aircooled VW and Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using M1 15w-50 in my 73 beetle for about a year now, and I've noticed when I change the oil it's very black. Before the M1 ,I used Valvoline 40w racing oil and it never got that dark. Would I be better off using the Valvoline instead? I change the oil every two thousand miles.Thanks for your help.

Oil turning dark means the oil is doing it's job. No, stay with M1.

Having owned many VW's (2 buses, 1 camper, a bug, and a 412), I would say the M1 is doing some cleaning. Give it a couple of oil changes and let us know. Kinda like putting fresh oil in a lawnmower; it's bound to pick up the "past sins" of others.

I've actually changed the oil six times in the past year, and it always is black. Even though it's changed every two-thousand miles!

quote:

Originally posted by aircooled73:
I've actually changed the oil six times in the past year, and it always is black. Even though it's changed every two-thousand miles!

Run a used oil analysis! Color doesnt mean anything!

I suspect the oil is doing its job and keeping the particles suspended turning it black. The previous oil might not have a done as good of job keeping the paticles in suspension. This would have made for cleaner oil but dirtier engine.

If you still want a alternative... I would usually suggest a high detergent Diesel/Fleet oil like Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 (Group III) for $12 gallon at WalMart but I dont know what is advisable with no filter.

Gene

[ June 24, 2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back