Best option for oil and filter 2022 Kia Seltos EX (heavy usage)? Inline 4 base AWD model no turbo. 0W-20 oil

Willing to pay more if there's a good reason to use a particular filter and/or oil, even if the potential benefit is marginal (as long as it's safe and will help me in my efforts to keep the engine running as long as possible).

Anyone know of the best filter and oil to use with this model?

Current mileage is 45k. Will likely hit 60k in 6 months time. Always in eco mode, auto stop/start always on. Usually on highways but do go through traffic routinely.

Thanks in advance.

Any off the shelf brand top tier. For ultra premium - HPL and Amsoil.

Amsoil SS 5w30 and OEM filter

Valvoline and Kia oil filter

OEM filter. 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil Mobil 1

Thanks for the input all!!

1. Filter
Seems most recommend the OEM filter. I originally leaned toward this myself. Now I'm having second thoughts. Is there an even better way to go that would be better at protecting and maintaining my engine and oil system?

Now I'm wondering if the Royal Purple oil filter is any better than OEM? Is the QC on their filters good? Any chance of harming my engine etc using this filter?

I'm willing to spend money on this.

However, I'm not willing to do anything that may void my 100, 000 mi power train warranty.

*Kia corporate has stated I am not required to use OEM to maintain warranty when I was replacing my AC condenser unit.* Not sure if this is indicative of their stance on the oil filter or not. Should I call and verify?

2. Oil
Manual specifies 4.23 qt of full synthetic 0W-20 API sn plus/sp or ilsac gf-6.

Why is everyone suggesting something other than the spec'd oil? I don't live in a really hot climate. NW United States. Wyoming now, likely moving to Western Washington state in fall.

I'm considering Royal Purple for their 0W-20 as well as their filter.

Is this the best I can buy for this particular car?
Or is it possible this high quality oil could damage anything or put me at more risk for some kind of failure? How is their QC on oil?

thanks all!

From my noob experience and learning from this website, the quality of oil filters can change without you knowing...usually for the worse. Hyundai's OEM filters have always been solid and likely have more control (pure conjecture) with the filter manufacturer over quality in order to serve their engines best. The other reason I justify OEM filters is they're likely spec'd to best serve that engine, so perhaps too much efficiency (sometimes lower flow) filters could be a bad thing.

When it comes to oil, you're fine with any "certified" off-the-shelf oil as long as you change it per the manufacturer recommendations; follow the Severe schedule unless you truly put on a lot of highway miles. OCI seems to be much more important than oil choice. I chose Amsoil SS because of a personal experience I had with my Hyundai TGDI Santa Fes where they just run quieter and smoother compared to what they had before (M1). Other users love M1 and it's a fine oil. Amsoil SS isn't API licensed but I confirmed with Hyundai USA and my local dealer that it's fine to use...there's a whole other thread on this topic.

There's also HPL which users here have touted as the best out there from a quality perspective. It's very expensive and not API licensed. I'd try it if Amsoil SS didn't make such a positive impact on my cars personally and resolve my issues, so I'm sticking with what works for me. Plus, I'm not sure Hyundai USA or my local dealer have ever heard of HPL, so perhaps that's something to consider from a warranty perspective even though the chance of it ever being an issue is likely miniscule.

Last edited:
The quest for “the best” is a very common topic here among new members. If you do a search for “the best” you will find hundreds of threads.

They all lead to the same answer. There is no best.
Thanks for the advice. I do understand this. There are many solutions and many answers to a given general problem or question. However there IS a best choice for my needs and goals. I'm seeking help in identifying what that choice is. Otherwise, why post? I'm not an idiot with cars or mechanical things. Give me the benefit of the doubt here.

Let me clarify before too many more chime in and say there isn't a best, why do you need the best for a Kia etc etc.

Here in this thread, I'm not asking for any other information than what is the "best" choice for me/this car in terms of:
1. safest for overall engine health and wear for this engine and high usage
2. Highest known/proven reputation/quality assurance for the 0W-20 synthetic it calls for.
3. highest likelihood products for supporting/creating conditions for long lasting engine/related components
and
4. Most appropriate choice given my exact model/engine and driving habits.

