Air leveling (?) on Buick PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, all,

My regular mechanic, inspecting the '03 Park Avenue for the source of my recent low-speed wobble, found an egg on the LR tire. I'll have to go buy another one (grumble, grumble). But he also says the rear shocks are going. I've noticed the beast does bounce a bit more recently, but I'd put it down to the horrible streets here.

He says that these shocks are part of an air-powered load-leveling system. He thinks that, instead of my spending $168 each (!!!) for the special dealer-only shocks, he could put regular HD shocks on there and disconnect the motor that levels the rear. According to him, the leveling system is just for that -- if you place heavy loads in the trunk -- and doesn't affect the ride.

I've heard tell of people switching their air suspension to a regular steel setup, for example, on some older Mercedes. Does this sound right for the PA?

gmpartsdirect.com has them for $103 or $97, I can't tell which is the right one for your car.

Your mechanic's solution sounds reasonable as long as you don't care about the leveling feature. It's probably no big loss.

To know what you are getting into, you should be sure to see how your car sits and rides with no air pressure in the leveling shocks before you commit to ripping them out.

No, XS650, I don't care about the leveling. I don't transport bodies in my trunk (gave that up for Lent), or loads of bricks, etc. At present, I don't even run more than 1 passenger.

You're right; I want to be sure the ride quality won't be affected. Has anyone else done this?

ditto XS650
I have replaced the air shocks on Lincoln Continentals with heavy duty police springs and shocks.
I hate air ride suspensions - so little benefit and so much cost!

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
He says that these shocks are part of an air-powered load-leveling system. He thinks that, instead of my spending $168 each (!!!) for the special dealer-only shocks, he could put regular HD shocks on there and disconnect the motor that levels the rear.

DON'T DO IT!

The automatic level control is the best part of the car!

Benzadmiral,

Don't you know how to search auto parts online?
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

I hate air ride suspensions - so little benefit and so much cost!

This is not an air ride suspension; it has a load sensing device that raises and lowers the trunk level depending on the load applied to the trunk; that's it!
06.gif

There's a reason why you'll never see a Buick Park Avenue/LeSabre with a sagging back end while transporting two fat ladies in the back seat; it's called Automatic Level Control.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Benzadmiral,

Don't you know how to search auto parts online?
spankme2.gif

Of course I do . . . but there are so many sites, and if you don't know the exact terminology used --! I searched for "shocks" and "Buick," for example, and all I saw were the regular ones from KYB and other companies.

If "level control" is the term to use, I'll try that. However, on GMpartsdirect.com and other sites, I see no reference to that, only for a "strut" that runs $173 each. Not to mention a lot of the sites use the same database!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
He thinks that, instead of my spending $168 each (!!!)

$66.99 - $77.99 FOR THE PAIR!

Your mechanic is a liar!

Parts America

NAPA

He was getting his price from the local Buick dealership -- and I point out he's trying to *save* me money. The shocks on those links seem to be gas-charged shocks, all right. But are they the same as the OEM GM ones for the level control system?

I've found the original equipment units on GMpartsdirect.com, after the local dealer gave me the exact part numbers for my VIN. The site wants $244 total with shipping, but that's still better than $340 plus 9% local sales tax from the dealer. And this would only cost me about $50 more than if I got gas-charged "regular" shocks put on -- presuming it could be done. Has any of you dealt with GMpartsdirect? Are they fast and accurate?

(Gee, and I was wondering what to do with my so-called "rebate" check from Mr. Bush & Co. this summer. . . .)

Merkava - I guess if you could split hairs on the exact name, I could split hairs and say it is not only for trunk loads, but back seat loads as well.

I've found the original equipment units on GMpartsdirect.com, after the local dealer gave me the exact part numbers for my VIN. The site wants $244 total with shipping, but that's still better than $340 plus 9% local sales tax from the dealer. And this would only cost me about $50 more than if I got gas-charged "regular" shocks put on -- presuming it could be done. Has any of you dealt with GMpartsdirect? Are they fast and accurate?

