Advance Auto inhouse oil made by Havoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for good deals at my local Advance Auto,I was checking out the oil as allways.The salesguy told me,there house oil is made by Havoline and the same stuff,but for 1 buck less.Hummm

Yes, because everything in a black bottle is made by havoline
crackmeup.gif

If you or the salesguy would actually read the bottle you would see it says

"Compare to Havoline (R)*"

and

*This product is NOT manufactured or distributed by Chevron Inc., owner of the registered trademark Havoline (R).
Then look at the bottom of the bottle. It is made by Warren-Unilube, the makers of Coastal.

You know, this is so widespread among Advance employees. I wonder if it's one of those urban legends they pass around or if they are actually told to tell people that.

either way its good enough.....

No wait!!!

must have royal purple or amsoil, right?

Particularly amsoil, yes, tell it to me reeaal slow, so I cant grasp just how necessary this product is.

i say advance auto house oil is likely sufficient, provided it has the api starburst sm deal.

second, the royal purple / amsoil remark was a lampooning in anticipation of the brand obsessed and primo synthetic fixated legions who like to chime in , and shout down the fact that generic products are adequate for normal application at reasonable oci's

The guy in the Pottstown, PA AAP said the same exact thing to me... I told him to read the bottle to which he said "oh, well that is what they told me"

IDIOT!

Quote:

Quote:

Particularly amsoil, yes, tell it to me reeaal slow, so I cant grasp just how necessary this product is.

Huh? Who said anything about Amsoil?

He was bashing on Amsoil in another thread. I think he has an agenda.

Quote:

The guy in the Pottstown, PA AAP said the same exact thing to me... I told him to read the bottle to which he said "oh, well that is what they told me"

IDIOT!

I doubt they told him to say anything. As a part-time manager at one of the major auto parts retailers, we were never told what to say about any particular product or its origin. They probably just read the shiny bottle and said it's made by Havoline because 9 out of 10 people wouldn't think twice about that comment.

Quote:

Is it safe to say the Advance Auto Parts oil is similar to Walmart's SuperTech oil ??
dunno.gif

Different Warren. Warren Performance Products makes Supertech (in many places) and Warren-Unilube makes AAP oil and Coastal

I meant similar in performance.

When Advance Auto Parts opens a new store, they usually have a grand opening sale and sell this oil for 79 cents.

Ah. Everyone panicked a few years back b/c the API or the SAE or somebody got onto Coastal b/c they bottled 10W30 and sold it as 5W30 or something to that effect. Otherwise, it's SM ILSAC GF-4, so it can't be THAT bad......

I'll have to keep in mind those grand opening sales. Cheapest I've seen it in the last couple years was $5 a gallon. I grabbed two....

I had four Advance employees gathered one time arguing that Havoline made thier in house oil, they called out the manager and he compared the bottle to a Havoline Bottle and said yeah they are the same Havoline makes this. I showed him that little "This product not made by" and he said Oh, that is for Liability, now that makes me want to use that oil now. Guess will know if the Advance oil starts coming ouy in those new sexy Deposit Shield bottles.

My days back in retail remind me of the goofballs who got to know who makes the cheapo oil. We used to say penzoil even though the brand (mototech) came in a black bottle. Customers don't want to hear a company called warren, they want to think they are getting the good stuff for cheap. Employees are happy to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back