Valvoline Maxlife ATF(RED) VS. Valvoline Full Synthetic(BLUE)

SDS has the info.
SDS doesn't say which DI package they use, unless you're referring to something else.

Comparing the "Typical Properties" of the pictured EP vs MLFSMV side by side from their Product Info Sheet pdfs. the ONLY difference looking 'perhaps' significant between the two is the Brookfield Viscosity, 11k for ML vs <10K for EP. Otoh, KV40, KV100, and VI are identical. So for me, despite the EP marketing not enough difference to pay price premium for EP vs ML and change from my long time use of MLMV.
There is a big difference in compatibility, shift quality, and anti-wear properties between Max Life and EP ATF, with the later being much better for step shift automatics.

That said, despite what MLMV bottle says now I would not use it for CVT. Valvoline makes a dedicated CVT fluid in blue bottle which I have used/am using in Nissan application.
That's what I said: use dedicated CVT fluiid for CVTs, unless you have an old & leaky CVT with elastomer seal issues, then use Max Life ATF.

SDS doesn't say which DI package they use, unless you're referring to something else.

There is a big difference in compatibility, shift quality, and anti-wear properties between Max Life and EP ATF, with the later being much better for step shift automatics.

That's what I said: use dedicated CVT fluiid for CVTs, unless you have an old & leaky CVT with elastomer seal issues, then use Max Life ATF.
I never mentioned anything about "DI" package. I stated exactly what's seen in "typical properties" from the Valvoline respective spec sheets. So, 100% accurate as stated. Fwiw, haven't seen any "DI package".

As for your shift quality comments, I take that those are completely anecdotal in nature. Meaning mine or others experience may not be the same as yours.

I just added the CVT use comment to clarify my opinion/position on ML for use in CVT. You asked what's the deal with this one, based on the facts found I gave my opinion. Looking at it now, perhaps a mistake to quote the query.

Last edited:
I used Maxlife in my old Nissan Sentra 4-speed AT, and it never shifted properly afterwards. If it works in your vehicle, great! Stick with what works. I wouldn't advise adding more variables into the situation, via a different fluid, over just a few dollars.

I take that those are completely anecdotal in nature.
No, they're not. There is a noticeable difference between the two. With Valvoline EP you get quick, crisp, and soft shifts in pretty much any step shift automatic you use it in. Though, you need to reset the adaptive values and perform a re-learn. The typical properties don't mean much in the context of compatibility and shift quality.

I used Maxlife in my old Nissan Sentra 4-speed AT, and it never shifted properly afterwards.
When you switch ATFs, even when you switch it partially, the adaptive values have to be reset, and a re-learn has to be performed, for the transmission to shift properly. Otherwise, your results may wary. It's something 90%, if not more, of people don't do. That's where the recommendation of sticking with OEM fluid comes from. Not because it's better, but because the transmission is "programmed" for it.

No, they're not. There is a noticeable difference between the two. With Valvoline EP you get quick, crisp, and soft shifts in pretty much any step shift automatic you use it in.....
Says who? Is there some sae type paper you can cite that references shift quality difference between EP an ML If so, I'd like to read it. Not that it will change my MLMV use. Based on your follow up comments though it does seem that your query was more rhetorical in nature, than looking for information,.

I do see you now understand when I stated "typical properties" and the accuracy of the points noted in first reply.

Last edited:
Says who? Is there some sae type paper you can point to that references shift quality difference between EP an ML If so, I'd like to read it. Not that it will change my MLMV use. Based on your follow up comments though it does seem that your query was more rhetorical in nature, than looking for information,.

