99 Ford Expdition 5.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford recommends 5W20 for this engine starting in 2001. Is it compatible with the 99 model?. If it saves me some gas money it is worth it - my fuel bill is outrageous.

Vehicle has 140k miles, mostly on Mobil 1. Just tried havoline 5W30 as a result of reading about it on this website. Autozone has Motorcraft 5W20 syn blend for a little over $2/qt, wanted to try it.

I'm also just starting the cleaning cycle with Auto-RX. Oil consumption has always been high (qt/2000 miles) and it seems to get dirty quicker than it used to. At best, it gets 12MPG with my wife running around in it.

Thanks for your help.

5W-20 won't help the fuel bill much, but neither will it cause the engine to wear out more quickly.

billtx, wife has 99 Lincoln Navigator. I can honestly not see a difference in running Motorcraft 5w-20 or 5w-30. Around 15 mpg is average. About all you can do is to make sure it's in a good state of tune and keep a clean air filter and proper tire pressure. These will affect it more as well as driving style.
cheers.gif

MPG has always been poor, probably has to do with my wife's driving habits. I changed the spark plugs and went from 10.x to 11.x MPG. I bought it used with about 22k on it, around a year old.

My wife has a '98 5.4L Expedition. It burned oil using M1, but I changed the PCV valve and switched back to dino. It hasn't burned oil since.

I ran Havoline 5W20 for 2 OCIs and it ran well. It might have increased the fuel mileage slithly, but I noticed a bigger improvement after the ARx treatments. Gas mileage is still horrible though.

One more thing...if you change the PCV valve go to the Ford dealership and buy a MC PCV valve. I tried to other brands from part stores and they did not work well at all. The MC part comes with a grommet and is the same as the OEM part. It is about the same price.

you're welcome to review the spreadsheet of modular motor UOA and decide if 5w20 is right for you. Please right click and save as:

http://www.dantheoilman.com/modular.xls

If you want a little bit more gas mileage then get electric fans and underdrive pulleys. Not onl will you get about 14 to 20 more hp....but a decent bump in mileage.

Newguy, where is the PCV located? I took a quick look but could not see it. I thought about changing that out also.

Thanks guys.

I think I'll give the 5W-20 a try. Sounds like it can't hurt but may be able to help.

Note that I can get higher mileage when I drive it - my wife is a good test case, she never changes her driving habits.

Also would not be a bad idea to try and decarburize things, I've used Techron in it in the past. Not sure how that compares with Seafoam.

Likely you will notice very little change from running a 5w30 by switching to a 5w20. I know I didn't note any difference over a 1 year period in my '99 F150. My UOA's showed virtually no difference in wear between the oils, so they both work fine.

I did note a 5+% fuel mileage drop using 5w40 over a 1 year period - needless to say that experiment has ended (and wear was not out of statistical noise to call an improvement).

Get new PCV valve and decarbonize combustion chambers with SEAFOAM DEEPCREEP.

2 apps will do it.

1 qt every 2000 miles is not bad. Its with in spec.

Try Valvoline MaxLife Dino 5-30. WalMart has it for $8.98 for 5qt jug, and you can pick up a MoCraft FL820S filter for $3 at the same time.

It has between around 15%PAO syn.

Huh I noticed a 1.5-2 mpg difference when I switched to 5w-20 from 5w-30 in my 5.4L. It ranges from 16.5 to 17, before it was 14.5-15. It seems to internal dyno I don't need to push it as hard with 20wt. I notice the harder I push the more oil it consumes, such as pulling a heavy trailer and keeping it out overdrive. On 400 mile trip pulling a heavy trailer I got 12-13mpg, their has be something not right with yours. I do have a AF1, dual exhaust (probably hurts more than anything), 45 psi in all tires, so I guess that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back