A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by 4WD
This is a Castrol MV I put in my Z71 yesterday (also in our Ford Fusion) … used exclusively in my 2010 GMC

In both cases, Castrol's ATF is licensed and approved by Ford and GM. If the vehicle is under warranty, there will be no disputing that a "proper" ATF was used. The automaker can't claim the wrong fluid was used. Beyond the OEM's warranty, cross your fingers, have all of your ducks in a row, and hope for the best !

Indeed … using non Dex VI (VML) only in the Cruze because that car is very hard on fluid. When I drained the FF at the suggested 40k … oxidation was so bad you'd think I drained 10k oil. So once at 60k and the ACD already looked pretty bad … switched to Maxlife ($18/gallon) and started working in a fresh gallon each 20k … VML always "looks good" for what it's worth … shifting smooth with 120k on the unit …

The Tahoe got ACD and I'll probably stick with that … $22/gallon.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

This is why I would never use that Valvoline product in my automatic transmissions.

Good for you. Bet you feel so much better, don't you?

Originally Posted by DaleRider

Originally Posted by AC1DD

This is why I would never use that Valvoline product in my automatic transmissions.

Good for you. Bet you feel so much better, don't you?

Yes I do, because I use a product that backs up it's performance with a real warranty. Piece of mind is priceless.

And yet we've so many "recommended for use in" Maxlife ATF fans on BITOG.

What is surprising to some is that our OP's post is surprising to some.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by PimTac
Are there any stories here of Mobil 1 or Castrol or whoever granting warranty payment after their product failed?

One would guess that there are close to zero incidences of equipment failure due to those products, if any at all. The only ones I could imagine would be where the fluid was formulated improperly or some other error that missed their quality control.

And if that happened it wouldn't be just one jug. A lot of cars would be having failures.

And if that happened it wouldn't be just one jug. A lot of cars would be having failures.

ATRA would definitely send out a bulletin to tranny shops warning against MaxLife(or other "universal" fluids), quick lubes will need to stock OEM fluid and the blenders/add pack suppliers are back to the drawing board.

Universal ATF is extremely prevalent at quick lubes and most of the aftermarket. IMO, MaxLife is a better mouse trap than dumping in a bottle of a magic additive that claims to transform Dex/Merc fluid into friction-modified fluid. That stunt decades ago was common at Jiffy Lube, some transmissions can handle it. Others like Mopar's 42TE won't.

Last edited:
I have never been a fan of multi-vehicle fluids as they tend to be a compromise of sorts instead I opt for the proper fluid for each vehicle as many times the cost difference is next to nil.

With that said, I boycotted Valvoline for years due to some shenigans that Ashland played with the livelihoods of many people in the small town where I grew up.

Valvoline has divested themselves, and though I recently used some 75W-140 gear oil in my FIL's 2009 Ford, I will not go out of my way to find or use Valvoline.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
I do believe Valvoline is on the cusp of a violation of the M/M Act because they do not make it conspicuously known that the Maxlife ATF product has no warranty.

Well you can believe that all you want but Valvoline clearly disagrees and puts that disagreement in writing, and apparently supports their statement with additional resources.

Kschachn..... Valvoline does not warranty THEIR own product.....

That's obvious.... Like DN3 has said.... They will push you to use the manufacturer warranty.... But they have NONE ala no warranty of their own PRODUCT...

I am not saying Valvoline Maxlife is bad... It clearly is not as evidenced by literally hundreds of millions of miles of use by the general public with no issues using Valvoline Maxlife ATF...

Just that there is zero warranty of their own PRODUCT.

Originally Posted by 4WD
You did not bash anything - just raised awareness - Going to be reading up and try to learn a bit more
Now using Valvoline ML, AC Delco (Mobil) and Castrol MV.
Thanks for post.

Exactly right 4wd ^^^^^^^^

Before all the dust settles, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is all about semantics. From the OP - "Valvoline stands behind all its products, including Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF.".... meets the legalize of.... : https://media.napaonline.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1661827pdf?$PDF$

The email correspondence is correct in that Valvoline does not have a separate product warranty for Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF. But, they do have a blanket warranty that their products are fit for intended use, which is similar to the Mobil warranty listed above. They will warranty the effects of defective lubricant the same way a filter mfg. will warranty the effects of a faulty filter. No more, no less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
Before all the dust settles, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is all about semantics. From the OP - "Valvoline stands behind all its products, including Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF.".... meets the legalize of.... : https://media.napaonline.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1661827pdf?$PDF$

The email correspondence is correct in that Valvoline does not have a separate product warranty for Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF. But, they do have a blanket warranty that their products are fit for intended use, which is similar to the Mobil warranty listed above. They will warranty the effects of defective lubricant the same way a filter mfg. will warranty the effects of a faulty filter. No more, no less.

