Forum Suggestion-Seriously-Fix The Word Censor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
I treat the censor as another way to improve my speech.
grin2.gif

Agreed, I have never tried to make a post where it was so crucial and so central to my intent that I was unable to make a point without using a censored word.

But maybe that's just me, despite accusations to the contrary I am content to live in the confines presented by the owners of this board.

Perhaps we can tackle this question in another way. Which of the censored words are so crucial to an oil forum, that we really need to be able to type them and read them? Seriously, even if this was an anatomy forum, I don't know that those words would need to be used.

Since donations were brought up, I'm not sure that's a good argument to use to weaken the censoring here. Some might be more likely to donate to an oil forum if they could more freely type in words for excrement, but others who would donate, might be turned off from donating if more drivel from the interwebs was to be found here. I'm not sure that the forum would gain money by allowing these terms to be typed out and read.

I remember not being able to type the common term for a radiator drain valve.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
I remember not being able to type the common term for a radiator drain.

The whole term, petcock, is not censored. I just tested it in the test forum.

This was some time ago...glad it was changed.

Does the abbreviation work now? I'm afraid to test it
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
kraut should not be censored. We run into it in the Food/Cooking subforum a lot.
smile.gif

Done

Democracy in action!
crazy.gif
No wait... benevolent dictatorship?
thumbsup2.gif

Thank you sir for this forum. The effort to keep it civil and a nice place to visit is not unappreciated. With that goal in mind over censoring is preferable to under. Agree that bird excrement or bird droppings or bird feces isn't the way we talk. Bird [censored] is certainly in the common lexicon and it's hard to imagine even my grandmother being offended by saying it. Still, not enough to ruin one's day surely if other uses cross the line.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I remember not being able to type the common term for a radiator drain.

The whole term, petcock, is not censored. I just tested it in the test forum.

What if you're having trouble mating your pet hens with your pet cock?

//

IMO, there is a huge difference between the word and the context/use of the word. If I call you a piece of poop douche bag who should kill himself - none of that is censored.

A door knob isn't the same as some British dude calling me a knob

Eating spotted **** isn't the same as telling someone to eat the more derogatory, unspotted version of the two.

If I say a bird crapped on my car - crap should be allowed.

Where do you draw the line? Which curse words are so common as non-curse words that they can't be supplanted with a synonym?

Edit: looks like the above are no longer censored. Still, I would expect to be warned, based on some of the examples used above; likely banned for the first (kill yourself) comment or the **** one.

//

I was offended by the seemingly ridiculous censor here, but not so much any longer. Every so often, I feel that I need to curse to truly express my anger at something (outside of anything/any one within the forum). I expect these words to be censored, and understand that the use of a word that will be censored is 99% for me, not anyone reading my post.

To bypass a word that is known to be filtered is worse than the use of censored words. THAT is childish. Well, maybe more silly than childish. My wife still won't curse in her texts, even if it's just her texting me. She'll throw in special characters to make up the curses or spell them differently. I give her a hard time over it. Either curse or find a different word you're more comfortable with. No one can HEAR my texts - it's private communication.

Last edited:
This is the problem with English language - a single word can have so many meanings, some of them being considered impolite. I suggest we switch to some other language.
smile.gif

No need for c--p when "junk" does just fine.

But that's just, me I've long have a personal disgust with the words C--P and C_ C_

He_ _ ?

That is just PLAIN SILLY.

Just a couple short thoughts.

Just another important thought.

Religious euphemisms should be censored. I havent tested them, though I've been guilty of spouting "Jeepers" but no Crow following.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
This!

Maybe they should rename the forum Igor is the Oil Guy.

Yeah, but then it would be IITOG.

I say we go with Boris.
smile.gif

I'm getting pretty tired of my use of the ellipsis getting me a very passive aggressive "warning" about bypassing the censor

Between the play as you go rules, the horrendous gatekeeping, and frequent troll posts, I've noticed I post less and less here

Darn shame, it used to be about the oil
frown.gif

I've never understood for the life of me how grown adults can be offended by any "bad words", no matter what they are. But I do realize some people are, so I adjust my vocabulary accordingly.

I mean really, if I smash my finger with a hammer and yell "gosh darnit!" in your presence, would you be offended? If not, and I replaced "gosh" and "darn" with it's socially unacceptable counterpart, would you suddenly find that offensive, even though the fundamental meaning didnt change at all? A lot of people would be. Never understood why, but some other mother father makes the rules, not me....

That being said, if you really cant figure out how to compose a post without running afoul of the word censor, perhaps the word censor isnt the problem.

If anyone needs free outside help replacing banned words, send me a private message with all the bad words you use in your daily life and I will send you completely acceptable, clean, socially responsible substitutes. Completely free of charge! This isnt rocket science.

The word censor here is totally ridiculous. For example it will censor the word wh0re, but not whorehouse. Where wh0res work. There are several other uses that are not profane in the least, but it will censor.

Originally Posted By: quint
I've never understood for the life of me how grown adults can be offended by any "bad words", no matter what they are.

I've never understood it either. It's really irritating when I watch a movie on cable. For example, if the movie is shown on Sundance, or FXX, they censor any and all "bad language". But the same movie shown on EPIX or IFC will not have any censorship in regards to language. All are standard, and not premium channels.

I want to see and hear the movie the way the writers and director made it. Not by having it censored by some holier than thou cable station. Who thinks it's there job to protect my virgin ears. Which have heard far worse when I was 9 years old, and played in a grammar school playground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back