All Oil Ain't the Same

Still has to flow through the ports? I’m mean if 2.4, 2.7 and 3.0 is enough of a difference to cause problems?
No, 2.4 vs 2.7 vs 3.0 doesn't make any difference to a PD oil pump.

Yes it does still flow the oil ... a PD oil pump ensures that happens, it forces oil volume and if it takes more pressure then that's what happens, the output pressure of the PD will just increase enough to put the same volume through the oiling system. That is the main reason that PD pumps are used in engine oiling systems.

The PD oil pump ... so misunderstood. :cry:

Yes it does ... and a PD oil pump ensures that happens, it forces oil volume and if it takes more pressure then that's what happens, the output pressure of the PD will just increase enough to put the same volume through the oiling system.

The PD oil pump ... so misunderstood. :cry:
So if a PD oil pump and the associated oil ports and passages can ensure sufficient oil flow at 0C when oil is cold and nearly 500x more viscous than at a temperature of 100C you mean to tell me the 15% difference between 0W20 and 5W30 is detrimental at operating temp? I’m just asking because someone stated they believed the issue was the engine was designed for 0W-16 and the oil passages/ports being too restrictive are the cause of this problem. I just don’t see how that could be true. Same goes for people who worry using 5W30 will have some detrimental effect on VVT. If VVT can accommodate cold oil it certainly can accommodate the difference between 20 and 30 weight oil.

Attachments

• B5187114-8645-450E-8F71-800B21EBBEA8.jpg
    B5187114-8645-450E-8F71-800B21EBBEA8.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
So if a PD oil pump and the associated oil ports and passages can ensure sufficient oil flow at 0C when oil is cold and nearly 500x more viscous than at a temperature of 100C you mean to tell me the 15% difference between 0W20 and 5W30 is detrimental at operating temp? I’m just asking because someone stated they believed the issue was the engine was designed for 0W-16 and the oil passages/ports being too restrictive are the cause of this problem. I just don’t see how that could be true. Same goes for people who worry using 5W30 will have some detrimental effect on VVT. If VVT can accommodate cold oil it certainly can accommodate the difference between 20 and 30 weight oil.
It's not true - like I said, the PD oil pump will ensure proper lubrication. If it didn't you'd see so many blown up engines your head would spin. :D

Anyone who believes running a thicker oil (within reason) is going to be harmful hasn't read enough threads on BITOG. How many threads have we seen where the same engines used around the world specify a large range of oil viscosity, and only specify one (driven by CAFE) in the USA .... ??

Everyone should bone up on PD oil pumps ... seems to be a very misunderstood thing on BITOG when it should be one of the least misunderstood things about an engine oiling system on a chat board about engines and oil.

It's not true - like I said, the PD oil pump will ensure proper lubrication. If it didn't you'd see so many blown up engines your head would spin. :D

Anyone who believes running a thicker oil (within reason) is going to be harmful hasn't read enough threads on BITOG. How many threads have we seen where the same engines used around the world specify a large range of oil viscosity, and only specify one (driven by CAFE) in the USA .... ??

Bone up on PD oil pumps ... seems to be a very misunderstood thing on BITOG when it should be one of the least misunderstood thing about an engine oiling system.
Agree!

It’s a 99 Camry that previously used “no” oil. The GX 470 was the other one that started using. It’s gonna be awhile to see if this was oil related or engine related.

Jeesh Louise
I stand corrected, they are 5 qt containers. What a dumbo...

I now may have the cleanest engines in town. IDK?? All that blackness may be the RGT cleaning up my engines. IDK???

it is interesting that some people switch oils and nothing changes. Some people switch oils and some things change.

I’m not trying to bash any oil.

To be fair, a lot of members here have experienced oil consumption with Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I haven’t tried RGT and I have no plans to, but it seems a lot of people have consumption issues with Pennzoil synthetics.

If VVT can accommodate cold oil it certainly can accommodate the difference between 20 and 30 weight oil.
Yes, VVT systems can accommodate cold oil just fine. Cold engine, cold coolant temperature, cold oil, the engine will run just fine.

But also know that as the engine warms up, the ECM starts adjusting the VVT as needed for performance and fuel economy. On a fully warmed up engine the ECM can detect if an oil is too thick, and adjust the VVT timing, reducing fuel economy. Chrysler experimented 15 years ago with adding a oil viscosity trouble code with the MDS Hemi, detecting if the wrong oil viscosity was used. Most manufacturers don’t have a dedicated engine trouble code for the wrong oil viscosity, but you can be certain that all ECM’s constantly monitor VVT operation and can advance or retard the valve timing based on the oil viscosity.

