Alternate thoughts on using HPL

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, I have massive experience with using HPL oils in Dynamic Force D-4S engines.

The correct answer is HPL PCMO 0W20.
15k mile/1 year OCI.

HPL oils have other worldly stamina and offer excellent protection.

I realize there are many people on this forum doing 10k oil changes with excellent results. tig1 (I think) comes to mind. I just can’t bring myself to do this with the synthetic oils I have been using. I would go 10k with HPL, but the cost differential would be double. If the lowest tire HPL PCMO came in 0w20 or 0w30 I would do this in a heartbeat.
Is it the approximately $1.70 per quart (with BITOG discount) cost of the Premium over the regular PCMO stopping you from using it? That's what I understand from your post.

Is it the approximately $1.70 per quart (with BITOG discount) cost of the Premium over the regular PCMO stopping you from using it? That's what I understand from your post.
It would only be $1.70 per quart if I am willing to go 15k per oil change.

HPL PCMO Premium 0W-20 in a 4 gallon case would be $230.37 after discount, taxes, and flat rate 2nd day shipping. That's $14.40/qt.

Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 is ~$30 after taxes at your local Walmart for a 5 quart jug which is ~$6/qt.

Your engine requires 6.5 quarts (IIRC) of oil. Say you went ahead and bought 3 jugs of Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 to have 15 quarts on hand.
l
Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 = $6/qt x 6.5 quarts = $39 per oil change
HPL PCMO 0W-20 = $14.40/qt x 6.5 quarts = $93.60 per oil change

Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 = $39 / 5,000 miles = $7.80 per 1,000 miles
HPL PCMO 0W-20 = $93.60 / 15,000 miles = $6.24 per 1,000 miles

So you see, the HPL is actually cheaper in the long run. It can easily handle 15,000 mile annual OCIs. I went 20,500 miles on their 5W-20 recently (not even the premium) and still had good TBN, no shear, wear rates normal, etc...
Seriously the Mobil 1 EP could go 7500 miles easy and you can get it on Rollback at Walmart for $26.47 a Jug (five quarts). Two Jugs online from Walmart you get free shipping.

Last edited:
What about buying a stash of the EC30 and using a quart every oil change? You can use your regular oil but still get the cleaning benefits of the EC30.

What about buying a stash of the EC30 and using a quart every oil change? You can use your regular oil but still get the cleaning benefits of the EC30.
If cleaning is your main concern, EC30 does not offer as much "cleaning" as their oils.

If cleaning is your main concern, EC30 does not offer as much "cleaning" as their oils.

What @The Critic said, plus HPL oil is less expensive than their cleaner.

I did look at the Premium Plus version, but it is only a $10 difference for 6 quarts. The least expensive version does not come in 0w-20.
I see the problem now.

You live in NE. Your commute means your engine gets a good workout 20+ days per month.

Reconcile yourself to the FACT that you are a prime candidate for extended OCIs with HPL PP 0W20.

Going one year/15k miles between oil changes in a Lexus, should be reason to feel comfortable with the costs involved.

OP, I have massive experience with using HPL oils in Dynamic Force D-4S engines.

The correct answer is HPL PCMO 0W20.
15k mile/1 year OCI.

HPL oils have other worldly stamina and offer excellent protection.
I should have said HPL PP 0W20. HPL PCMO 5W20 is a great alternative, all things considered.

1lieutenant, in case you have not scrutinized ALL the HPL threads, here is a summary of my results.

2019 Lexus UX 250h.
(M20A-FXS) D-4S.
HPL HDEO 0W16.
Used for ~100k miles w/~10k mile OCIs.

I will set aside the ~25k miles with OCIs/UOAs accrued on a 2022 Honda Insight using HPL PP 0W8.

2022 Corolla Cross.
(M20A-FKS) D-4S.
HPL PP OW8.
42k miles + with OCIs/UOAs gradually extended to nearly 20k miles.

You have 2015 Lexus GS 350.
(2GR-FKS) D-4S.

The results, similarities and inferences all speak for themselves.

Besides the 10k filter changes the rest of your regimen is way over the top. I mean using EP oils or HPL seems like a total waste especially for 5k miles on a Lexus engine. All you really need is a regular shelf synthetic. Don't get me wrong your oil choices are great but seem like definite overkill.

