Advice towards purchasing used Porsche

Recently thought of buying a used Porsche with manual transmission. Came across a one owner 2011 Boxster S with low miles. Asking 38k but sold pretty quick. Been looking for the unicorn. Low miles, single owner with maintenance file.

Any input on model years to avoid, etc.m

I bought my 2015 Cayman brand new.
Custom ordered it in Feb 2015, watched it go through the build stages in April, and then kept track of the ship it was on as it crossed the Atlantic, and docked in the Houston port in late May. Received delivery in June, and have loved it for the past 7 years, and 60k miles.

6 speed manual
PASM
PTV
14 way seats and two tone leather package
Bi-Xenon w PDLS headlight package
20" Carrera S wheels w colored crest
Sport Steering Wheel and aluminum pedals
And, of course, the rear wiper option.

It's been a fantastic car, and only needed the dealer to repair it twice.
First time was for a bolt in the dash that wasn't tightened properly during build, and it would rattle under very specific circumstances.
Second time was when the windshield washer fluid supply line next to the left hood hinge broke.
Both fixed under warranty without any loss of enjoyment, same day.

A 968 is, if memory serves, a 3.0 litre (4 cyl) variant if the 944. The car has a timing belt with teeth on both sides. There is a special tool used for setting belt tension. Critical adjustment.

I've heard that the 944 and 968 actually are more labour intensive for mtce. than is a regular air-cooled 911
Naw, they have a timing belt with teeth on one side and a balance shaft belt with teeth on both sides. I'm not aware of any vehicle in which timing adjustment is not critical.

My dad's 968 made it to 200k miles without any major problems at which time it was sold. I actually don't remember the car needing any major repairs but it's been over ten years. I do remember a dead ignition switch.

Turns out the 2010 Boxster S is still for sale. 2 owners, 24k miles. Ask $38k. No repairs have been completed by 2nd owner (since 2011) other than new tires a year ago.

Seems bore scoring is the leading topic of impact to this model year. Not high rates but enough to give though and pause to.

Ask to take the car in for a PPI, and specifically ask the mechanic (if you can't do it yourself) to pull the plugs, rotate the motor, and check the bores.
Reasonably easy to pull the plugs on the Boxster/Cayman cars once its up on a lift.

Reactions: JXW
...and we have yet to discuss one of the better points of Boxster/911 ownership; the fun. Once, at a gathering where I didn't know too many folks, I opened the frunk of the 911 to bring something in and when I came out, I had left it open, there were a few guys staring in and wondering where the engine was. Now in their defense I had a car cover balled up in there and I had removed some of the carpeted lining for cleaning (grocery leak), so it was an open metal space. I acted surprised for a bit '..think it was just stolen from here?', then explained the rear engine bit.

Juvenile of me....I know...

My 968 is fun, and fairly easy to work on. Timing belt is not that hard. Parts are hard to find especially body trim and rear glass.

I like driving my 981 better, it's more refined and sounds better 😁.

Get a ppi and if 6 speed make sure you get an over rev count.

Then drive it and have fun. My p cars all bring me smiles and have been mostly trouble free.

My 968 is fun, and fairly easy to work on. Timing belt is not that hard. Parts are hard to find especially body trim and rear glass.

I like driving my 981 better, it's more refined and sounds better 😁.

Get a ppi and if 6 speed make sure you get an over rev count.

Then drive it and have fun. My p cars all bring me smiles and have been mostly trouble free.
If a 6MT, I would suggest you drive it from cold. Now I realize it's not cold these days, but driving a car from deep cold up to operating temp can expose certain noises, and with the 6MT, poor synchro action. If the PO was a "downshift artist", then one would hope he/she'd have practised their "art" with a healthy measure of double-declutching. 2nd gear synchro's often get knackered before the rest...

Reactions: JXW
My son has a 2018 Mustang GT with a six speed with a slightly modified engine and a few other handling bits and it's really quick.
A lot cheaper to maintain then a Porsche.
Porsche is kind of like the Buick of sports cars that old guys drive.
Because they are the only ones with money now. Buick is the preferred “old man” car by choice. They grew up when a Buick was a prestige make, not a dolled up Chevy now, and still think it is

There’s a few Porsche mechanics here that can offer repair advice.

Mustangs are nice, but lack the engineering of a Porsche…… basically a point A to B type of car.
You would be surprised how many VW parts are in a Porsche. Instead of paying $90 for an ignition switch, I paid $12 for a VW with the same part #. Could buy one for less than that. Just my experience with one…

I was salivating over a bunch of 911 (996) for sale cheap ( mid 30's) a couple year ago. This is when I leaned these had poorly designed wasserboxer engine with intermediate shaft bearings that were splash lubed and almost guaranteed an engine failure.

There is a kludgy fix but its not cheap - the trans has to come out. If a fresh clutch disc is due it could work out if you are paying around 30K for a low mileage example.

Then I recalled Porsche drive like a squashed Beetle of yore with good brakes - then I said to meself - forget it!
IMO, that IMS issue is way overblown by internet hysteria and parts purveyors building on that. And its not a lubrication issue since that bearing is partially submerged in oil in the sump. Two stroke engine ball bearings are lubricated by just an oil mist and they spin happily at super high rpm’. Doesn’t take a lot.

IMO, that IMS issue is way overblown by internet hysteria and parts purveyors building on that. And its not a lubrication issue since that bearing is partially submerged in oil in the sump. Two stroke engine ball bearings are lubricated by just an oil mist and they spin happily at super high rpm’. Doesn’t take a lot.
The original bearings were sealed and 'lubed for life', and there were several different designs. Most of the upgrade replacement IMS bearings are now splash lubed and are very long lived so far, although some of the manufacturers recommend regular replacement albeit at relatively long intervals. Agree that it is way overblown. That said, we replaced the IMS's on ours (w/ the splash lubed, ceramic roller LN) and I now have two perfectly good OEM bearings on my garage shelf.

I don't think even the AOS requires engine removal on the Cayman/Boxster.

It doesn't "technically" require it on the 996/997 either but it is way easier.
I did the AOS in mine. Easy to do. $90 for OE part from on line dealer. Super complicated for just a pct valve basically, but the German way. Needless complication. Engine removal? What!?

I did the AOS in mine. Easy to do. $90 for OE part from on line dealer. Super complicated for just a pct valve basically, but the German way. Needless complication. Engine removal? What!?
You did your AOS in which car?

Because it was an absolute bear of a job on my 996.

Back