All the locked threads...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I have never in my 20+ year online forum life seen a forum like this where threads are locked at the rate they are here. I'm a mod on a forum and several FB groups so I get how this all works but clearly, different rules etc. for each/set by the owner/etc. and I get that/not up to me here. My question is....why not just go after/warn the folks that repeatedly are the souce of the locking? Then the folks that want to participate can enjoy the dicussion. The ones that create the bickering or post comments of zero value in those threads/incite the issues are the ones that require the moderation, not the other participants. Basicaly we all suffer b/c it's easier to lock it vs. tell long-time forum users/high post count folks to cool it?

I have never in my 20+ year online forum life seen a forum like this where threads are locked at the rate they are here. I'm a mod on a forum and several FB groups so I get how this all works but clearly, different rules etc. for each/set by the owner/etc. and I get that/not up to me here. My question is....why not just go after/warn the folks that repeatedly are the souce of the locking? Then the folks that want to participate can enjoy the dicussion. The ones that create the bickering or post comments of zero value in those threads/incite the issues are the ones that require the moderation, not the other participants. Basicaly we all suffer b/c it's easier to lock it vs. tell long-time forum users/high post count folks to cool it?
I disagree. The excellent moderation and locking of useless threads is what makes BITOG great. Keep up the good work, mods!

I disagree. The excellent moderation and locking of useless threads is what makes BITOG great. Keep up the good work, mods!
Also - I agree that the moderation here is v. good, not saying it's not. So why not moderate then? Moderation to me isn't just locking a thread that has back/forth, but I'll agree as a forum mod/FB group mod it's sure easier.

I agree with @TiGeo, but do have a couple things to note in mods' defense, somewhat...
I believe back in the day, when I was still lurking without being registered, mods did enforce "vacations" for offending members a lot more often than today. Then those members created tons of troll accounts and flooded mods with more work. In that regard - they kill a few birds with one stone throw. Thread is locked, no members are personally offended, less troll accounts and threads to deal with... IDK, just my theory.

We just had a conversation about this on the monthly Mod's call.

We have a policy that any thread that has not had a reply in the last two years gets auto locked by the system. Replies to old threads are usually spam, so we just lock them.

If you aren't a mod on this website, you have no idea how much work we put into fighting spam. It's tiring.

We are going to start shifting our lock policy from "just lock the thread" because of bickering, personal insults, etc. to banning the individual(s) who are responsible from posting just in that thread and not lock the thread.

However, if the thread clearly violates our no RSP policy, then we will lock or remove the thread and possibly give the offender some time off.

If someone makes an egregious post, then our normal ban policy applies.

Why do you care whether threads you don't like are locked or maybe others don't find them "useless"? Just don't read them/particpate, simple.
The locked stuff I see is mostly quite a few years old, and looking at them - they seem to be locked just because they are old.

This one for example: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/anyone-ever-use-a-fish-carburetor.214177/#post-3314494

I would be happy to answer that question (as my name and avatar hints) - but no dice.

Frank

I often laugh when I see fighting break out on other forums and how it ends up just fizzling out. It's rarely ever regulated. This is by far the strictist forum I've ever been on. Not saying it's good or bad. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back