Accord Sport Upgraded to Smaller Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Should have just bought a lower trim level Accord if you didn't like the factory 18 inch wheels. That's the reason the Sport looks good

X2
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Would a 16" or 15" rim fit?

16 does fit. I have light 16 inch snow tires that remind how heavy the OE wheels are every changeover.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Should have just bought a lower trim level Accord if you didn't like the factory 18 inch wheels. That's the reason the Sport looks good

I wanted the leather bits and the black color that the sport trim offered. We got tired of the stock look that so many sports have. Ours is at least different in that it has a real gearbox.

I am normally a die hard OEM wheel guy but for the super low after rebate cost i will try these out. I would like to get even lighter wheels like an RFP1 or Kosei for the next set.

When i bought tires for the elantra, i really thought about going to 15 inch wheels, I didn't but really came close. The taller sidewalls ride better and are less susceptible to pothole damage.

I have 2 saturns, one with 14 inch wheels, the other with 15. The 14 inch wheels ride better.

Last edited:
Another nice thing about going with a taller aspect ratio is that the tire will provide protection from rim-rash..at least that's what I've experienced since the Kitacamry went from 15" steelies to 17" alloys with standard OEM size tires.

Nick the only reason was the lack of a pure sport summer tire in that size. I want the very best possible traction for my wife to drive on. micmac i am not sure on the backspacing but the offset is close to OE.

To the dismay of some; i sold the oe wheels. With worn out tires and minor curb rash they still fetched 400.00 So after rebate i am in this brand new setup under 500. This was the plan from day 1 of buying this car. Enjoy the OE wheels till the tires wore out and go lighter. The oe wheels are to heavy for me to want to keep and still worth good money today so they had to go.

This is something that I am considering for my old car, as my original wheels all have road rash.

The gas mileage in the city is said to increase when there is a decrease in rotational mass. From what I understand the energy needed to get the wheels moving initially is reduced enough that the car needs less fuel/throttle to get going.

The larger tire sidewall area is also supposed to increase gas mileage, but on the highway. This is said to be due to the better aerodynamic properties at speed. Usually a change in this area accompanies a change in the size of the tread width as well, which obviously plays a part as well.

Anyway I am very curious to know if you notice any change in fuel consumption. And in any detailed description of how the car feels or functions differently.

Thanks for this post Dareo.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Nick the only reason was the lack of a pure sport summer tire in that size. I want the very best possible traction for my wife to drive on. micmac i am not sure on the backspacing but the offset is close to OE.

Try them out during/after rain, the wider tyres might make the car more susceptible to aquaplaning.

This car got the Pilot Super Sport 300 AA A rated tire.

The Super Sport are one of the best wet tires you can get. Don't have to worry about hydroplaning with those.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

The Super Sport are one of the best wet tires you can get. Don't have to worry about hydroplaning with those.

I don't think that's quite true, maybe Capriracer has some data, but I suspect the speed difference in aquaplaning with 1" of water on the road, between the best summer tire and the worst, isn't all that much. The best rubber compound doesn't help when its not on the road.
That said, in normal not aquaplaning wet driving, that tire will be very good. But you can't go 80mph in driving rain and expect it to defy physics.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I don't think that's quite true, maybe Capriracer has some data, but I suspect the speed difference in aquaplaning with 1" of water on the road, between the best summer tire and the worst, isn't all that much. The best rubber compound doesn't help when its not on the road.
That said, in normal not aquaplaning wet driving, that tire will be very good. But you can't go 80mph in driving rain and expect it to defy physics.

I am using 245 MPSS on the front of my car (which is smaller/lighter than an Accord), and have zero issues, even in torrential rain at nearly 200 km/hr.

Last edited:
I went from 16" to 15" on my Matrix:
IMG_2295.jpg

I remember when only the big sedans like Cadillacs had 15" rims; econoboxes had 13" or even 12".

I am using 245 MPSS on the front of my car (which is smaller/lighter than an Accord), and have zero issues, even in torrential rain at nearly 200 km/hr.

Xice3 are good for 200km/h in the snow too? Just do the test pilot stuff at 3am when I'm not on the road please...

Xice3 are good for 200km/h in the snow too? Just do the test pilot stuff at 3am when I'm not on the road please...

Don't get your safety nazi panties in a twist, this was on a racetrack.
smile.gif

A lot of people run the MPSS as their rain tire.

Last edited:

Don't get your safety nazi panties in a twist, this was on a racetrack.
smile.gif

A lot of people run the MPSS as their rain tire.

Well that makes more sense. Did anyone else just aquaplane off the track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back