about auto-rx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tropic
I've never used Auto Rx, but I really like the pictures of disgusting oil filters after a cleaning run. It's got to be doing something in there. I'll give it a try if I ever want to thoroughly scour the bowels of my engine's oil system.

Those of use who have seen auto-rx first hand...

I wonder if that black stuff in the filter pleats is mostly the auto-rx itself.

Before anyone considers that an insulting suggestion, an easy test for someone willing to pay is to run auto-rx on a brand new (clean) engine and see if similar black stuff ends up in the filter pleats.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I've never used Auto Rx, but I really like the pictures of disgusting oil filters after a cleaning run. It's got to be doing something in there. I'll give it a try if I ever want to thoroughly scour the bowels of my engine's oil system.

Before anyone considers that an insulting suggestion, an easy test for someone willing to pay is to run auto-rx on a brand new (clean) engine and see if similar black stuff ends up in the filter pleats.

This could be partially true, but pictures and compression tests have definately shown cleaning, so a good chunk of "[censored]" in the filter should be from cleaning the engine.

Would be an interesting and easy test though, I would do it if I had a new car.

Last edited:

It isn't. The filters from my car and my mothers car had no sludge in them at all, because there was no sludge to be cleaned. They looked like any other dirty oil filter I've taken apart.

But I knew neither of these cars had sludge. I just wanted to clean the piston rings and engine seals.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

It isn't. The filters from my car and my mothers car had no sludge in them at all, because there was no sludge to be cleaned. They looked like any other dirty oil filter I've taken apart.

But I knew neither of these cars had sludge. I just wanted to clean the piston rings and engine seals.

I had similar observations, and believe my engine was clean for the most part. What A-Rx did do was reduce oil consumption, and stop a leak, so it was worth it for me.

The only time you'll see dramatic results is if the engine was really sludged up. You can have a clean engine and dirty ring packs, and/or a clean engine that leaks. A-Rx is good for those situations too.

I am using ARX 3 oz maintenance dose on a new RAV4 V-6. It has a cartridge filter, so observations are very easy to do. At 600 miles I changed out the OEM fill and filter. The OEM filter looked very clean and close to its original color. I then used the maintenance dose of ARX in the next fill and then changed the oil and filter at 2000 miles (last week). I was surprised at how dark the filter looked after only 1400 miles, and it had trappped quite a bit of dirt too. It did not appear to have trapped any ARX though (same consistency). If this is accurate evidence of how quickly this 2GR-FE generates dirt/insolubles, then I'm convinced that using a maintenance dose of ARX from the start is good insurance against contaminate build-up in the engine. I'll be changing the oil and filter again at 5K miles and let you know what I find.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I'm third party and I think Auto-Rx is the single most important and effective thing I've learned about here on BITOG.

Amen to that.....I agree 100%, have to add moribundman and his wise cracks and grammer policing as being another one that adds much substance to the board........
happy2.gif

Great I better spell check this stupid response.......

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I am using ARX 3 oz maintenance dose on a new RAV4 V-6. It has a cartridge filter, so observations are very easy to do. At 600 miles I changed out the OEM fill and filter. The OEM filter looked very clean and close to its original color. I then used the maintenance dose of ARX in the next fill and then changed the oil and filter at 2000 miles (last week). I was surprised at how dark the filter looked after only 1400 miles, and it had trappped quite a bit of dirt too. It did not appear to have trapped any ARX though (same consistency). If this is accurate evidence of how quickly this 2GR-FE generates dirt/insolubles, then I'm convinced that using a maintenance dose of ARX from the start is good insurance against contaminate build-up in the engine. I'll be changing the oil and filter again at 5K miles and let you know what I find.

Very interesting!

Now ideally we need a 'control' subject, to make similar observations on a 2GR-FE without auto-rx.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Rx has been in use worldwide for many years. Just do a before and after compression test on your engine.

how would it lead to better compression? cleaning sludge off piston rings? valve seats don't get oiled and are often the cause of lost compression...

Sticking rings can cause lost compression too. A-Rx cleans the ring packs and frees up sticking rings.

Originally Posted By: rmz
Rx has been in use worldwide for many years. Just do a before and after compression test on your engine.

how would it lead to better compression? cleaning sludge off piston rings? valve seats don't get oiled and are often the cause of lost compression...

If you look around there are plenty of documented cases showing increased compression. I would find some myself if I wasn't so tired.

Last edited:
rmz ever heard of search? Jesus so many newbies here who seem brain dead about the search function, I know it's not user friendly but jesus H christ it really isn't that hard.

The search funstion is too difficult for me too. Unless I know the user ID of the post I am looking for, I won't even bother. It's useless!

Auto Rx is the ONLY additive I would use on an engine to clean it now. One tip: If you use it pay close attention to your oil filter as some people have had them clog with gunk. I would only recommend changing the oil filter twice as much as recommended using a ST filter.

rmz ever heard of search? Jesus so many newbies here who seem brain dead about the search function, I know it's not user friendly but jesus H christ it really isn't that hard.

i spent the first few days since signing up for this forum just searching like crazy and it didn't always work out very well.

regardless, my question was related to and meant to be discussed inside this thread that was already going. before making a new thread about ARX i would search, but that wasn't the case here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back