Alternate thoughts on using HPL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the HPL open house and bought a case of oil and seems it's cured my anxiety. Lol I used to head straight for the oil aisle at Walmart and waste time pulling into auto parts stores asking if they had oil on clearance. Best thing that happened is I don't care anymore about all the different types of oil on sale in the stores and which one is better than the next since I'll be using THE best 😉

Thank all of you for your input. As I expected, there is no clear cut answer to the options I provided. Seems obvious, but if cost were no object then just switch to HPL.

I have chosen option #3 (subject to change). I am completing a 5K oil change using one quart of EC30. I will look at the filter for crud. Since I have another quart of EC30, I will likely run another 5K oil change with this plus Castrol Edge that I have on hand.

I just ordered a 12 qt pack of HPL Premium Plus 0w-20 and will run this for one year which is about 15K miles. That will leave me with 5 qts of HPL. Then I will decide if just to use one qt HPL with with Castrol Edge EP or Mobil 1 EP motor oil as a supplement.

I am hoping Dave will chime in if there could be any downside to the 1 qt Premium Plus used with the above mentioned oils.
The best choice would be to run the oil. All the other options are some form of a compromise. If you really want to run a standard oil then I would use the cleaner vs our oil. It would have a larger concentration of Ester. With the oil you get AN and ester, the oil needs nothing added. You can just enjoy longer drains and a clean engine.

David

Well my order of HPL Premium Plus 0w20 just arrived! The packaging was great with a very thick cardboard box and all the quarts intact. Service was stellar with quick shipping. I still have one more 5k run with the EC30. I plan on a one year run with HPL.

Attachments

• E09D340D-D434-4C9B-AA6D-31B7A82F8641.jpeg
    E09D340D-D434-4C9B-AA6D-31B7A82F8641.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 6340B373-0C6D-46DE-83A1-BB4AD1EB1833.jpeg
    6340B373-0C6D-46DE-83A1-BB4AD1EB1833.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 60
You could have nothing to clean up and use HPL oil and notice your car feeling better on its Superior oil as well.

I really enjoyed their oils and look forward to purchasing it again.

You could have nothing to clean up and use HPL oil and notice your car feeling better on its Superior oil as well.

I really enjoyed their oils and look forward to purchasing it again.
I like HPL oils, but the car won't feel better lol !

You may feel better using it.

I like HPL oils, but the car won't feel better lol !

You may feel better using it.
Well at least I didn't say "sound quieter" LOL.

I'm sure HPL oil is in the category of the best motor oil money can buy for getting internal frictions as low as possible.. but don't let me be the one to turn this thread into scientism. It's probably superior to the oils at Walmart and what the OP mentioned I think the question he asked was does it matter... it almost sounds like the answer to his question is no, unless maybe he just has to use the best for his peace of mind. To that I do not know.

Folks , what happened with the store shelf oils vs the specialty oils here recently? A while back lots of people on BITOG encouraged
people to "save your money and buy off the shelf at walmart or supertech etc..." I thought that was decent advice even though to each his own.
Now lately one of the hot topics here has been HPL. From what I have read is some very impressive / higher priced fluids. I am always
reading about every word I can about lubrication & companies. Is the latest interest in HPL mainly because some have found that their
long time favorites keep changing formulations or are being to difficult answering when contacted? I do see that HPL is very impressive and a consumer friendly manufacturer/supplier just exactly as you always want a really proud and confident company to be. They
also seem to back up their product with all the info they can get to the customers.

I have no doubt HPL lubricants are the best made oil and the best you can buy. My, personal, problem is its much to costly for me and a waste on my vehicles. Pouring in HPL in my well over 200k mile vehicles is like offering a Ripple drinking alcoholic a glass of fine Champaign.

I've used HPL oil and I intend on using them again.

In the meantime, I am using oil I can purchase easily at my work or oil off the shelf at Walmart. In my case it is Justified since I am still trying to determine if my car is using oil at the rate that it was when I got it. Their EC product is absolutely perfect for addressing that, IF my oil consumption is due to oil control rings.

We are coming up on one full year since I first visited the facility very soon.

Posters are correct, at the core of this thread is if there is such a thing as an oil that is good enough and what would make one seek out HPL vs your local oil on the shelf at Walmart.

I have no doubt HPL lubricants are the best made oil and the best you can buy. My, personal, problem is its much to costly for me and a waste on my vehicles. Pouring in HPL in my well over 200k mile vehicles is like offering a Ripple drinking alcoholic a glass of fine Champaign.
Yeah. While it is very impressive it is not in the cards for me to use at this time with the vehicle I maintain.

Yeah. While it is very impressive it is not in the cards for me to use at this time with the vehicle I maintain.
Dave has repeatedly stated that he was extremely impressed when they ran internal testing on Mobil 1 0W-40. An oil that good for the price we can get it? So, if you can't justify the price of HPL, that would be my default, if the application allowed for it.

Dave has repeatedly stated that he was extremely impressed when they ran internal testing on Mobil 1 0W-40. An oil that good for the price we can get it? So, if you can't justify the price of HPL, that would be my default, if the application allowed for it.
Thats my plan for my mazda. Being a winter fuel diluting engine, It will get 0w40 M1 during winter as it has the past few years. But this spring , instead of M1 0W30, i will use the 10W20 and leave it all summer, till winter.

Yes. Thanks. I planned on M1 my last change but wal mart was out. I will likely order me a case or two so I know I have it when I need it on hand.
I been on the HPL sites . Impressive company who seem very willing to share information. I like that.

Agree.
WalMart no longer carries their house 10w-40 Blend on the shelves which led me to seek out another w-40 oil. They also don't carry much in the M1 brand. The M1 0W-40 used to be plentiful but not so much now. I've settled on QSUD Euro 5w-40 and scarfed enough to do OCI's on my most used vehicles. The QS Euro was the same price as the old SuperTech Syn 5w-30 which they also don't carry. I don't buy oil at the auto parts stores anymore because their prices are outrageous. We have two WalMart's in our area but we are a small community and I think we are the last stop for the delivery trucks and we get the left-over scraps.
If QS raises their prices and M1 doesn't, It may become an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back