Which wheels do you like better?

I really hope there is no car payment on this car. How is it driven only a few hundred miles per year? What is the point of having so much money tied up in a depreciating possession? (not going to foolishly call it a depreciating asset as that's definitely an oxymoron) Sell the entire kit and put the money into a better option. But to answer the question, the BMW wheels are the only answer.
There's no car payment on this car. We don't have debt of any kind, not even on the house.

I special ordered the E46 from the factory in November of 2002 because I didn't want a sunroof. It's already fully depreciated. I have it insured with Hagerty and just upped it's value based on their suggestion. If anything, the E46 is appreciating, especially this one since it is in showroom condition. Literally.

The reason it's so seldom driven is that I have other cars I'm more willing to take out into "the wild". Just last week I took the E90 to Trader Joe's for a quick dash in and out. Sue had the Honda, which is the car I usually take to places like TJ's.

When Sue got home she noticed some idiot put a door ding in the E90's driver's door. I was in TJ's for no more than 5 minutes. Grrrr. I've already had a paintless dent removal guy fix it and he did a perfect job. $100. Worth every penny.

But had that been my E46 I would have gone ballistic. The only time the E46 sees the outdoors is when I'm inside it, driving it. It's literally never left alone outside.

These two pictures show just how perfect my 20 year old E46 is. Never once driven on a wet road or in the rain. But I still hand wash the undercarriage every 2 or 3 years. This was no dry ice job.

Scott

Front Center 1.jpeg
Rear Center 2.jpeg

Last edited:
First off, there is no wrong choice here, both options are correct. I absolutely love the BBS wheels on those cars. But I would probably keep the 225M wheels since I am sure those BBS wheels will bring in a decent amount of money from the right buyer.

I'll add that if those are indeed (as i understand it) the factory OEM wheels for a ZSP i would NOT sell them without the car.
My E46 came with the optional Style 72 wheels. I sold those long ago. As far as the Style 225Ms I might sell, many people confuse those for the Style 135 wheels that came on ZHP E46s. The Style 225Ms were an optional wheel for the E90/E92 cars.

Scott

First off, there is no wrong choice here, both options are correct. I absolutely love the BBS wheels on those cars. But I would probably keep the 225M wheels since I am sure those BBS wheels will bring in a decent amount of money from the right buyer.
Thanks, Ed. And they really are in BNIB condition - with a set of 1,000 mile old Cup 2 tires.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. And all you guys have not helped at all - smiling at you guys!

But right now my gut is telling me to keep the BBS/Cup 2 package....

Scott

Wow that's a heck of a choice you have to make. Both wheels look great on the car. I like the 225M more on your car/color but I like the simplicity of having a square setup and the Cup tires on the BBS more. For that, I'd favor keeping the CH just a tad bit more than the 225M. Now if the 225M were a square setup, I'd keep those - I like the look of those OEM wheels more on your car than the BBS.

EDIT: Had to reword my post. Some of it made no sense.

Last edited:
Some day this car is going to sell to another BMW aficionado /collector and since the correct as bought BMW wheels are gone IMO keep what you like best. Now leaning to the BBSs since they and the tires are a higher performance package correct for the car. Glad to help.

Some day this car is going to sell to another BMW aficionado /collector and since the correct as bought BMW wheels are gone IMO keep what you like best. Now leaning to the BBSs since they and the tires are a higher performance package correct for the car. Glad to help.
My oldest son jokes with me and says when I pass on he's going to hack it up and put a small block Chevy in it.

You mention it going to an aficionado or collector. It's been fully documented from day one. These are fully stuffed 4 inch thick binders, not the thinner ones. I even have the bottle of wine the dealer gave me when I took possession. My name is engraved on the bottle!