It'd be interesting to see what the extent of their warranty is. I've seen some disclaimers that if the product is no good, you get your money back. But as others said, it's probably pretty hard to prove that the fluid caused the failure rather than it was just time for the transmission to fail no matter what fluid was in it.

Good find/catch... puts to bed this question in my mind at least. (fwiw, this reads very similar to the Chevron lubricant's warranty)

Thanks for the info. I guess when you have money, you can lie and get away with it. Like saying anything running on Dex III can use this fluid. Nope, a BW4481 transfer case that uses Dex III will slip, bind, whatever it was doing taking corners. Removed and put WM STech Dex III in, all good again. I had planned to exchange the 05 Classic to maxlife multi. It uses Dex III, now I'm wondering if thats a good idea

This!
thumbsup2.gif

I believe this is a good summary in a nutshell.

Now, a side topic has been brought forth regarding proof of product failure. I am not trying to enter into any legaleeze discussion here but I have been on both sides of the issue as an expert witness.

In one case there were multiple differential failures attributed to a particular gear lube at a specific shop so the blender brought me in to do some analysis as there were multiple claims to be decided. I had the lubes analyzed according to ASTM tests and the failed components sent to a metallurgical lab for SAE tests. In this case the lube was formulated as expected and passed the ASTM tests. However, the metallurgical lab found many of the differential components to have insufficient heat treating. Apparently a run of bearings, thrust washers, and gearing had not been heat treated properly, so no lube would have prevented a future failure. The blender was exonerated and the shop filed claims against the component supplier using my analysis report.

In another case an automatic transmission failed rather early and this time a customer asked for some help with the dealer (a dealer that I had purchased autos from for the past 20 years, but evidence is evidence). A warranty claim was denied because the dealer said the OEM fluid had been replaced with a fluid not suited for the transmission and that's what caused the failure. The dealer had sampled the fluid from the failed transmission and had some parts for analysis so we had some evidence to work with. The ATF used by the customer was also analyzed. So while the analysis was being done on both the fluids and the metal parts and clutches, I went to various transmission shops and discussed this particular transmission and their rebuilds and pulled TSB 's and shop tech tips.

From the evidence gathered here were the results: 1) customer ATF fluid had no problems and was of the proper formulation, 2) Sampled fluid from the transmission showed high levels of particulates and high aluminum wear, 3) TSB's warned of excessive pump gearing rub against pump body. Conclusion: A. Pump rub shed a lot of aluminum (4300+ ppm) which in turn degraded and wore clutches, blocked valving, hydraulic system, cooling, etc., B. Fluid was not at fault.

I and the customer went to the manager with the data and asked if they would like to quietly replace the transmission under warranty or risk a court case. Transmission replacement was scheduled for the next day with an upgraded transmission.

In only one instance have I found the fluid or lube to be at fault and that was due to a computer malfunction at a blender's facility. The customer's driveline component (the customer hired me to investigate) was replaced by the fluid manf. and the blender hired me for a short stint to rewrite the computer code and to develop better QC procedures.

I have bored you with all of this to show that warranty claims are not as simple as some people would like them to be. Bottom line is, each side of a warranty claim needs to have their ducks and evidence in a row to make any valid claims or counter-claims.

Hearsay evidence and Internet babble just doesn't cut it against hard evidence.

One more thing: Some time ago there was a thread in the ATF section discussing Mercon V ATF verses a certain manufacturer's Mercon V and the thread drifted toward some outright and incorrect allegations re: licensing. I hope this thread stays on course and doesn't drift in some other direction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Again - for those not paying attention, or wanting to think I'm product bashing ...
I AM NOT SAYING THIS PRODUCT IS BAD OR UNSUITABLE FOR USE.

What I'm saying is that if your vehicle is under OEM warranty, Valvoline is going to push you to deal with the OEM and not warrant their product.
If your vehicle is no longer under OEM warranty, Valvoline will "stand behind" their product by offering no warranty, implied or written.

Those are the facts we can glean from their PI sheet and their reply to my question about warranty.
I offer nothing more or less than facts.

I do believe Valvoline is on the cusp of a violation of the M/M Act because they do not make it conspicuously known that the Maxlife ATF product has no warranty.

I find it perplexing that many people here would argue about filter warranties, and then ignore this topic as if it has no consequences. What an odd bunch of hypocrites some BITOGers are ...

