Advice towards purchasing used Porsche

Maybe in the 90s, when Nissan cared.
I agree with this. When Nissan was still "Made in Japan". Before the merger, right? Imo Nissan ended in 1996.:cry:

I do like Audi/Porsche/VW. A friend of mine has an insanely fast Audi S6. I've been seeing beautiful brand new bright red Jettas and Passats lately. I like the full side sedan look of the current Passat.

I can’t believe no one has suggested a Toyota Camry (4 cylinder of course) or Crown Victoria yet 🤷🏻‍♂️
Crown.jpg

These threads all seem to follow the same path which includes responses from owners, folks with other experience and the responses and critiques from those with little or no direct experience. The latter can be of some value, but with the appropriate perspective.

Then come the recommendations for something in a completely different category:)

So, actually having owned and still owning them (964, 996 and 986 S) and comparable cars for 20+ years, here are some thoughts based on my and several friends' ownership experience, which is up through the current models;

Positives
1) They are very reliable and relatively painless to own. Yes all cars have their weak spots (ignition switches, alarms, the IMS...), but on the whole our Porsches are some of the least painful cars to own, especially in light of their performance.
2) Porsche uses very high quality components, for the most part. Looking at the undersides of ours, the fasteners etc. have very little corrosion, hoses are almost perfect, etc. The interiors wear well, great quality leather, etc. The upside of this is when something does need repair/replacement and you use factory or OEM parts, it stays fixed...
3) They are very good for DIY maintenance, e.g. quality fasteners and the like make for easy removal and replacement of parts. Parts support is excellent. Oil changes, spark plugs and brake service for example, are straightforward with great access.
4) Great drivers...drive one.

Negatives
1) Things do fail and they do have some weak spots; do your research and because some issues can be $$$, get a PPI from someone qualified. PCA can help.
2) Parts prices are dear and some are very expensive, think Cessna expensive. Good news, is they don't break that often.
3) Access beyond basic maintenance is challenging, these are rear or mid engine cars. Aside from below, the Boxster engine is accessed through hatches. Price to pay for their capabilities.
4) They do best with OE or OEM parts in most cases. Brake rotors for an example, I have heard of several issues in our circle with vibrations from non OE/OEM rotors. There are other anecdotal examples. I have no idea why or how???
5) They can be expensive to maintain if anything major happens...I'd propose that one reason for their unfounded 'needy' reputation is from folks who buy a run out cheap one, expect parts and maintenance to be commensurate with their purchase price (not the ~$80K car it was), maintain it accordingly and complain about how bad Porsches are...

All years have their issues. Other less quantifiable factors also come to play; do you prefer the more analog experience of the earlier cars? The tech of the later ones? Earlier more traditional interiors? Flat screens or knobs? Hard to recommend what to look at or avoid. Me? I prefer traditional which is why I am looking seriously at a 930...

Do your home work and buy the best one you can.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I believe the flat-four in the GR86 is even-firing (if you can't stand Subies that sound like they're running on 3 - like me)... and I believe they are largely absent vibrations, resonances.
Def a sports car to consider or the Subaru - which the Toyota actually is. But there is no drop-top which adds immeasurably to the Spring though Fall fun.
The engines are even firing. It's the way the unequal length exhaust manifold tubes had been paired that make a lumpy terrible sound. Kids like it because they don't know better. The old unequal does avoid the torque dip in the upper midrange though.

Def a sports car to consider or the Subaru - which the Toyota actually is. But there is no drop-top which adds immeasurably to the Spring though Fall fun.
The engines are even firing. It's the way the unequal length exhaust manifold tubes had been paired that make a lumpy terrible sound. Kids like it because they don't know better. The old unequal does avoid the torque dip in the upper midrange though.
Thx for clarifying. Yeah, what was I thinking! The exhausts were not identical length {or shall we say identical effective lengths (by way of effective respective restrictions)}. I didn't realize that the lumpy sounding ones lessened or eliminated the torque-dip. That torque dip in my view is/was unconscionable; I believe the new 2.4 litre engine design has addressed this. I would hope that the larger displacement 2.4 isn't noticeably rougher...

I'm still trying to find an old 90s Porsche 928. Be like a German Camaro except for It could actually take a turn.
Good luck!

They're either clapped out and too expensive or really nice and really too expensive.

Those here that complain about "difficult to work on" modern cars would faint at a 928.

I would spend some time on Rennlist.com alot of knowledgible folks there. Stay away from those with ims issues ,in the 911 it was 2009 on I believe not sure on the boxster/cayman. I think the S models are prone to bore scoring so a base model is better. They are great cars and are pretty reliable. Get a PPI also worth the money. When buying a used car I always shop the seller first 7 different owners I pass, a porsche in a scketchy neighborhood I pass etc. I have a 2014 911 and 2021 Cayman S and to compare either to a Mustang is a joke. Had corvettes my whole life and the level of refinement and fit and finish is NO comparison. Life is to short if you can afford one I would get it. It seems if its not a Honda or Toyota on this board the car is garbage

Recently thought of buying a used Porsche with manual transmission. Came across a one owner 2011 Boxster S with low miles. Asking 38k but sold pretty quick. Been looking for the unicorn. Low miles, single owner with maintenance file.

Any input on model years to avoid, etc.m
Probably just as important is to find a good Porsche shop to take the car to for repairs.

I'll note Porsche has long lost their glamour days and few people care about them.

I honestly cannot believe someone said this with a straight face. This is one of the most oblivious takes I have ever seen.

All anyone needs to do is try and purchase an air cooled 911 or a new GT car to understand that the Porsche market is absolutely bonkers.

I honestly cannot believe someone said this with a straight face. This is one of the most oblivious takes I have ever seen.

All anyone needs to do is try and purchase an air cooled 911 or a new GT car to understand that the Porsche market is absolutely bonkers.
I had people compliment my clapped-out 996 almost every time I drove it.

Back