Scott

IMG_4638.jpeg

I really hope there is no car payment on this car. How is it driven only a few hundred miles per year? What is the point of having so much money tied up in a depreciating possession? (not going to foolishly call it a depreciating asset as that's definitely an oxymoron) Sell the entire kit and put the money into a better option. But to answer the question, the BMW wheels are the only answer.
Shut up Karen

Keep the 225M. 1) They make the car look faster ;). I realize that is very subjective. But that is my opinion. 2) As nice as you have kept this car, I can see why you say it is a little of a museum piece. It seems the BMW wheels add to that. 3) Someone mentioned weight. Considering what you have shared, of how you drive and care for this car, I don't see the weight being a factor. Sure, if you were throwing it around a track, trying to get extra 2/10ths of a second, it would matter. But you are never going to do that, right?

IMHO, very few aftermarket wheels actually enhance the look of a car. They just look like bling. The BBS CH wheels do look nicer than most, but they just don't quite cut it for me.

Trade car in for a Prius with cheap plastic wheel covers….just kidding.

Seriously: OEM 225 wheels …all day long.

Keep the 225M. 1) They make the car look faster ;). I realize that is very subjective. But that is my opinion. 2) As nice as you have kept this car, I can see why you say it is a little of a museum piece. It seems the BMW wheels add to that. 3) Someone mentioned weight. Considering what you have shared, of how you drive and care for this car, I don't see the weight being a factor. Sure, if you were throwing it around a track, trying to get extra 2/10ths of a second, it would matter. But you are never going to do that, right?

IMHO, very few aftermarket wheels actually enhance the look of a car. They just look like bling. The BBS CH wheels do look nicer than most, but they just don't quite cut it for me.
Strange as it might sound, the difference in the wheel/tire weight is noticeable in daily driving. IIRC the BBS wheels are 5 to 7 pounds lighter, front to rear. Also too the Cup 2 tires are a pound or two lighter than the P4S tires.

Not only is there reduced unsprung weight, there is less rotational mass. There is a noticeable difference in initial braking reaction and quick throttle application in 2nd and 3rd gear. What I'm saying is, you can actually feel the lighter wheel/tire package in public road situations.

And with respect to track time and the like, I have some truly incredible (smooth and desolate) back roads at my disposal. Sometimes I return home after a short 100 mile drive with wheels that are dusted black from brake dust.

With respect to the modifications I've made to the car, here is the complete list. I personally researched, selected, and installed every single item.

Scott

2003 BMW E46 330Ci ZSP Modifications:
BBS CH 19x8.5, 35mm offset
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2; 235/35-19
or
BMW OEM Style 225M, 37mm offset front, 39mm offset rear
Michelin Pilot Sport P4S; 235/35-19 front, 245/35-19 rear
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Bilstein B8 Struts/Shocks, E36 M3 Versions On Rear
BMW Motorsport Front Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates
Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts
H&R Sport Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, 27mm front, 21mm Rear
Turner Motorsports Adjustable, Ball Jointed Front Anti-Roll Bar Endlinks
Mason Engineering Adjustable, Spherical Bearing Rear Anti-Roll Bar Endlinks
BMW M3 Front Strut Brace
BMW ZHP Front Control Arms
BMW M3 Engine Mounts
BMW M3 Transmission Mounts
Meyle HD 66mm Front Control Arm Bushings
BMW M3 Rear Control Arm Bushings
Turner Motorsports Rear Control Arm Bushing Limiters
BMW M3 Spherical Bearing Rear Lower/Outer Control Arm Bushings
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines F/R
BMW Motorsport Cross-drilled, Fully Floating Front Brake Rotors
Jurid Front Brake Pads
BMW M3 Rear Brake Pads
Turner Motorsports Brass Brake Caliper Bushings
Borla Catback Stainless Steel Exhaust
Meyle Heavy Duty Rear Differential Mounts
BMW ZHP Finned Rear Differential Cover/Cooler
BMW ZHP Shift Knob
B&M Short Shift Kit
UUC Stainless Steel, Weighted Shift Rod
Mason Engineering Quick Shift Geometry Clutch Pedal Arm
Stewart Engineering Water Pump
Rogue Engineering Underdrive Pulley Set
BMW M3 Trunk Lid Spoiler Lip
BMW Motorsport Alcantara Steering Wheel
Center Arm Rest Delete

My E46 came with the optional Style 72 wheels.

