9mm handgun recommendation

I own a Glock 22, a Smith & Wesson 686, and a Ruger single six but I’ve never owned a 9mm. The easy thing would be to stick with Glock but I was wondering what the communities thoughts are
USP 9, in compact, elite, tactical, LEM version or V7.

The “California Approved” list and magazine capacity limits complicate the answer.

Not many Walthers on the list, for example. None in 9mm.

Because recoil sensitivity, magazine capacity, and CA DOJ approval are all factors, I would lean towards a 1911.

One on the approved list. Most of the guns recommended are not on the approved list, but a Springfield target 1911 in 9mm is there. Reasonably priced, ticks all the boxes.

Edit: so is the Kimber stainless target.

Last edited:
My favorite 9 mm handguns are from the CZ-75 family. I prefer handguns with exposed hammers.

And made of steel.
I agree with this. But even earlier. And the P09 is no slouch.

CZ had this figured out long ago. CZ-82 - well ok, 9mm, 9x18. I can aim this thing by feel, and trigger is perfect - made many moons ago.

1712664442667.jpeg

Oddly it's twin in .380 (9x17) is approved by their #$#@&^ standards.............

My thought is: stick with the easy thing. Get a Glock.
I believe in learning a weapon (or manual of arms) and sticking with it. I firmly believe in muscle memory and have witnessed a weird phenomenon many times-in moments of extreme stress, the body (or brain) reverts to the familiar.
It’s for this reason I recommend you stick with Glock, and I realize many offer a virtual Glock copy. If you were raised, as I was, on a 1911, I’d say Hi-Power.
Having said all that over 30 years ago I converted to a HK P7, which was like going from golf to bowling. So do what you like.

My thought is: stick with the easy thing. Get a Glock.
I believe in learning a weapon (or manual of arms) and sticking with it. I firmly believe in muscle memory and have witnessed a weird phenomenon many times-in moments of extreme stress, the body (or brain) reverts to the familiar.
It’s for this reason I recommend you stick with Glock, and I realize many offer a virtual Glock copy. If you were raised, as I was, on a 1911, I’d say Hi-Power.
Having said all that over 30 years ago I converted to a HK P7, which was like going from golf to bowling. So do what you like.
The challenge he faces: the CA DOJ.

No gen 4 or Gen 5 Glocks are approved.

10 round magazine limits (and there are OEM magazines for the 19 with a 10 round capacity, just as there are for the 17).

So, it's a Gen 3, if he can find one used.

Just get a 9mm Glock 17/19 and go from there. They are the perfect baseline to start with since pretty much everything else out there is measured against them. They are extremely popular for a reason.

My favorite 9 mm handguns are from the CZ-75 family. I prefer handguns with exposed hammers.

And made of steel.
Same here, I didn't bite the bullet when Shadow 2 came out, still rocking my original Shadow with a few tweaks - short trigger reach and reset, competition hammer, springs etc. Had to replace barrel after 75k rounds thou.

I would recommend you go to a range where you can rent 9mm's. It's always best to test shoot before you buy. I can recommend a few that are top favorites to try. The Glock 43x, Sig P365 and S&W Shield.

So many choices, so little time...

Having said that, my recommendation would be HK VP9SK. Small enough to carry (I do appendix). Big enough for home defense. I have to admit, summer carry with thin shirts is a no go so I move to a micro 9. In my case a FN Reflex, which is not CA compliant.

The HK comes with a decent trigger out of the box but not great. After 1K rounds, it smooths out substantially.

Not that it would be my favorite choice, but if I could only have one gun, it would be a Glock 26. Ultra dependable, almost impossible to destroy, can be fully disassembled and easily modified with just a Glock armorer's tool (basically a drift). I have one and it will never part my company.

Nice to see CZ getting some love here. CZ's are a work of art, especially the 75-B

I'll give a shout out to Beretta too. 92X - I have an FS slide on a 92X frame. I'd like to get another slide, an X to match the frame.

These are big beefy full sized heavy shooting irons. And I love them.

The challenge he faces: the CA DOJ.

No gen 4 or Gen 5 Glocks are approved.

10 round magazine limits (and there are OEM magazines for the 19 with a 10 round capacity, just as there are for the 17).

So, it's a Gen 3, if he can find one used.
They still sell them new...........gotta love CA, not Gen4 but Gen3 is fine, what a joke.

USP is no longer ok? Has thumb safety. Just a crock.

I was going to recommend that you shoot an HK VP9 before making your choice. But I'm pretty sure that HK has not bothered getting any of their firearms on the California approved list.

My second recommendation would be a Walther PDP, which replaced the PPQ. I had a PPQ, and it was a very nice pistol. The PDP is supposed to be even nicer. I don't know if the PDP is on the California approved list either. But I'm pretty sure the Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 is, and I heard a lot of good about them.
Lay a VP9 next to a G17 and one thing will be clear. One is sexy as fuqk, and the other is boring ass milk toast..

Back