RGT just might be the best oil I’ve used. I used it in my Silverado, it cut my oil consumption down. Used it in my Avalon...did what every other does in my Avalon...not use a drop, quiet, doesn’t turn dark and then I drain it after 5,000 miles.

There have been multiple “test” videos on it on YouTube...UOA after 14,000 miles, tested great with great returns from the analysis. Project Farm had a competition/playoff with 16 different major brands competing against each other...I think it finished 4th or 3rd, with Amsoil winning.

Aside from having the ugliest bottle in the business, I like like it. Having said that, I only buy whatever I can get on rebate or sale...right now that’s Pennzoil platinum...which I believe is made by the same company that makes RGT. And I’m currently working down my stash...just changed my oil yesterday using Quaker State Ultimate Durability (which I believe also is made by the same manufacturer as RGT).

I've used it for three oil changes in two different engines...no issues found with using it yet and neither of the two vehicles have acted any different from the full synthetic engine oil they received prior to use of Shell RGT...

Bill

Last edited:
I take care of 8 cars. I, too, stocked up on RGT when it was $10/gal. 2 of the cars starting using oil at an alarming rate.
The Camry used 2 qts in 3500 miles. I know because after I drained it I noticed the oil pan was really light. So I measured
it and there was only 3.25 qts in the oil pan.

I also noted that when I drained the RGE it has a red tint to it as I watched it drain out. The oil in every case was coal black.
Coal black with a red tint. You saw the red tint when it was draining out and on the paper towels used for wiping up.

Remember, I change every 3k. I don't normally check the oil as I change it so often. Before the oil was still brown at changing.

Anyways, I am going back to what I used before. Thank goodness my mechanic is taking the RGT as a credit for future work.
I got 6 cases of gallons plus 3 single gallons.
I use RGT 5w-30 and RGT 5w-20 regularly in the 11 fleet vehicles I take care of. Not a single one with oil consumption issues and they are all ran for a minimum of 6K miles, usually closer to 8-10K. As far as the tint, there's a lot of different oils that will have a reddish tint to it when draining. I've seen the same thing with Castrol and Valvoline. If your oil is "coal black" after 3K miles (especially as stout an oil as RGT) then the cause for that is likely due to your engines, it's definitely not a common thing for that oil to be "coal black" after 3K miles. Blaming the oil is jumping the gun a little bit here. Especially if you don't even get a UOA. Speaking of which, I am headed out here shortly to do fleet maintenance and I'll be getting UOAs on 5 vehicles all running RGT. I'll be posting those to the UOA section when I get them back.

I just changed out 0W20 RGT on my Tundra with 5000 miles on the oil. No oil consumption and just sent it for a UOA. Also, I just put 0W20 RGT into my wife's Rx 350 and that will be a 10,000 mile OCI. We'll see how it does with shearing.

one thing i always note is a xx- 20W can be from 6.9 to 9.3 from shells specs anything more its a xx-30 so there can be very LITTLE-VERY LITTLE viscosity difference between thick 20's + thin 30's

All purchased from AAP. 6 different stores in 3 counties

like I said, I ain’t bashing any oil. I probably should not have mentioned the brand. If I had a do over, I wouldn’t. My mistake. I don’t hate RGT.

just trying to point out that some oils may work better for your cars than others. That’s all.
I am questioning if it is a good idea to change brands. I can’t prove anything but I am thinking it’s best to pick an oil and stick with it.

one thing i always note is a xx- 20W can be from 6.9 to 9.3 from shells specs anything more its a xx-30 so there can be very LITTLE-VERY LITTLE viscosity difference between thick 20's + thin 30's
Yup, and even though there can be less of difference between a thick 20 and a thin 30 than there is between a thin 20 and a thick 20 they believe it will be a problem.

I take care of 8 cars. I, too, stocked up on RGT when it was $10/gal. 2 of the cars starting using oil at an alarming rate.
The Camry used 2 qts in 3500 miles. I know because after I drained it I noticed the oil pan was really light. So I measured
it and there was only 3.25 qts in the oil pan.

I also noted that when I drained the RGE it has a red tint to it as I watched it drain out. The oil in every case was coal black.
Coal black with a red tint. You saw the red tint when it was draining out and on the paper towels used for wiping up.

Remember, I change every 3k. I don't normally check the oil as I change it so often. Before the oil was still brown at changing.

Anyways, I am going back to what I used before. Thank goodness my mechanic is taking the RGT as a credit for future work.
I got 6 cases of gallons plus 3 single gallons.
I ran RGT for a few intervals of up to 7500 miles and never went below the full mark.
Cerrelation does not necessarily mean causation. In this case I wonder if a Mechanical condition developed during or before the interval.

Back