I do see you now understand when I stated "typical properties" and the accuracy of the points noted in first reply.
FWIW, the frictional properties in DI packages are proprietary information, so the only way to make an informed decision about which ATF to use is by mainly trying it out and gathering as much information as possible about the product, additive supplier, etc. Then, perform the aforementioned TCM reprogramming for optimal transmission performance. Performing oil analysis to determine oxidation and the general condition of the fluid is crucial. About the best you can do to determine wear is to use magnets, while also using a secondary filter like a Magnefine or similar. That's because most people will not perform a transmission teardown to determine how well the non-OEM ATF of their choice protects their automatic transmission. Good luck with that SAE paper, though, and don't let your lack of expertise get in the way of your opinions. 👍

It seems you don't have the necessary experience with automatic transmission fluids to propel this discussion forward in a productive manner, so I'll leave it here.

So the simple/short answer is no, you have no authoritative citing for the alleged shift quality differences between EP and ML So at this point, anecdotal seems accurate.

There are no "SAE papers" on the subject. ATF DI packages also contain the friction modifiers. You can't separate them from the additive package. They are proprietary, and outside of a specialized lab, you can't competently determine friction coefficients and other parameters. That leaves "trying" for the average consumer. But if you claim you know better, then provide some proof.

Look harder, it’s there.
I haven't looked before because usually MSDS documents are as obfuscated as possible. But sure enough, it's Infineum:

[Thank you!]

[That's about as good as it gets for step shift ATF.]

1714403022706.jpg

@Sayjac the purse swinging was fun. But seriously though, don't take it from me, just look at what @The Critic pointed out. The EP is the better ATF. I guess that's why it's more expensive than Max Life.

I didn’t say it was better. I was merely leading you to information you were seeking; how you decide to interpret it is all you…
Valvoline themselves claim that it is their top of the line step shift ATF. Marketing claims can be exaggerated in how they present a product to get the customer's attention, but they must be backed by truth. The Max Life ATF used a Lubrizol DI package in the past, but they switched to an Afton Chemical additive package that works for both CVTs and step shift automatics. It is one of Afton's "budget friendly" DI packages, not their best. Although, Afton Chemical makes some high end stuff as well.

@The Critic FWIW, thanks for leading me to that info. Unless I'm looking for typical properties that aren't listed on a PDS sheet, I gave up on looking for clues in SDS documents, as most blenders obfuscate them as much as possible.

I didn’t say it was better. I was merely leading you to information you were seeking; how you decide to interpret it is all you…
Fwiw, completely agree with that statement and the use of the word "interpret." Adding, sadly imo, seem this thread became a set up for promotion of EP rather than a search for facts. For me, seen nothing to change my opinion and use of MLMV. Thanks for adding your point of view. It would be interesting to see a VOAs of EP and current ML to compare the add packs.

Last edited:
It is one of Afton's "budget friendly" DI packages, not their best.
We don't know that. Valvoline could have worked with Afton to develop a custom DI package for their needs and as a result, there may be no information found on the internet about that particular package.

We don't know that. Valvoline could have worked with Afton to develop a custom DI package for their needs and as a result, there may be no information found on the internet about that particular package.
Yes, but why bother since Afon Chemical already makes HiTEC 3488, and has been doing so for several years? All that Max Life ads is additional seal sweller, which doesn't need to be built into the DI package.

Here is the PDF for HiTEC 3488: https://www.aftonchemical.com/getme...9f0d-45d841a4a66c/HiTEC-3488_PDS.pdf?ext=.pdf

1714405932690.jpg

Castrol was the first company to use this HiTEC 3488 additive package in one of their products:

1714405888804.jpeg

1714405834490.jpg

Yes, but why bother since Afon Chemical already makes HiTEC 3488, and has been doing so for several years? All that Max Life ads is additional seal sweller, which doesn't need to be built into the DI package.

Here is the PDF for HiTEC 3488: https://www.aftonchemical.com/getme...9f0d-45d841a4a66c/HiTEC-3488_PDS.pdf?ext=.pdf

View attachment 216779

Castrol was the first company to use this HiTEC 3488 additive package in one of their products:

View attachment 216778

View attachment 216776
A lot of majors use custom DI packages - that is nothing new. When you have volume, you get the privilege of working more closely with the additive supplier to develop something that satisfies your performance standards.

Back