All Oil Ain't the Same

I take care of 8 cars. I, too, stocked up on RGT when it was $10/gal. 2 of the cars starting using oil at an alarming rate.
The Camry used 2 qts in 3500 miles. I know because after I drained it I noticed the oil pan was really light. So I measured
it and there was only 3.25 qts in the oil pan.

I also noted that when I drained the RGE it has a red tint to it as I watched it drain out. The oil in every case was coal black.
Coal black with a red tint. You saw the red tint when it was draining out and on the paper towels used for wiping up.

Remember, I change every 3k. I don't normally check the oil as I change it so often. Before the oil was still brown at changing.

Anyways, I am going back to what I used before. Thank goodness my mechanic is taking the RGT as a credit for future work.
I got 6 cases of gallons plus 3 single gallons.

I take care of 8 cars. I, too, stocked up on RGT when it was $10/gal. 2 of the cars starting using oil at an alarming rate.
The Camry used 2 qts in 3500 miles. I know because after I drained it I noticed the oil pan was really light. So I measured
it and there was only 3.25 qts in the oil pan.

I also noted that when I drained the RGE it has a red tint to it as I watched it drain out. The oil in every case was coal black.
Coal black with a red tint. You saw the red tint when it was draining out and on the paper towels used for wiping up.

Remember, I change every 3k. I don't normally check the oil as I change it so often. Before the oil was still brown at changing.

Anyways, I am going back to what I used before. Thank goodness my mechanic is taking the RGT as a credit for future work.
I got 6 cases of gallons plus 3 single gallons.
Now I'm second guessing my next change. I have RGT scheduled in about 2000 miles. I think maybe I'll look for something else before then.

Yeah depending on what you use in those Camry what I have found is they are very sensitive especially the new ones because the oil ports are so small. Which is why a W-20 is recommended. So if you weren’t using a W-20 I could see why it used a lot. Depending on the year and engine some of them had consumption issues.

Some cars just like certain brands of oil. My 19' Sorento is fine with PP and QS but burned M1. My neighbor is good with Supertech but burns PP. Pick an API full synth that your vehicles like and simply use it. Maintenance and a good oil filter is 1000x more important than brand of oil.

Yeah depending on what you use in those Camry what I have found is they are very sensitive especially the new ones because the oil ports are so small. Which is why a W-20 is recommended. So if you weren’t using a W-20 I could see why it used a lot. Depending on the year and engine some of them had consumption issues.
That's why he lost oil.
The Camry was designed to reduce oil volume unless you use 0W16
because less oil flows easier into those tight holes

That's why he lost oil.
The Camry was designed to reduce oil volume unless you use 0W16
because less oil flows easier into those tight holes
Honest question. Oil is orders of magnitude more viscous when cold compared to operating temp and the difference between 0W16, 0W20 and 5W30 at operating temp is incredibly small compared to cold and operating temp viscosity differences. If oil ports were that sensitive to viscosity differences wouldn’t these engine detonate when cold?

Back