(Gee, and I was wondering what to do with my so-called "rebate" check from Mr. Bush & Co. this summer. . . .)

Paul W. aka BenzAdmiral :)

I would keep the suspension stock if within $100.00 of changing it's load-leveling capability. I think you'll enjoy your car more, and it will last longer, before you modify it.

Air Ride does give you a better and softer ride, I prefer a car with it.

Paul C...BuickAdmiral II :)

Try NAPA, if you have AAA, you can get a discount, maybe 10%.

Benz, I've bought from GMPartsDirect a few times. I always got the right part in a reasonable amount of time.

There is another online GM place that I prefer (I couldn't remember the name last night), shipping is usually less and the service more personal if you need to talk to someone.
http://www.gmpartshouse.com/

The shocks on those links seem to be gas-charged shocks, all right. But are they the same as the OEM GM ones for the level control system?

They're actually supposed to be air shocks. Are they exactly the same as GM? I would assume they're either KYB or Monroe. Are you sure the mechanic didn't get a price for the whole entire system including the level sensors and the electric air pump? That seems to be an extremely high price.

As far as searches go, I just searched under 2003 Buick Park Avenue buy going through the drop down menus that ask for the year, make and model and then I click on [shocks/struts]. It's easy.

Here's a copy/paste from Rock Auto:

2003 : BUICK : PARK AVENUE : 3.8L 231 cubic inch V6 FI (K) : Suspension : Shock

Absorber View Advice
Related Parts
Item Price Core Total Add to Cart

MONROE Part # MA822 {Max Air Shock Absorbers / Packed in pairs / Includes air line, air fittings, and air fill kit where applicable.}
REAR; Sedan & Coupe; Exc. Elect. Adjust. Susp.; For Towing and Hauling; This part is pair packed/priced.
Choose:
+ Sold in packs of {x}; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack
More Info
See Options at Left

ACDELCO Part # 504547 {pkg of 2 - To Install, May Need Coversion Kit #PK097; Modifications to Hose Required to Fit #88946635}
ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK AIR ADJUSTABLE
More Info
$94.89 $0.00 $94.89

ACDELCO Part # 504109 {#19177314}
ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK w/SOFT RIDE SUSP(FE1)
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 12 business days
$118.79 $0.00 $118.79

Here's a copy/paste from NAPA:

The search returned 15 hits. Displayed are results 1 to 10.
1 2
| Next >>
Product Name Item Number Price Select
Strut - Sensa-Trac - Front

w/o Electronic Adjustable Suspension NS
$86.29

Strut - GR-2 Gas - Front (KYB)

Except Adjustable Suspension ATM
K236007
$132.19

Air Shock Kit - Rear

MA822
$77.99

Air Shock Kit - Rear

MA822
$77.99

Strut Bearing - Front

NCP
$37.49

Strut Bearing Plate w/o Bearing - Front

Bearing Not Included NCP
$47.49

Strut Bearing Plate w/ Bearing - Front

Contains Bearing NCP
$77.49

Strut Mount - Front Suspension

w/ Rear Air Leveling Except Adjustable Suspension ATM
KSM5276
$113.09

Strut Bumper Boot Kit - Front

$16.99

Strut Bumper Bellows - Front Suspension

Except Electronic Suspension NCP
$21.99

The search returned 15 hits. Displayed are results 1 to 10.
1 2
| Next >>

Here's a copy/paste of page two from NAPA:

d 15 hits. Displayed are results 11 to 15.
1 2
| Next >>
Product Name Item Number Price Select
Strut Spring Seat - Front Suspension

Upper NCP
$29.49

Lower NCP
$16.29

Except Adjustable Suspension w/ Insulator ATM
KSM5230
$51.09

Shock Mount - Rear Suspension

NCP
$56.99

Shock Mount - Rear Suspension

Except Adjustable Suspension ATM
KSM5017
$41.59

The search returned 15 hits. Displayed are results 11 to 15.
1 2
| Next >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back