Adding Baking Soda to Coffee

I was lucky to live in Lafitte, sorta lands end, a yr visitin family. When we could when up to the city and man, it's gota lot to offer.
Simply amazing for this MidLantic/Nor'easter born/breed (?bread?). The humanity, natural history, culture, climate, etc, etc~

Spent a lot of fun times (weekends) in those bayous and bays all around Lafitte fishing and chasing deer. Already been in a side canal there with one of my young sons fishing and he tells me "hey pop, they got some animal following us in the water?" I grabbed my 30.06 Ruger thinking I was about to pop a big old gator and looked a couple times to my surprise it was big old Buck / white tail deer... at least a 10 point. My son could not believe I would not shoot it. Told him , sorry it is illegal and we need the boat , trailer and Bronco so lets not get busted and lose all of it killing a poor deer just swimming to find a new home or food. We could kill deer any other times so we commenced to fishing which is what we were there for. We caught lots of fresh and saltwater fish in those waters. Great place to get out to enjoy the outoors. We caught bass / catfish / crappie / big bull red fish / speckled trout and many of them in same trips.

There are several low acid coffees. I have tried a few in the past and there not terrible. I would go that route before trying to add something, or just switch to tea, which I like also.

I am also a black only coffee drinker - coffee is my socially acceptable drug of choice and I drink way too much. I prefer the good stuff but I will drink the crappiest high acid hotel stuff if its all that is around. I guess that makes me a junky.

I generally don't like bitter things, more of a sweet tooth actually. Coffee is the exception for whatever reason.

With Gerd, Acid Reflux and all that jazz I have to plan ahead. I liked coffee ☕ but it increases my BP and I suffer from Coschondritis which doesn't help.
I understand too. As I get older there are some things that used to be slight annoyances that no longer can be ignored. Some of us must be extra careful. Then I have some buddies who I knew before school and then we were all together from grade one to college years who seem to be super human or super lucky and are late 60s with pretty much zero medical issues to this day. They still joke and tell me I messed up my owned sytem years ago when I quit drinking. LOL. Some days I want to believe them since we still have quite a near fully stocked liquor cabinet. Some really good quality bottles reside in there. I have had them very much under my control for too many years to count.

Last edited:
a reg shop visitor, friend now I'd say - has the coffee where they add 'shots'. He has 2 or 3 12 oz in the am each w/a double or trip added ~ 4 hrs duration. noon or 2 a 12 oz w/double or trip shot. That could be 600 mg of caffeine in the morning, over a short time.

My MIL was in hosp for something or the other (elective w/over nite stay). She turned worse (decline) while in recovery, when ready to go home. The doc was very concerned lookin at the chart and in rm monitors. He said so to my ex. "Not sure abt ur mom." he said to her. He went dwn some Qs w/her until I heard him say "A HA!" He went to nursing station & wrote upa script to B filled immediately. She was all ways to have a pot of coffee at bed side while in hosp (went thru a pota perked [10 cups?] each day). She came back, all vital signs good, to B discharged only abt 10 hrs later than orig plan. I guess she ran on coffee???

Funny... Most comments here on the acid not the metabolism changes w/coffee (caffeine).

Reactions: wlk
I understand too. As I get older there are some things that used to be slight annoyances that no longer can be ignored. Some of us must be extra careful. Then I have some buddies who I knew before school and then we were all together from grade one to college years who seem to be super human or super lucky and are late 60s with pretty much zero medical issues to this day. They still joke and tell me I messed up my owned sytem years ago when I quit drinking. LOL. Some days I want to believe them since we still have quite a near fully stocked liquor cabinet. Some really good quality bottles reside in there. I have had them very much under my control for too many years to count.
Cut my consumption to Saturday only. Pack lasts me over a month and I go through two twelve packs of Pilsner Urquell. Get a nice reprieve and sometimes when Saturday comes around I miss it all together. Got lots of Cognac unopened but I give them to my service guy at dealership every year.

we got white guys from all over usa, sikh. Many 1st gen.
HE was Indian !
Its a religion that crossed 2 ppls at war for thousands yr (put together the islam and hindu). Fascinating story (4 me)~
I do not intend for this to go from putting eggshells into coffee to having to walk on them. I'm out.