Two comments:

1) If your transmission fails while under the OEM warranty, why would you expect Valvoline to warrant the transmission? If you changed the ATF within the OEM warranty period, and you used Valvoline and the Valvoline product you used met the required OEM specifications, any failure of the transmission would most certainly be because the transmission itself was faulty.
2) If your vehicle is out of OEM warranty, why would you expect Vavloine to extend the transmission warranty beyond what the OEM offered?

For example, my wife's 2011 BMW E90. It's got a 6 speed GM auto. I change the ATF every 20k miles, using Kendall D6 ATF. The vehicle has 90k miles on it now. The vehicle is long out of factory OEM warranty. Suppose the transmission failed. Would you expect Kendall to warrant it because I used their oil? Not!

Scott

That second point is a very, very good one....

When I changed my CVT fluid in my car at 283k miles plus.... If it would have gone kaputt... I honestly would not have blamed the fluid I put in it.... Because at 283,500 miles... I don't have nothing much to complain about. It would have gone kaputt no matter if I put OEM fluid in it at that point.

Having said that... The Eneos CVT fluid I have in there is running extremely well. Way, way quieter at low speed + high load situations. Worth the $12.49 a quart I paid for those 9 qts.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Has there ever been a case where the transmission fluid caused a failure? In this respect include all fluid manufacturers and this should not include the wrong fluid being used.

From a few years ago, although who knows if it was the Maxlife, filter installation, or GM transmission:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2879800/1

Or changing the ATF significantly past the recommended interval. The OP contradicted himself so many times in that thread it is impossible to tell what was and wasn't done.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Well you can believe that all you want but Valvoline clearly disagrees and puts that disagreement in writing, and apparently supports their statement with additional resources.

Kschachn..... Valvoline does not warranty THEIR own product.....

That's obvious.... Like DN3 has said.... They will push you to use the manufacturer warranty.... But they have NONE ala no warranty of their own PRODUCT...

I am not saying Valvoline Maxlife is bad... It clearly is not as evidenced by literally hundreds of millions of miles of use by the general public with no issues using Valvoline Maxlife ATF...

Just that there is zero warranty of their own PRODUCT.

And no other company will warranty their own fluid until it is proven the fluid was at fault. After thousands of hours of testing completed by each ATF on the market in various applications by each blender good luck proving the fluid is at fault.

Allow me to reiterate where I started from ...
(quoting Newton) - "I am wanting to know your specific warranty coverage for your ATF products; specfically the Maxlife ATF. I do not see any written warranty statement anywhere on your website. Can you please direct me to the specific page, or send me an email copy of the warranty."
(quoting Valvoline product support) - "David, thank you for your reply. We do not offer a written or implied warranty for MaxLife ATF."
Now, I inquired about a very specific topic, and was told very specifically it didn't exist.

And yet this shows up ... https://media.napaonline.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1661827pdf?$PDF$
Now that would shed new light unto the topic. And I would agree that this document would be singularly revealing in that it's pretty much what we'd expect. There is no date on that document; I can only presume it's still valid.

But ... is that not a complete and utter contradiction? There's a limited written warranty out there in web-world via Napa, but when I ask to be provided that information directly from Valvoline, I'm told it doesn't exist?

Why in the world would I be told in an email by the Valvoline product support group that there is no warranty for the Maxlife ATF if it was covered under this warranty statement. Why not say ... "Here you go Mr. Newton; here's our written limited warranty statement that covers all Valvoline lubricants". And ... why is this warranty statement not found on the Valvoline site? (Note that it's linked via the napa site, but I cannot find it anywhere on the Valvoline site). If someone can find a direct link to the limited warranty statement on Valvoline's site, then kudos to you, because I spent 1/2 hour looking and never could find it, which is why I reached out to the product support "contact us" in the first place.

Ironic, is it not, that the Valvoline product support group didn't send this to me? This document is all I was after; it's what I was seeking. And rather than send this to me, I was directly told there is no warranty for the Maxlife ATF product. That is a FAR cry from what the document states.

Why don't some of you email Valvoline and see if they give you the same answer that I got?
https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/contact-us
Use the "show form" button for contact.
And don't prime the pump for them; make them answer your question without prompting them about the Napa document. Start from scratch like I did.
Then see what you're told.

Last edited:
To further muddy the waters Valvoline has an up to $4000 warranty if you use their fluid and have the service done at Valvoline service center. It appears Valvoline has complete faith in their product and representatives.

Valvoline must do something right being the #1 seller of ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back