Forum Suggestion-Seriously-Fix The Word Censor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hpb
If I may suggest another word to remove from the censored list please? The abbreviated version of Japanese. I'm not sure why this is considered swearing?
It's not swearing per se, but at least in North America, it is considered a derogatory term - an ethnic slur.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by hpb
If I may suggest another word to remove from the censored list please? The abbreviated version of Japanese. I'm not sure why this is considered swearing?
It's not swearing per se, but at least in North America, it is considered a derogatory term - an ethnic slur.

That's no doubt why it's filtered. Funny thing is, unless you're over 60 years old, you've probably never said the word !

There are likely similar words for those of Mexican heritage, Chinese, etc, etc too.

As I've posted before, I really don't have an issue with the swear filter here and what's on it. I do think, however, sometimes, of Grandpa Simpson writing the TV people about the words he wants taken off of TV.

Wayne, can we please add family jewels to the swear filter?
wink.gif

I thing that the question "Can I run xWxx in my [fill in blank]" should be censored.

I do think it is silly to censor words because your mind automatically fills it in anyways. If anything it is worse because the censor is making me think it without having seen it. I don't think a person exists that sees [censored] or hears a beep over a bad word and automatically thinks of a good word in its place. If anything I would rather it be censored in the Charlie Brown style because that just makes me chuckle thinking back to the days when I didn't realise that was cursing. *@#&&$%

That being said I do like not being around swearing or aggressive language but only because I act in the same manor that I am exposed to. I like to be a good example for my kids but it is hard some times.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
I thing that the question "Can I run xWxx in my [fill in blank]" should be censored.

That would eliminate 3/4 of the posts in the main sub-forum !

Can we add "Planning to use XXXX in my YYY, interval ZZZ, etc, etc. What do you think of my plan?" too ?

How about adding "CAFE" to the censor. Seems some people like to hit the Notify button if someone starts taking about CAFE.
lol.gif

Or how about adding every members usename to be censored out, as it seem some people like to hit the Notify button if you mention their username in a post.

And please fix the "rolleyes" emoji ... it's kind of useful sometimes to get a message across.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by hpb

Really? I had no idea. Common, everyday word here, in no way, shape or form seen as derogatory. Fair enough though, guess it'll stay censored. Thanks.

Yes, that is true. I've seen interviews and so forth from Australia, and it seemed to be no issue there. The Canadian experience is much like the American one. The only ones you'll ever see use the word currently are probably the generation of WWII veterans. To be honest, the last time I heard it used in a conversation was back around maybe 1983, when my maternal grandfather, even older, a WWI veteran, was warning my parents to be cognizant of what the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor and to not get caught off guard there.
wink.gif
Other than that, to find it used here in a common fashion, I have to go back to Disney and Warner Brothers WWII shorts. The slang for the Germans contemporary to that time is also in the filter, which fits in with the Grandpa Simpson era.

Originally Posted by Garak
The only ones you'll ever see use the word currently are probably the generation of WWII veterans. To be honest, the last time I heard it used in a conversation was back around maybe 1983...

...which fits in with the Grandpa Simpson era.

In our old house, we pulled up the carpet and then a couple layers of floor covering in one room. Someone used newspapers from WWII to lay between the wood and the first layer at that time. It was all still readable (I have pictures still) and referred to eat events, casualties, and what the Japs-anese were doing. The newspaper used that term a lot!

I don't doubt it! My grandfather was a pretty big history junkie, and I was, too, as a kid. We'd both be talking about WWI history and the royal families of the time, and my parents would look at us like we were nuts.
wink.gif

I read a lot of UK based car and motorcycle magazines, and they use the abbreviated term for Japanese all the time, in describing the country of origin. To me, it's no different to saying "I'm from Oz", it's just shortening the name. Be interesting to get a Japanese person's take on it!

Originally Posted by hpb
I read a lot of UK based car and motorcycle magazines, and they use the abbreviated term for Japanese all the time, in describing the country of origin. To me, it's no different to saying "I'm from Oz", it's just shortening the name. Be interesting to get a Japanese person's take on it!

I pretty much know what their response will be. The UK and Oz wasn't attacked by Japan, nor rounded up the Japanese people in this country during WWII and imprisoned them in camps.

Go Google if the expression is deragatory, lots of hits about the subject matter.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by hpb

I pretty much know what their response will be. The UK and Oz wasn't attacked by Japan, nor rounded up the Japanese people in this country during WWII and imprisoned them in camps.

Go Google if the expression is deragatory, lots of hits about the subject matter.

You don't know much about the war in the Pacific...

Ask the Aussies, doubt they share the specious assessment above.

Last edited:
Different culture, you should know that. And you should also know why the term is derogatory in the US. Go Google what I suggested. Wikipedia has a pretty good write-up about it, so go check that out.

This chat board resides and operates in the USA, not the UK or Australia.

ZeeOSix, whilst your WW2 knowledge leaves a little to be desired, I did the google search you recommended, and I now understand the American point of view regarding the abbreviated version of Japan. Funny how something that is mainstream, everyday language in one country is considered racist in another. Cheers!

Originally Posted by hpb
ZeeOSix, whilst your WW2 knowledge leaves a little to be desired, I did the google search you recommended, and I now understand the American point of view regarding the abbreviated version of Japan. Funny how something that is mainstream, everyday language in one country is considered racist in another. Cheers!

You and Astro missed my point about my WWII comment. I was talking in the context of how the US viewed the war - not any other country, and how the US treated the Japanese people living here when the US officially entered the war ... which didn't happen until Pearl Harbor was attacked.

There is history and a reason why the word is considered derogatory in the US and by Japanese people. And if you read up on the subject matter, most Japanese still condider the term derogatory regardless if people in the UK or Oz or any other country consider it not to be deragatory.

Originally Posted by honeeagle
happened to me a few years ago(what the OP stated) ,humiliating
so I left for 3 years (at least).Treat people like adults please.This is a site that attracts "car guys and gear heads " not little old ladies trading knitting ideas.

I spend time on sailing anarchy - now that is a self moderated forum

Thank you- that was my exact point!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back