Besides the 10k filter changes the rest of your regimen is way over the top. I mean using EP oils or HPL seems like a total waste especially for 5k miles on a Lexus engine. All you really need is a regular shelf synthetic. Don't get me wrong your oil choices are great but seem like definite overkill.
Well, HPL does make an Overkill 0W-20 ... "When good enough isn't good enough"

1664528482884.jpeg

Seriously the Mobil 1 EP could go 7500 miles easy and you can get it on Rollback at Walmart for $26.47 a Jug (five quarts). Two Jugs online from Walmart you get free shipping.

Yes, I know. As I have responded in the comment directly above yours, I used 5,000 miles as that is the OCI the OP is currently running with M1 EP.

But what if it is run consistently every OCI? It was just a thought.

While EC is a fully formulated oil, it is primarily ester based and designed only for short drain intervals. The common oil you add it to will not have the DI add pack to overcome this and thus will likely be paying more for that combination than you would for HPL PCMO used at its potential with lesser performance. The EC is designed to be a transitional product. It can help dissolve sludge, varnish, and other deposits left behind by other oils prior to use of the more powerful HPL PCMO.

Used continuously, the EC will likely continue to clean, though the inferior oil it's added to will also continue to leave behind deposits like before in a repeating and self-defeating process. It'll be cleaner, no doubt, but not as clean as it could be or used to its potential.

Using a qt of there PCMO is not a bad idea to slowly clean over a period of time with a dirty motor like in my Element. It is what I am thinking about doing for a bit once the EC is done. It should slowly continue to clean up the OPs engine if it needs it but due to the low miles and good oci regiment. I would think it is pretty clean to start and the OP would have no problem running the PCMO fully where as my motor is dirty and it may clog something. If the OP just ran the PCMO every couple of oil changes or like every 3rd oil change at 10k mile intervals would keep it clean if they didn't want to run it exclusively, it is pricey. Or the OP really has nothing wrong with the current 5k oci with Mobil 1, it is a solid oil at a low oci and will probably stay very clean. And at ~$25/5qt jug at 3xs per year(5k oci) is cheap ins to keep it clean, it's what I do. It also gets you under the car to check things out regularly which is a good habit to have anyways

I have been following the HPL threads with great interest. There is no doubt in my mind that this oil is superior to "off the shelf" synthetics. I have questions as to whether the extra expense is worth it.

A bit of background:
I have been changing the oil in my 2015 Lexus GS350 with 0w-20 Mobil 1 AFE, Mobil 1 0w-30 ESP or Castrol 0w-20 Edge extending performance at 5K intervals with oil filter change at 10K intervals since new. The filter comes out perfectly clean at these intervals. The car now has a bit over 60K miles.

At the last oil change, I added one quart of HPL engine cleaner in place of one quart of oil to do a bit of engine cleaning. I will be changing the oil and filter at 5K and repeating this process for one additional oil change. Here are my questions/thoughts in order of increasing expenses.
1. This alone should be sufficient to clean anything left behind in previous oil changes and I will just continue what I was doing initially.
2. Go back to my initial oil change protocol, but substitute one quart of Mobil 1 or Castrol with HPL super car oil.
3. Run one oil change with HPL super car formula for 10K and then go back to what I was doing initially with the addition of one quart HPL super car per oil change (or not).

I realize running the HPL oil for all future oil changes would be ideal but at approximately $120 for each oil change this would be about twice the cost of the above mentioned oils. It is only twice the cost because I figured in changing HPL every 10K and the previous synthetic oils at 5K.

By the way, I drive about 15K per year.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Your # 3 is the way to go.

Thank all of you for your input. As I expected, there is no clear cut answer to the options I provided. Seems obvious, but if cost were no object then just switch to HPL.

I have chosen option #3 (subject to change). I am completing a 5K oil change using one quart of EC30. I will look at the filter for crud. Since I have another quart of EC30, I will likely run another 5K oil change with this plus Castrol Edge that I have on hand.

I just ordered a 12 qt pack of HPL Premium Plus 0w-20 and will run this for one year which is about 15K miles. That will leave me with 5 qts of HPL. Then I will decide if just to use one qt HPL with with Castrol Edge EP or Mobil 1 EP motor oil as a supplement.

I am hoping Dave will chime in if there could be any downside to the 1 qt Premium Plus used with the above mentioned oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back