Accord Sport Upgraded to Smaller Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Xice3 are good for 200km/h in the snow too? Just do the test pilot stuff at 3am when I'm not on the road please...

Don't get your safety nazi panties in a twist, this was on a racetrack.
smile.gif

A lot of people run the MPSS as their rain tire.

Well that makes more sense. Did anyone else just aquaplane off the track?

Nope. It takes a surprisingly large amount of water to hydroplane. Unless there are actual puddles on the track, I am still running slicks, and if there is a river running across the track, just lift off the gas while going through it, then back on it after crossing it.

Last edited:
agreed, it does take standing water on the track/road to aquaplane. I also ran, in my youth, nearly bald tyres when it was rainy. These were Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. Just wet roads didn't hurt grip anymore than it did when they were new, probably even less. But I didn't attempt to drive 80 mph on a flooded motorway with them either..

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested.

Interestingly enough according to this article, only braking and skidpad suffer when you move to a smaller tire. I would venture to say that a better stickier tire could make up for those two attributes.

I have been in big wheeled cars/truck previously...its not for me. If you want the speedo to run correct a tire calculator will build in the correct ratio and the wheel gap will remain the same. Its only perception of a smaller chunkier tire that makes the gap seem bigger.

MC Sierra 16"
LeSabre 16"
Corolla 15"

To the hydroplane point: Utah is pretty dry. When we do have standing water it is a melting snow, winter scenario, enter xice2 set. Once in a great while we get serious rain. Maybe once a year we have non winter giant puddles. Those puddles have dumb people on chinese all seasons wore down to 3 32nds flying through them. I think we will be okay with a 245 wide. I do appreciate the concern and discussion.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Nope. It takes a surprisingly large amount of water to hydroplane. .......

I'm going to disagree with this.

One of the things I did when I was working was conducting an exercise on hydroplaning. The set up was a circular track with about 30 feet of water running across one section. The water was 1/8" deep - not enough to even get the sides of your shoes wet.

We had no trouble getting cars to break loose at 45 mph on 4/32nds tires.

My Mazda RX8 has Enkei GF-1 7.5 x18 wheels with 38 offset making aprrox 1 inch wider track.

Wheels weight about 19#, and I put the smallest size of PSS on them (215/40r18) which fit perfect, and have plenty of grip.

Weight is around 42#, and speedo-odometer runs 5% more so I correct to real with a Scangauge II.

Less is more, and cheaper , too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back