OH I like those even better.

Still say the 225s out of the two you have. I do agree with the poster that said both sets seem a bit too large... I still think the difference in the front wheels is the key, while the rear CHs look sort of tucked in, the fronts don't... the 225s look even...

OH I like those even better.

Still say the 225s out of the two you have. I do agree with the poster that said both sets seem a bit too large... I still think the difference in the front wheels is the key, while the rear CHs look sort of tucked in, the fronts don't... the 225s look even...
You have a good eye! This is because of the combination of offsets and widths - but mostly tires.

For the fronts, BBS = 8.5" wide, ET 35. 225M = 8.0 inch wide, ET 37. This means the BBS fronts stick out 4.3mm further, about a 1/6 an inch.

For the rears, BBS = 8.5" wide, ET 35. 225M - 9.0" wide, ET39. That's means the 225Ms stick out 2.3 mm farther, just 1/10th an inch.

Enough for you to notice in the pictures? I'm not so sure. Although the fronts are the same 235/35 size, the rears are different. 235/35 on BBS, 245/35 on the 225Ms. So, the wider tire width on the 225M sticks out 5mm farther, a little under 1/4 inch.

And the Cup 2s have a squarer profile than the P4S tire. I think this is the primary difference you are seeing - tires, not wheels. A good spot on your part.

Scott

Last edited:
All that and no wing?? What the heck!
Yeah, the BBSs fit the thoughtfully modded character of the car.

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Bilstein B8 Struts/Shocks, E36 M3 Versions On Rear
BMW Motorsport Front Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates
Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts
H&R Sport Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, 27mm front, 21mm Rear
Turner Motorsports Adjustable, Ball Jointed Front Anti-Roll Bar Endlinks
Mason Engineering Adjustable, Spherical Bearing Rear Anti-Roll Bar Endlinks
BMW M3 Front Strut Brace
BMW ZHP Front Control Arms
BMW M3 Engine Mounts
BMW M3 Transmission Mounts
Meyle HD 66mm Front Control Arm Bushings
BMW M3 Rear Control Arm Bushings
Turner Motorsports Rear Control Arm Bushing Limiters
BMW M3 Spherical Bearing Rear Lower/Outer Control Arm Bushings
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines F/R
BMW Motorsport Cross-drilled, Fully Floating Front Brake Rotors
Jurid Front Brake Pads
BMW M3 Rear Brake Pads
Turner Motorsports Brass Brake Caliper Bushings
Borla Catback Stainless Steel Exhaust
Meyle Heavy Duty Rear Differential Mounts
BMW ZHP Finned Rear Differential Cover/Cooler
BMW ZHP Shift Knob
B&M Short Shift Kit
UUC Stainless Steel, Weighted Shift Rod
Mason Engineering Quick Shift Geometry Clutch Pedal Arm
Stewart Engineering Water Pump
Rogue Engineering Underdrive Pulley Set
BMW M3 Trunk Lid Spoiler Lip
BMW Motorsport Alcantara Steering Wheel
Center Arm Rest Delete

My oldest son jokes with me and says when I pass on he's going to hack it up and put a small block Chevy in it.

You mention it going to an aficionado or collector. It's been fully documented from day one. These are fully stuffed 4 inch thick binders, not the thinner ones. I even have the bottle of wine the dealer gave me when I took possession. My name is engraved on the bottle!

Scott
A good friend of mine, I was a groomsman, just finished a project that is similar but not a hackjob at all. It is a E39 wagon with a 427CI LS3 and a 4L80E. The LS runs off a Holley ECU with a box that lets the Holley and BMW CAN systems communicate so all of the BMW side electronics work. Its a really clean swap, if you are ever in the area you would get a kick out of it. The only outward signs something is up are M5 wheels and it has KW coilovers. Then he starts it up and even with 2 cats and 4 mufflers it is louder than my Mustang.

Back