All Oil Ain't the Same

I ran RGT for a few intervals of up to 7500 miles and never went below the full mark.
Cerrelation does not necessarily mean causation. In this case I wonder if a Mechanical condition developed during or before the interval.
Sure, it’s possible. But it happened on 2 different cars. I won’t know anything for 5-6k

gonna go through 2 OCI’s and see what happens to consumption.

Sure, it’s possible. But it happened on 2 different cars. I won’t know anything for 5-6k

gonna go through 2 OCI’s and see what happens to consumption.
Strange things happen. My little three cylinder did not do well on Mobil 1. I know that Mobil 1 is a very fine, quality oil.
???

All purchased from AAP. 6 different stores in 3 counties

like I said, I ain’t bashing any oil. I probably should not have mentioned the brand. If I had a do over, I wouldn’t. My mistake. I don’t hate RGT.

just trying to point out that some oils may work better for your cars than others. That’s all.
I am questioning if it is a good idea to change brands. I can’t prove anything but I am thinking it’s best to pick an oil and stick with it.
I question if you should just stick with one brand too, and I kind of think it’s BS. I’ve always used different brands throughout the life of my cars (try to keep them at least 200,000 or more if I can). Then again I usually have started to experience oil consumption after 150,000-200,000 miles...maybe that’s because I’m always switching brands? I doubt it, but if someone can explain to me that it might be, I’ll listen.

My first course of action will be to move the RGT behind other jugs in my stash … at least while this plays out.
Besides the only comment I‘m sure about is they are ugly-jugs 😳

If I could find them for a couple of my applications, I'm almost tempted to switch to centrifugal pumps JUST to open up a new thread about thick vs thin, MOFT vs flow 🙃

Everyone should bone up on PD oil pumps ... seems to be a very misunderstood thing on BITOG when it should be one of the least misunderstood things about an engine oiling system on a chat board about engines and oil.

Isn't Rotella for diesel-powered trucks? I've avoided Supertech. I think it's crap meant to help sell new engines.

Wrong, whatever floats your boat and wrong, respectively, to the three sentences above.

Last edited:
No, 2.4 vs 2.7 vs 3.0 doesn't make any difference to a PD oil pump.

Yes it does still flow the oil ... a PD oil pump ensures that happens, it forces oil volume and if it takes more pressure then that's what happens, the output pressure of the PD will just increase enough to put the same volume through the oiling system. That is the main reason that PD pumps are used in engine oiling systems.

The PD oil pump ... so misunderstood. :cry:
Here you go with that again.
If you have bypass/regulator around the pump you DO NOT have an effective positive displacement OIL FLOW.
So if oil was not flowing you would have static head of say 60-70 PSIg and the volume of oil would flow around the pump

If it wasn't for bypass we would be blowing filter cans open and base gaskets off cars in cold weather.

-Ken

All purchased from AAP. 6 different stores in 3 counties

like I said, I ain’t bashing any oil. I probably should not have mentioned the brand. If I had a do over, I wouldn’t. My mistake. I don’t hate RGT.

just trying to point out that some oils may work better for your cars than others. That’s all.
I am questioning if it is a good idea to change brands. I can’t prove anything but I am thinking it’s best to pick an oil and stick with it.
I ran it in the Subaru - Nothing special in performance or fuel mileage. Wont use again.
Previously, PP got drunk like A kegger on a Friday night in the Subaru. And I didnt run well in The Nissan either.
I'm done with the stuff. Valvoline Advanced is the Ne Pus Ultra of pseudo-synthetic ILSAC oils today

I do not like new GTL base oil, Sam I am.

I will not run it in a truck, I will not run it in a car,
I will not use it to travel near and far
I might consider it in a diesel,
but I would not use it to shine a weasel

As the Rabbi once said to the Mohel
I would advise against running GTL base oil

- Ken

Yeah depending on what you use in those Camry what I have found is they are very sensitive especially the new ones because the oil ports are so small. Which is why a W-20 is recommended. So if you weren’t using a W-20 I could see why it used a lot. Depending on the year and engine some of them had consumption issues.
20 v 30 grade doesn't affect oil usage on healthy engines.
The oil "ports" are sufficiently large.

Your story of the 20W50 Toyota engine failure is likely all to do with the teen operating the car.

Or that in combination of A Improperly spec;d Thailand Denso oil filter media.
I have sufficiently PROVEN bad lots of "genuine toyota" filters existed in the past

Back