Forum Suggestion-Seriously-Fix The Word Censor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Cable stations are required to do this by the FCC, so blame them.

Then why isn't it unilateral? Because it's not. Some do and some don't. As I said, the stations I mentioned are all standard package channels. Not extra cost premium channels, that are known for non censorship. Like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and the like. So if the FCC is forcing this, it is apparent several are not adhering to it.

It would appear the FCC has nothing to do with any of this.

https://www.quora.com/Why-can-IFC-air-movies-uncut-but-AMC-and-FX-censor-them

"Why can IFC air movies uncut, but AMC and FX censor them?"

"Cable networks largely censor their own programming, by their own standards."

I've been censored and it made me mad, until I realized this is not a "public" forum. It's Helen's playground and she can run it any way she likes ...
smile.gif

If it were mine, I'd do that too. I just needed to get my head around that and then try to fit in.

Fit or fly - no matter to me. It's a community with set of principals and rules. It is NOT UC Berkeley ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I've been censored and it made me mad, until I realized this is not a "public" forum. It's Helen's playground and she can run it any way she likes ...
smile.gif

If it were mine, I'd do that too. I just needed to get my head around that and then try to fit in.

Fit or fly - no matter to me. It's a community with set of principals and rules. It is NOT UC Berkeley ...

The problem is not the automatic stuff … it’s how this guy who started a thread today by hiding his profanity … it got reported and yet it lives on …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
smile.gif

The problem is not the automatic stuff … it’s how this guy who started a thread today by hiding his profanity … it got reported and yet it lives on …

I agree and noted it myself as you did. I think that was over the top.
He pushed it to the limit and it was ignored. Consistency is a must.
Too many mods leads to confusion as well as each one interprets the rules differently.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
No need for c--p when "junk" does just fine.

But that's just, me I've long have a personal disgust with the words C--P and C_ C_

My first trip to Romania we had lunch at a buffet place … that’s how they translated carp in English … about the same for me so went with chicken …

I pointed out in another thread that the swear filter is what it is. There are some words that maybe shouldn't be in there and maybe some that should be added. We'll get all kinds of valid points on both side of the argument. Nonetheless, we have the filter we have, and the simplest way, the way of least resistance, is to deal with what we have. If you want to use a word that triggers the swear filter, go ahead. That's never really been an issue, assuming someone doesn't go overboard. Don't try to bypass the swear filter, since that does violate the rules.

happened to me a few years ago(what the OP stated) ,humiliating
so I left for 3 years (at least).Treat people like adults please.This is a site that attracts "car guys and gear heads " not little old ladies trading knitting ideas.

I spend time on sailing anarchy - now that is a self moderated forum

What would be nice is a user-setting to censor words or not censor words. That way, the adults can see the posts just as the poster wrote them while the goody-goody folks don't get offended !

Personally, the entire list of filtered could be thrown out for all I care. If any words should be censored, the 'f-word' that rhymes with 'duck' is the only one to include. I use the word myself, probably never type it though, plus I won't use it around many people.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
What would be nice is a user-setting to censor words or not censor words. That way, the adults can see the posts just as the poster wrote them while the goody-goody folks don't get offended !

Just hit the 'quote' button on a user's post and you will see the uncensored version.

I know I can do that but what if there are two posts with censored words or more posts ? Hitting "quote" just to read it is silly. Granted, in most cases I know what word is probably used from the context.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I know I can do that but what if there are two posts with censored words or more posts ? Hitting "quote" just to read it is silly. Granted, in most cases I know what word is probably used from the context.

Shh they don't know that!

The only word that I run into is (and excuse my attempt to over-ride the censor) a s s. I know many Americans and I realize that in the US "butt" is the preferred usage, but in Canada the other is very common and not considered vulgar.

I got banned once for typing foul words -in jest- and letting the word censor do its job. I thought it was the most [censored] thing I'd ever heard of. Absolute nonsense all because the fourm will show you what was said when you quote. Thats NOT my problem, nor did I know about it at the time. Take it up with the people who make the forum software.
MFW:

So now, I actually type [censored] when I want to convey foul language. Can't be banned for having foul language where there is none.
smile.gif

[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]
[censored]

If I may suggest another word to remove from the censored list please? The abbreviated version of Japanese. I'm not sure why this is considered swearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back