99 Cougar detail job - freebie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I attempted to restore some life into my sis-in-laws 1999 Cougar today. I did not do a paint correction, more of a tune up since I don't have the necessary tools nor knowledge of a true paint correction. I'm pretty much a rookie.
She's a cool sis-in-law, so I hooked her up.
Man, it was hot today in the mid 90's! ! !

My steps were:
Wash
Clay
Megs Ultimate Compound via PC 7424
Megs SwirlX via PC 7424
Megs ColorX via PC 7424
3M Performance Finish Sealant

A couple of before and afters, and then some afters.
cougar1.jpg

cougar2.jpg

cougar3.jpg

cougar4.jpg

cougar5.jpg

cougar6.jpg

cougar7.jpg

looks really good. I love my PC 7424, also got a Meguiars g110 as a back up used, but in great shape.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
You did an awesome job! shes lucky to have you!

+1000

And I'd say you did a lot of correction. You used products meant to dramatically improve paint, you used a proper polisher to do the work, and you did everything in a logical process. I say Very Well Done!!!

How did you like working with the #M Perfmorance Finish?

I read your other post where you got it for $2. I do want to try it out. Hopefully the durability is up there.

I got the 3M Performance Finish on clearance at my local WalMart. I applied it very thin and it wasn't that hard to remove. It dried very quickly with the heat, so I only did a small panel at a time. I used a foam applicator but forgot to dampen it a bit like I usually do. It got kinda thick, but it washed out of the applicator easily when I finished.

I usually have a very hard time getting 476s completely out of the applicator pad.

I hope the durability is at least 4 months or so with proper washings.

Don't you feel nice doing a good deed? I sure do. I've many times did a free detail or oil change and really felt good about myself. And the rewards are also returned favors.

How about pics of the car and the happy sis-in-law?
whistle.gif

(Sorry couldn't resist, its a BITOG thing...)

Seems like you did a fine job on the paint correction!! Sounds like you have the correct tools to me! A rotary buffer, for the most part IMO, is mostly only necessary when you get into wetsanding or for removing sanding marks, etc...

It probably would have taken a rotary and some wetsanding to get out some of the scratches self inflicted by the owner (my sis in law). She gets the love bugs off her front bumper with an SOS pad! OUCH! I think she put a brillo or an SOS pad to the hood in one area, but realized the amount of scratching that it will do.

I told her from now on, just let me keep the hood and front bumper well waxed, NO MORE BRILLO OR SOS PADS!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Don't you feel nice doing a good deed?

Yes, I enjoyed helping her out. I volunteered b/c I wanted to work on a dark colored car and she takes pretty good care of her 99 Cougar. Its only got 74K miles.
The only charge was a large Gatorade when I was done to replenish some of the sweat I lost.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
How about pics of the car and the happy sis-in-law?

I'll see what I can do. I don't know why I didn't get one of her and the car together. She's definitely a cutie!

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
It probably would have taken a rotary and some wetsanding to get out some of the scratches self inflicted by the owner (my sis in law). She gets the love bugs off her front bumper with an SOS pad! OUCH! I think she put a brillo or an SOS pad to the hood in one area, but realized the amount of scratching that it will do.

I told her from now on, just let me keep the hood and front bumper well waxed, NO MORE BRILLO OR SOS PADS!

Eesh, lol. Might as well just call 'em sanding marks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back