Last edited:
I need to try that baking soda trick one day cause I cant drink too much coffee due to acid reflux at times. But I do like it. So once in a while (like today) wife will surprise me with a trip to this really old coffee / donut stand. They make a mix of half cream with half milk and steam it slow in this large old time coffee / cream / steamer machine from the late 1880s. When the customer is ready they place these heavy duty ceramic mugs under neath the mixing spout and good old steamin hot coffee / milk in just the right mix comes out. Try as we might at home ... even with their own brand coffee and chickory and our own steamin milk/cream we can not even come close to the same awesome cup of creole / cajun java!,,, That stuff they make is awesome with cornbread.
So it is definitely a real treat when we go out for it. They even serve these amazing french hand made fried dough squares with powdered sugar.
The place was jammin full of families today about 0930am.

The Original Cafe Du Monde Coffee Stand was established in 1862 in the New Orleans French Market. The Cafe is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It closes only on Christmas Day and on the day an occasional Hurricane passes too close to New Orleans.

The Original Cafe Du Monde is a traditional coffee shop. Its menu consists of dark roasted Coffee and Chicory, Beignets, White and Chocolate Milk, and fresh squeezed Orange Juice. The coffee is served Black or Au Lait. Au Lait means that it is mixed half and half with hot milk. Beignets are square French -style doughnuts, lavishly covered with powdered sugar. In 1988 Iced Coffee was introduced to the cafe. Soft drinks also made their debut that year. I am 1/2 Cajun French and 1/2 Sicillan so I like it all....!!!!!

I think @vavavroom once posted enjoying a baked good from this place, it sounds familiar.

I drink about 5 or 6 cups a day, more when I am working probably a pot, 12 hr shifts. Only add a little cream or milk and in fall eggnog every now and then but I can drink it black w a splash of water. Used to drink my coffee w cream and sugar and would get upset stomachs. Talked to my dad about it and he told me he got sick when he was in boot camp from the same. He told me his old Drill Sergeant told him to cut the sugar out and he began drinking the coffee black and never got sick again. I cut the sugar out but kept the cream or milk and it helped.
Haven't heard of the baking soda in it but it would bring the acid down a bit. I actually just drank a glass of water with baking soda in it for some reflux 🤣, it does work.
As far as the vinegar for reflux my grandmother swore by it. She was half Indian and did a lot of nontraditional remedies, died at 92 taking no meds and healthy. Did it years ago and it worked, will have to bring it back up as the reflux just started again recently but probably increase in carbs. Need to go back on Keto, had to take a break with recent surgery.

Have you just tried a high quality Brazilian medium roast?
No. This is the one I love, blue bag.
Just found out I can buy it but not have a subscription and ship date is four weeks out.
Replacement is brown bag.

image.jpg

No. This is the one I love, blue bag.
Just found out I can buy it but not have a subscription and ship date is four weeks out.
Replacement is brown bag.

View attachment 129527
Hahhahahahahah dman - that's NOT me!!

I think "low acid" could mean a lot of things.........it's a subjective label

Next go around check out Talking crow

Or even: https://talkingcrowcoffeeroasters.com/collections/coffee/products/regular-ethiopia-guji

I would think
Hahhahahahahah dman - that's NOT me!!

I think "low acid" could mean a lot of things.........it's a subjective label

Next go around check out Talking crow

Or even: https://talkingcrowcoffeeroasters.com/collections/coffee/products/regular-ethiopia-guji
this would be medium acid due to the elevation.

Growing Altitude: 1900-2000 meters above sea level

I would think

this would be medium acid due to the elevation.

Growing Altitude: 1900-2000 meters above sea level
I think as I stated some medium acid coffees are actually lower "acid" than some low acid coffees

Also varietal, bean ripeness, curing, roasting, etc make a larger difference than altitude.

Back