HF Quinn 3/8" digital torque wrench good-to-go? or alternative?

I have a Kobalt 3/8" TW. Its nice, but VERY hard for me to read the setting... the lines don't really seem to line up and hard to tell if it is set at 25 ft lbs or 35 ft lbs. Frustrating and adds a layer of doubt, 2nd guessing and stress I don't need [any more of] in my life.

I recon a consumer grade digital TW is the way to go. (Unless there is a more clearly marked analog 3/8" TW?)

Assuming there will be a 10-20% sale soon I could swallow ~$150 for this HF quinn model. Are these legit? Should there be something else comparable I should be looking at?

QUINN3/8 in. Drive 5-100 ft. lb. Digital Angle Torque Wrench (393)

64915_W3.jpg

I have the 1/2 QUINN digital torque wrench. I have not compared it to anything else to verify its accuracy, but so far I like it a whole lot. Then again, most of my torque needs, including sloppily built LSx engines in different applications don't need to be the most precise.

Would I use it on the space shuttle, probably not. But for wheels and other items, its been good.

I’d buy a Norbar pro that is super easy to read and set, or a precision instruments split beam. It has a little knob and can’t be easier to set and read.

Both were less expensive than that HF tool. And will never need a battery or electronic doodad that’s obsolete. Unless there’s long term support or obsolescence management, the HF item is a $165 throwaway.

I see no reason for using a digital one. If I actually was doing something that needed angle I’d probably want something better quality and more traceable anyway.

I have the Kobalt 3/8 digital TW I got from HD about year ago. I recall spending a little more, but the Quinn looks exactly the same. Probably made by the same plant. Likely solid, but calibration or verification for any brand is the only way to be 100% sure for tools like this.

20230527_105250.jpg

Back