A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Maxlife in my 2009 F150 6R80 transmission. It led to extremely harsh 6-5-4 downshifts (an issue these transmissions are known for) and the subsequent switch back to Mercon LV purchased directly from the Ford dealership, mostly resolved the shifting harshness. Put another way, Maxlife made a known issue significantly worse.

The fluid is a general purpose fluid and may not be identical to the OEM fluid.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by drtyler
Originally Posted by PimTac
Has there ever been a case where the transmission fluid caused a failure? In this respect include all fluid manufacturers and this should not include the wrong fluid being used.

From a few years ago, although who knows if it was the Maxlife, filter installation, or GM transmission:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2879800/1

Or changing the ATF significantly past the recommended interval. The OP contradicted himself so many times in that thread it is impossible to tell what was and wasn't done.

I went through all 15 pages of that thread and I agree, it deteriorated into mush towards the end. The usual suspects were also putting in their efforts.

It turned into a vendetta of sorts.

I went through all 15 pages of that thread and I agree, it deteriorated into mush towards the end. The usual suspects were also putting in their efforts.

And the OP was eventually banned from this site, that also tells you something. We've had a few "anti-Valvoline" posters in the past, maybe it's always the same one I do not know. Reading that thread it is clear this one was making up stuff as he went along, along with a severe case of selective hearing.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Piece of mind is priceless.

Piece of mind is worthless; it's obvious nobody cares about opinions.

Peace of mind is fleeting, because even though you don't care about opinions, curiosity gets your mind worrying again. Otherwise we wouldn't all keep posting.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I used Maxlife in my 2009 F150 6R80 transmission. It led to extremely harsh 6-5-4 downshifts (an issue these transmissions are known for) and the subsequent switch back to Mercon LV purchased directly from the Ford dealership, mostly resolved the shifting harshness. Put another way, Maxlife made a known issue significantly worse.

The fluid is a general purpose fluid and may not be identical to the OEM fluid.

You have had terrible experiences with your F150's I've never seen or heard of. I don't want to be on the golf course near you during a storm.

Originally Posted by dave1251
To further muddy the waters Valvoline has an up to $4000 warranty if you use their fluid and have the service done at Valvoline service center. It appears Valvoline has complete faith in their product and representatives.

Valvoline must do something right being the #1 seller of ATF.

They use their "pro series" line in their transmission service. Valvoline also use to have a warranty program for the engine too if you registered your vehicle and used Valvoline fluids, not sure if it's still going on.

Originally Posted by dnewton3

Why in the world would I be told in an email by the Valvoline product support group that there is no warranty for the Maxlife ATF if it was covered under this warranty statement.

Lazy customer service person?.. dunno but it's hardly unheard of for this kind of experience to happen. (Being told one thing to only find out later it's something different).

You should try dealing with Comcast reps.. they're a doozy. Talk about customer NO service!

Last edited:
I still don't understand why the OP didn't request the same warranty information from all aftermarket AT fluid brands (e.g. Castrol, ExxonMobil, etc).
Why just Valvoline? Did I miss that info in this thread?

A warranty would matter in this case because Maxlife ATF does not have any formal approvals, yet Valvoline states that is suitable for use in most automatic transmissions. The AT fluids offered by Castrol and Mobil do have those approvals (Mercon V, Mercon LV, Dexron VI, etc).

Originally Posted by DGXR
I still don't understand why the OP didn't request the same warranty information from all aftermarket AT fluid brands (e.g. Castrol, ExxonMobil, etc).
Why just Valvoline? Did I miss that info in this thread?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Peace of mind is fleeting, because even though you don't care about opinions, curiosity gets your mind worrying again. Otherwise we wouldn't all keep posting.

I find it interesting that you omitted the most important part of that post I made....

in addition i stated I use a product that has a written warranty which covers any failure due to their product being defective

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

And the OP was eventually banned from this site, that also tells you something. We've had a few "anti-Valvoline" posters in the past, maybe it's always the same one I do not know. Reading that thread it is clear this one was making up stuff as he went along, along with a severe case of selective hearing.

What does his being banned tell me? That perhaps the paid sponsor didn't like the negative posts regarding their product?
Please elaborate. Thanks .

I find it interesting that you omitted the most important part of that post I made....

in addition i stated I use a product that has a written warranty which covers any failure due to their product being defective

And who will determine that? Not you.

What does his being banned tell me? That perhaps the paid sponsor didn't like the negative posts regarding their product?
Please elaborate. Thanks .

That he had a history of posting nonsense and finally a moderator pulled the plug. You know it happens, right?

Keep posting goofy conspiracy theories and other useless comments and generally it will earn that user name a ban.

