Accidentally Hitting brakes and gas at the same time in hybrid.

Hi all.

We recently got a Corolla cross hybrid, and today we where driving with the wife behind the wheel.

Brake down to a red light, at almost stand still. She accidentally hit the gas and brake at the same time. The engine reved a bit and the car was moving forward with noise from the brake.

And now I worry. Can hitting the brake and gas at the same time damage the hybrid transmission? Or engine?

Thanks 👍

Have a nice day.

No damage, and I thought Toyota installed software to keep this from happening after the runaway car debacle.

Reactions: D60
Hopefully she is not driving with both feet? That’s a bad habit.

Are the pedals that close?
The floor mounted gas pedals are great for heel-toe. But annoying in an automatic transmission. It happens to me a lot with a size 10 male shoe... but decades of driving a manual transmission made this second nature to me.

I'm not sure how it could happen. I use shoesize EU 47/US 12. And I never had any problems
Being 6'2 with long legs, I've managed to do it in my mom's odyssey, I had the seat all the way back but I was a little slouched in the seat and I have to cut my foot at a sharp angle to get it up on the brake pedal since my legs are long and the brake pedal sticks out a good distance so my foot was at the right angle that it was on the edge of the brake pedal and I hit the accelerator at the same time.

OP, you're fine. It's been reasonably idiot-proofed. Of course flooring both pedals for an extended period of time likely won't be good (assuming the computer doesn't intervene) but I wouldn't sweat it.

If you wanna get specific we can try to figure out where the slippage occurred between the engine revving and the brakes stopping the wheels. In my car with a typical torque-converter automatic, all that'll happen is more spinning in the torque converter and the elevated transmission fluid temperature that results in. In a hybrid, maybe you just got a smidge of regen but that's just a half-guess, half-joke on my part.

No damage, and I thought Toyota installed software to keep this from happening after the runaway car debacle.
I believe in Japan they had an optional feature that would apply the brakes if the accelerator was pressed as far as it would go but I don't believe I have heard of anything else.

excited-run.gif
Run for the hills...............!

Ever been to an autocross? Those drivers beat on cars like crazy and they seem to keep running. No, I do not believe you hurt the car at all. Love the mileage of those hybrids.

That's dumb because TBW allows manufacturers to fix this.

My '11 F350 6.2 completely ignores accelerator input if the BOO is energized. No autocross for me but with drivers as dumb as they are and our legal system the way it is, I understand why they programmed it this way

I mean, did she floor it? LOL

Hopefully she is not driving with both feet? That’s a bad habit.

It's actually a pretty useful skill to have. It's not allowed from the factory in my cars but the tunes reprogram to allow it.

Back