Advice towards purchasing used Porsche

JXW

Recently thought of buying a used Porsche with manual transmission. Came across a one owner 2011 Boxster S with low miles. Asking 38k but sold pretty quick. Been looking for the unicorn. Low miles, single owner with maintenance file.

Any input on model years to avoid, etc.m

I'll note Porsche has long lost their glamour days and few people care about them.
I have owned plenty of cheaper, but sporty cars over the years with low profile tires and have had to have wheels fixed and replaced a few wheels. A bent wheel would be especially fun on a Porsche to deal with and you live in Michigan. But if you avoid driving the car from Nov-May, you might survive that.

Never been a fan of the Mustang, but I'd rather find a new Mustang GT with a six speed for the same money. They supposedly do high 12's
in the 1/4 mile stock.

That's around the timeframe that the IMS bearing issues were finally being ironed out IIRC. My parents' neighbor in Grand Rapids buys a new 4s every year or two and drives it year-round...it can be done as a daily. Granted the 911 is a little more usable than the Boxster/Cayman with the back seat.

IMO buy one old enough to get the flat 6.

Recently thought of buying a used Porsche with manual transmission. Came across a one owner 2011 Boxster S with low miles. Asking 38k but sold pretty quick. Been looking for the unicorn. Low miles, single owner with maintenance file.

Any input on model years to avoid, etc.m
PM Doug Hillary

I'll note Porsche has long lost their glamour days and few people care about them.
I have owned plenty of cheaper, but sporty cars over the years with low profile tires and have had to have wheels fixed and replaced a few wheels. A bent wheel would be especially fun on a Porsche to deal with and you live in Michigan. But if you avoid driving the car from Nov-May, you might survive that.

Never been a fan of the Mustang, but I'd rather find a new Mustang GT with a six speed for the same money. They supposedly do high 12's
in the 1/4 mile stock.
My son has a 2018 Mustang GT with a six speed with a slightly modified engine and a few other handling bits and it's really quick.
A lot cheaper to maintain then a Porsche.
Porsche is kind of like the Buick of sports cars that old guys drive.

Find a good mechanic before you even begin to look at any Porsche. Ignore any advice that mentions Mustang.

There’s a few Porsche mechanics here that can offer repair advice.

Mustangs are nice, but lack the engineering of a Porsche…… basically a point A to B type of car.

Last edited:
I'd probably take it to a shop that works on them and tell them to thoroughly go through everything before you buy it. Whether it's a dealer or private sale knowing anything that's wrong will help you get a better price and know if something may become expensive later on.

Porsche model years to avoid are 1948–2023. That's not being facetious. It's another expensive German car with unnecessarily complex engineering that is inherently unreliable and will cost you big bucks to keep on the road. It's going to be like owning a boat. The moments of pleasure using it are outweighed by the constant costs.

Porsche model years to avoid are 1948–2023. That's not being facetious. It's another expensive German car with unnecessarily complex engineering that is inherently unreliable and will cost you big bucks to keep on the road. It's going to be like owning a boat. The moments of pleasure using it are outweighed by the constant costs.
Garbage take.

I was salivating over a bunch of 911 (996) for sale cheap ( mid 30's) a couple year ago. This is when I leaned these had poorly designed wasserboxer engine with intermediate shaft bearings that were splash lubed and almost guaranteed an engine failure.

There is a kludgy fix but its not cheap - the trans has to come out. If a fresh clutch disc is due it could work out if you are paying around 30K for a low mileage example.

Then I recalled Porsche drive like a squashed Beetle of yore with good brakes - then I said to meself - forget it!

I was salivating over a bunch of 911 (996) for sale cheap ( mid 30's) a couple year ago. This is when I leaned these had poorly designed wasserboxer engine with intermediate shaft bearings that were splash lubed and almost guaranteed an engine failure.

There is a kludgy fix but its not cheap - the trans has to come out. If a fresh clutch disc is due it could work out if you are paying around 30K for a low mileage example.

Then I recalled Porsche drive like a squashed Beetle of yore with good brakes - then I said to meself - forget it!
The bearing was sealed and never intended to be splash lubricated.

If you remove the seal so they are splash lubricated, they last almost indefinitely.

There is a kludgey fix and others that are better than OEM, with the best being an oil pressure-fed plain bearing.

All high performance sports cars are like airplanes, they all have compromises.

If you are willing to live with those and prepare with the economics of ownership of the same, then go for it. Like others have already said; use a little common sense. Seek out a local expert for the marque and ask them what to look for and beware of. It is your money and your decision, arm yourself with the knowledge and skill (if you desire) to drive what you want.

I have seen so many people buy a car, (any car mind you) and not think through the economics, use case etc., only to complain about it later on. All I would ask is don't be that type of individual. The good news is you sound like you already know what models you would consider. Now go find the expert (preferably not at a dealer) to help you in your quest.

Here are two groups you might consider engaging.

Lastly, here is a good techno article regarding the LMS bearing.

https://www.autoscopecarcare.com/ca...-info-you-need-about-the-porsche-ims-bearing/

I hope my reply is helpful for you, and whatever decision you make, keep chasing your dreams to do so.

Last edited:
Garbage take.
+1

Some people enjoy driving, and don't mind exchanging some reliability for a more fun driving experience. Not everyone wants a boring appliance on wheels, and the trade off depends on the individual.

As far as buying a Porsche, I would do your research on some Porsche specific forums, and find a good independent mechanic who offers pre-purchase inspections.

Roofless, He specifically asked what model years to avoid. "Any input on model years to avoid, etc."

He only used the 2011 Boxster as an example of one model he found. Your point on the bore scoring and DCT is well taken, that is why he should get with an enthusiast group before he opens his checkbook.

I read through this thread hoping that a few here would answer JXW's questions. I also have considered trading my E350 for a Panamera, or perhaps a Cayenne, so I wanted to hear some real experience. From those who have actually owned/driven Porsche.

Not those who have a cousin who has a neighbor that works on Mustangs, and once saw a 911 race a Mustang.

I have a daily driven 2006 Cayman S. I have gone through 2 water pumps, 1 air oil seperator and one water temperature sensor in that time.

Reactions: JXW
Back