Valvoline has not been a sponsor here AFIK. Also AMSOIL is bashed a lot, Pennzoil, Lubrizol, and Blackstone get a fair share negative posts also and I'm sure their sponsorship isn't free.

Maybe I missed it in all the hubbub of this thread... but it seems like the OP's original inquiry has been satisfied; Valvoline DOES in fact, have a written warranty on all of its products... and none of the multitudes here have ever been a part of any warranty payouts from a fluid manufacturer. Because as stated above, lubricant-related failures, when the correct fluid is used, are rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I missed it in all the hubbub of this thread... but it seems like the OP's original inquiry has been satisfied; Valvoline DOES in fact, have a written warranty on all of its products... and none of the multitudes here have ever been a part of any warranty payouts from a fluid manufacturer. Because as stated above, lubricant-related failures, when the correct fluid is used, are rare.

dnewton3 is correct that the blanket warranty link from NAPA that I posted above is to be questioned. I emailed Valvoline a few days ago and am waiting to see how my answer compares to dnewton3's. I asked specifically if Valvoline had a product warranty and if Maxlife ATF was included in that warranty. I hope that my hunch is correct that mfg. contact people answering questions are sometimes incompetent.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

dnewton3 is correct that the blanket warranty link from NAPA that I posted above is to be questioned. I emailed Valvoline a few days ago and am waiting to see how my answer compares to dnewton3's. I asked specifically if Valvoline had a product warranty and if Maxlife ATF was included in that warranty. I hope that my hunch is correct that mfg. contact people answering questions are sometimes incompetent.

If it doesn't come directly from Ashland/Valvoline, I don't trust it.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Keep posting goofy conspiracy theories and other useless comments and generally it will earn that user name a ban.

That's odd, we do know that there are actual conspiracies that happen in the world.

Of course this is a private website so they can make any rule they want to .

Originally Posted by doitmyself

If it doesn't come directly from Ashland/Valvoline, I don't trust it.

Ashland has nothing to do with it. It's a separate company.

Guys - enough of the conspiracy talk about tertiary topics (bans, sponsors, etc).

I, the OP who started this thread, have used the product (Maxlife MV ATF) many times before and never had one problem with it; I like it as a good alternative to Mercon LV in my many Ford products. But because I have a vehicle now under OEM Ford warranty, I wanted to use the Vavoline product in my application in lieu of Mercon LV, as they (Valvoline) state the Maxlife MV ATS is "approved for use" (but not licensed). Because it's not licensed, I wanted to know what Valvoline's position was in regard to their product warranty status; hence, I used their formal "contact us" form link right on their corporate website, which directed the inquiry straight to their customer support group. And the answer I got from that official Valvoline source was akin to "we don't warranty the product or it's effects". That is, to say the least, both shocking and concerning.

So, I posted this thread as a word of caution (nothing more and nothing less) for all to see so that they could be aware of what I was told. A "word of caution" is my way of saying ... "Hey guys, be careful here. Make sure you investigate this from your own point of view and be aware that warranty may in jeopardy". That's all I did. It would be no different than had I said "Hey - there's a water puddle there; make sure you check the depth of it and consider some rubber boots before you step into it." I never said to not use Valvoline. I never said to not step into the puddle, nor that you would die if you did, or that the sponsor of the puddle was evil. And I also never said not to use Maxlife ATF, and I never said to blame Valvoline for tranny failures. I never went down the road of sponsorship issues. All I said was that Valvoline MIGHT deny warranty because, according to their direct statement to me, they don't have a warranty for that product. Some of you read WAY too much into things. A word of caution means to be careful of some noted condition, and perhaps investigate it further before you enter into it. That's all. Nothing more.

I NEVER advocated for people to stop using the product, nor did I ever state it was a bad product. All I said was these three things:
- if their lack of any warranty ("implied or written") is correct, it is likely a violation of the M/M Act because it is not conspicuously posted at the point of sale, and in fact stands in complete contrast to the PI sheet information
- I would not continue to buy Valvoline products IF this positional statement is true.
- I encouraged anyone to seek out the info for themselves; look at the website and make contact with them yourself if you don't trust what I discovered

Within the next few days I am going to call that same Valvoline support group, explain the contradiction they've presented, and get a person to give me direct input. Don't know that it will solve things, but it may clear up their position, or it may muddy it; only time will tell.

How you all turned this into fear-mongering, product bashing and such, well, is just typical BITOG hyper-sensitive garbage. Rather than deal with facts and proper scrutiny, the world of conjecture and side-show topics just can't be controlled. Don't pollute my thread with your heresy and put words into my mount I never said. Some of you need to grow up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back