Other users love M1 and it's a fine oil. Amsoil SS isn't API licensed but I confirmed with Hyundai USA and my local dealer that it's fine to use...there's a whole other thread on this topic.
Would you mind linking me to this topic?

Would you mind linking me to this topic?

Here in this thread, I'm not asking for any other information than what is the "best" choice for me/this car in terms of:
2. Highest known/proven reputation/quality assurance for the 0W-20 synthetic it calls for.
3. highest likelihood products for supporting/creating conditions for long lasting engine/related components
and

1. Higher/Mid-saps, High HTHS xW30 or BITOG favorite Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 :D
2. AMSOIL / HPL / Ravenol xW20
3. The one you can afford to have short OCI with
4. Atkinson NA port injected(MPI) 2.0 with low poweroutput, any API-SN/SP will do.

You are trying to find a unicorn in the dark.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I do understand this. There are many solutions and many answers to a given general problem or question. However there IS a best choice for my needs and goals. I'm seeking help in identifying what that choice is. Otherwise, why post? I'm not an idiot with cars or mechanical things. Give me the benefit of the doubt here.

Let me clarify before too many more chime in and say there isn't a best, why do you need the best for a Kia etc etc.

and

Good luck with your quest. It will be never ending

Thanks for the input all!!

1. Filter
Seems most recommend the OEM filter. I originally leaned toward this myself. Now I'm having second thoughts. Is there an even better way to go that would be better at protecting and maintaining my engine and oil system?

Now I'm wondering if the Royal Purple oil filter is any better than OEM? Is the QC on their filters good? Any chance of harming my engine etc using this filter?

I'm willing to spend money on this.

However, I'm not willing to do anything that may void my 100, 000 mi power train warranty.

*Kia corporate has stated I am not required to use OEM to maintain warranty when I was replacing my AC condenser unit.* Not sure if this is indicative of their stance on the oil filter or not. Should I call and verify?

2. Oil
Manual specifies 4.23 qt of full synthetic 0W-20 API sn plus/sp or ilsac gf-6.

Why is everyone suggesting something other than the spec'd oil? I don't live in a really hot climate. NW United States. Wyoming now, likely moving to Western Washington state in fall.

I'm considering Royal Purple for their 0W-20 as well as their filter.

Is this the best I can buy for this particular car?
Or is it possible this high quality oil could damage anything or put me at more risk for some kind of failure? How is their QC on oil?

thanks all!
When I mentioned Valvoline I assumed that you could figure I meant Valvoline Extended Protection 0w20. Call me a lemming but on a car with warranty I will always use the manufacturer’s oil filter. There’s no way that the dealer can throw a flag about another brand of filter should there be an issue with the engine.

When I mentioned Valvoline I assumed that you could figure I meant Valvoline Extended Protection 0w20. Call me a lemming but on a car with warranty I will always use the manufacturer’s oil filter. There’s no way that the dealer can throw a flag about another brand of filter should there be an issue with the engine.
Makes sense to me. I'll just stick with that unless I find something that's more compelling.

1. Higher/Mid-saps, High HTHS xW30 or BITOG favorite Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 :D
2. AMSOIL / HPL / Ravenol xW20
3. The one you can afford to have short OCI with
4. Atkinson NA port injected(MPI) 2.0 with low poweroutput, any API-SN/SP will do.
1. Cool, why differing from spec'd weight for these?
2. Which would be your top pic here and why?
3. I can afford up to $79 a change on 4.23 QT of oil and filter.
4. What would you top choice of these be?

Thanks! Appreciate the input. This is helpful.

Good luck with your quest. It will be never ending
1693855297025.jpg

1000006495.jpg

So this is your factory service recommendations
Personally, with my experience watching several H/K engines unalive themselves (Theta II & Nu), a little thicker and a little more frequent OCI can't hurt

Any good full synthetic 5w30 and the OE filter changed every 5k should keep this engine running for longer

OE intervals for "normal usage" is 12m/7,500 miles
OE intervals for "severe usage" is 6m/3,750 miles

I would think 6 months/5k miles is a happy medium, as to not waste good synthetic oil

Interesting footnote in the manual
After 10 years or 100,000 miles, we recommend to use severe maintenance schedule

Back