? about audi oil and change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for all the help... this is a great forum. I read some of the analyses and I think I'm going to start with M1 0w40 and see how that works until the next change, then hopefully be able to find some of the german castrol around here. Now I just need to learn what all that info from the UOAs means!

Yes, M1 0W-40 will definitely work for the 1.8T.
cool.gif

[/qb][/QUOTE]It's about MB having to replace engines at their cost because they never said only use synthetic oil. Most people used dino oil, yet went 7500, 10k miles, and only changed the oil when the computer said to.

Same for Toyota.

And if GM is doing the same thing, same for them too.

Car manfacturers should have enough common sence that a dino oil simply is not going to last for extended drain intervals. They build cars with smart computers that tell people when they should change it. In an attempt to extend oil drain intervals. Yet don't tell people only synthetic oil should be used because only synthetic oil can go for extended drain intervals. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more that some of the "new, improved (WHITER WHITES, EXTENDED DRAINS?)" maintenance requirements don't necessarilly equate to GOOD maintenance practices.
crushedcar.gif

Just have not heard of Mercedes replacing any engines because of a printing problem in the owners manual... Do you have a list of specific years and models affected? I know MB's oil requirements have always been a little complex but the VW stuff posted above
lol.gif
are plain crazy!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
offtopic.gif

I bet it happens that a mechanic pulls the old switcheroo on a customer. I would hope it doesn't happen often, but who can you trust anymore?
rolleyes.gif

mad.gif

Reminds me of when I was in high school (1970) dating a girl whose family owned a GM dealership. I would go down in the off hours to wash my car or change the oil. I remember seeing an odd collection of oil cans (Quaker State, Pennzoil, Texaco, etc.) on a shelf in the parts room and asking "What's up with that?"

The answer I got was..."Customers buy this oil at the discount store and bring it in to save money on their oil change. Because it is extra work to use cans, we just use the bulk oil and the cans end up back here." Of course, there was no synthetic oil in those days so the price difference was not so dramatic. However, even back then, I thought...at least some of these people are buying this for a brand preference rather than price.

If you take your own oil to a dealer, watch carefully to make sure they actually use it.

quote:

I know MB's oil requirements have always been a little complex but the VW stuff posted above [LOL!] are plain crazy!

Actually, I don't think the VW specs are crazy - they are just very specific.

With advances (as if!
wink.gif
) in engine design and oil chemistry, it's obvious that oil specs must change. Also, VW makes a variety of engine, gas and diesel (various diesel injection systems!), which all have different requirements.

If you look at VW/Audi gas engines, it comes down to only 3 different oil specs:

- VW502.00 regular drain
- VW503.01 extended drain
- VW503.00 extended drain and low HT/HS for a few VW/Audi engines

[ July 15, 2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

quote:

It's about MB having to replace engines at their cost because they never said only use synthetic oil. Most people used dino oil, yet went 7500, 10k miles, and only changed the oil when the computer said to.
Same for Toyota.
Maybe QuadDriver could give as a hint for these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back