Affordable accurate torque wrench for spark plugs

Every torque wrench comes with a cal cert. They're not worth the paper they're printed on.

I send mine out before use.
That is a good point. This is why I am here taking wisdom from the wise. Accurate but affordable, still looking.

Last edited:
...Every torque wrench comes with a cal cert...
Not true. As one glaring example, Precision Instruments does not supply a calibration certificate.

....They're not worth the paper they're printed on...
A ridiculous generalization. Do you really think the cal cert on a new $800 Snap-on torque wrench is worthless?

An airplane mechanic live one door away.
I took out my Sears & Roebuck flex beam torque Wrench and he asked if it was certified.
I said it was new.
He smiled.
I spent 16 years in the Air Force as a calibration technician. Another 10 years as a civilian calibration technician. At least 25% of the new torque wrenches I calibrated were out of tolerance. The worst were "Westward" from Grainger.

Most don't realize but torque wrenches are supposed to be stored in an enviromentally stable enviroment, like in the house. Not out in the garage\shed where it can get 100 to -20. Pluse if it is dropped it needs to be checked. This is what we were taught in the Air Force working on jet engines. PMEL did all our calibrations and such.

Hey thanks for the info! I have a split beam i'd like calibrated, is it expensive?
I can't find my last Probabta invoice but here's a co-worker's from TTL.

I'll keep looking.

Screenshot_20221113_162145_Drive.jpg

I spent 16 years in the Air Force as a calibration technician. Another 10 years as a civilian calibration technician. At least 25% of the new torque wrenches I calibrated were out of tolerance....
25%. Wow. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that both of my new Precision Instruments split beam torque wrenches were out of tolerance.

Back