new one from Toyota?

Toyota one might be remanufactured

https://toyota.worldoemparts.com/oem-parts/toyota-alternator-assembly-w-r-270607464084?c=az0x

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 4.23.46 PM.jpg

FWIW I just had to buy an alternator for my old Sienna, the brushes were beginning to make intermittent contact and the battery light would flicker on sometimes. Anyway I got the rebuilt Bosch one from RockAuto, mostly because I bought the same brand of replacement starters and alternators for my old BMW and the Accord. So far it's working fine. I did consider the cheaper new Chinese ones but I had a gift card laying around and I used that to make up the difference.

I couldn't believe the original one lasted over 450,000 miles and 23 years but it di

Saw the Bosch warranty and it's benefits in Trav's post. Seems like a no brainer even though I do like Denso products quite a bit.
The Bosch rebuild process sounds great on paper, but in reality, Denso has the better reputation for this application.

Back