Adding Baking Soda to Coffee

No. This is the one I love, blue bag.
Just found out I can buy it but not have a subscription and ship date is four weeks out.
Replacement is brown bag.
Oh, that's Arabica coffee. I know the Robustus beans have less acid. Also when roasted darker there's less.

so adding some acid to acid should make the acid in coffee less upsetting? I dont get it...

I did not say add acid to acid but I would agree that may sound counterintuitive. My doctor explained it to me and I'll do my best to explain myself: if your stomach lacks acidity it will cause the top of your stomach to open which may result in acid reflux. If the acid in your stomach stomach is strong enough it will cause the top of your stomach to close thus no acid reflux. Weakening the acid in your stomach through the usage of alkaline substances, antacids, etc is actually a very short-term solution to a problem none of those things will resolve but only worsen.

Ahhh...
the kicker - "body chemistry".
Makes me wonder - is vinegar "acid"? We use a tiny bit on battery tops for cleaning ~
To add onto what Quattro Pete noted, yes it is dilute acetic acid. For cleaning a battery top generally you want an alkaline cleaner to neutralize any battery acid that is likely present.

If you have issues with stomach acidity it is due to your stomach acid not being strong enough and any akaline substance such as baking soda will only make your stomach acid weaker.

Add one ounce of organic apple cider vinegar to a drink of your choosing to strengthen your stomach's acidity and that should contribute to any related issues to going away.
This sounds like a bunch of Internet lore rather than anything based on chemistry. And besides, an ounce of vinegar being added to the pH 1.5 or so stomach acid is like a drop in a small lake. I have a hard time believing this will change the overall acidity of stomach acid.

This sounds like a bunch of Internet lore rather than anything based on chemistry. And besides, an ounce of vinegar being added to the pH 1.5 or so stomach acid is like a drop in a small lake. I have a hard time believing this will change the overall acidity of stomach acid.

I'll tell you what, it is worked like a charm for me and I know countless other people that it has worked for. The antacid business is valued at 6.35 billion dollars per year and it is solving absolutely nothing except creating customers will continue to buy their products that only make things worse, a vicious cycle.

Here is a video that explains in part what I am referring to:

Ahhh...
the kicker - "body chemistry".
Makes me wonder - is vinegar "acid"? We use a tiny bit on battery tops for cleaning ~
Acids are always dry substances. Vinegar is not an acid but is an acidic solution of acetic acid in water. The acetic acid content in consumer-grade vinegar is 6% +/- a couple percent. Acetic acid is considered a weak acid. Remember AWAW-WAWA

Acid to WaterAll is Well
Water
to AcidWhat an Accident

It's certainly not acidic foods that cause stomach issues in people with a healthy stomach lining. It's made to resist stomach acid. In the case of coffee, it's likely that coffee causes an overproduction of stomach acid, and volume matters.

I'll tell you what, it is worked like a charm for me and I know countless other people that it has worked for. The antacid business is valued at 6.35 billion dollars per year and it is solving absolutely nothing except creating customers will continue to buy their products that only make things worse, a vicious cycle.

Here is a video that explains in part what I am referring to:

Yes, like I said.

I don't know how/why people consume that bitter nasty stuff in the first place. That you have to put something into it to make it drinkable tells you something right there.
How? In a 24oz mug
Why? Because I love it. The stronger, the better.

Yes, like I said.

???

To clarify what I said, perhaps I need to further explain, is that what I did was begin mixing one ounce of organic apple cider vinegar in with a drink of my choosing as recommended by my doctor and that is what I changed to make my problems go away. Chalk it up to internet lore I guess? I went from consuming the maximum recommended amount of antacids every day for 20 years and never having my issues go away to drinking one ounce of apple cider vinegar everyday because my doctor said so and my issues went away. Internet lore though...

Yes it is. But if it worked for you then that’s great. There are many reasons why things work in a biological system, not all of which are related to chemistry. The Internet is replete with claims for benefits from an ounce of dilute acetic acid, and seem to focus on being from cider. Again not connected to any physical science.

The popular with many DD coffee is de-acidified. A very close approximation of this would be Dallmayr Prodomo
I prefer a strong Starbucks Sumatra extracted in a French press.

Dallmayr Prodomo-500g.jpg

The popular with many DD coffee is de-acidified. A very close approximation of this would be Dallmayr Prodomo
I prefer a strong Sumatra

View attachment 129754
Yes a dark roast usually produces less stomach acid. It’s not really that the coffee is less acidic in and of itself as much as what triggers the release of acid. The pH of the brewed coffee is the same whether it be dark or light roast.

Last edited:
I just recalled Starbucks Cafe Verona was a fave in the day at our fledgling tech startup a decade or so ago.

I am a loose leaf black tea drinker now. Wife gets Indian Assam in bulk from a co-op. I just toss a heaping Tbsp into a strainer and set that on top of a medium sized mug and slowly pour boiling well water over it. pot a lid on it and a thick towel around it to retain heat. and let it steep for 15- 20 mins. Dunk the strainer eight times and withdraw it. I just add a bit of raw sugar to taste, maybe a 1.4 tsp.

Just finished a cuppa.

if you want foamy crema like in ads, you cant use old beans.
max week old roasted beans is the key.
acid taste can be related to old beans going stale.

is it possible it treats 'heart burn' which might B in the esophagus (stomach acid out of it's bag... ina place it duz not belong = problems)? And 'washes' it offa there~ ?

???

To clarify what I said, perhaps I need to further explain, is that what I did was begin mixing one ounce of organic apple cider vinegar in with a drink of my choosing as recommended by my doctor and that is what I changed to make my problems go away. Chalk it up to internet lore I guess? I went from consuming the maximum recommended amount of antacids every day for 20 years and never having my issues go away to drinking one ounce of apple cider vinegar everyday because my doctor said so and my issues went away. Internet lore though...
So thinking about that a little more and listening to the video again, do low-pH beverages such as most carbonated drinks so the same thing? What about acidic fruit juices? Or perhaps some of the energy drinks which have surprisingly low pH values? All of those can start to see pH values at similarly low levels, and the volumes are higher so they contain a larger amount of H+ ions. How do these and other acidic beverages work? What about eating more tomato sauces?

I think the fact that you’re including it is “organic apple cider” vinegar indicates more of your basis than the acidity since even the most pedestrian distilled vinegar from Walmart will have a similar acetic acid content.

Last edited:
So thinking about that a little more and listening to the video again, do low-pH beverages such as most carbonated drinks so the same thing? What about acidic fruit juices? Or perhaps some of the energy drinks which have surprisingly low pH values? All of those can start to see pH values at similarly low levels, and the volumes are higher so they contain a larger amount of H+ ions. How do these and other acidic beverages work? What about eating more tomato sauces?

I think the fact that you’re including it is “organic apple cider” vinegar indicates more of your basis than the acidity since even the most pedestrian distilled vinegar from Walmart will have a similar acetic acid content.

Acedic acid is what your stomach needs, here is a thorough explanation in video form:

Back