aircooled VW and Mobil 1

I've been using M1 15w-50 in my 73 beetle for about a year now, and I've noticed when I change the oil it's very black. Before the M1 ,I used Valvoline 40w racing oil and it never got that dark. Would I be better off using the Valvoline instead? I change the oil every two thousand miles.Thanks for your help.

Having owned many VW's (2 buses, 1 camper, a bug, and a 412), I would say the M1 is doing some cleaning. Give it a couple of oil changes and let us know. Kinda like putting fresh oil in a lawnmower; it's bound to pick up the "past sins" of others.

quote:
Originally posted by aircooled73: I've actually changed the oil six times in the past year, and it always is black. Even though it's changed every two-thousand miles!
Run a used oil analysis! Color doesnt mean anything! I suspect the oil is doing its job and keeping the particles suspended turning it black. The previous oil might not have a done as good of job keeping the paticles in suspension. This would have made for cleaner oil but dirtier engine. If you still want a alternative... I would usually suggest a high detergent Diesel/Fleet oil like Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 (Group III) for $12 gallon at WalMart but I dont know what is advisable with no filter. Gene [ June 24, 2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]