collinite 476 aggravations - by hand or machine

You cannot apply 476 with a buffer(PC,etc) no matter how thin it looks it's still grinding it in too much,476 needs to be applied by hand, thin,,i've done it both ways many times and a buffer is a no no.

do it by hand thin and you could do the whole can then remove with one arm.

Oh and not necessary to wash after claying.waisting time.
I no longer use Collnite but when I did, I used my pc and had issues at first but then I applied by single panels and wiped off as soon as finished. A spritz of water or detail spray was helpful as well. Maybe the Tech wax under coat is is the issue. I found that for best results 476 must be applied as thin as "angel's breath" and that took practice for me.

I recently started using 476. I found it better to do one panel apply and buff. If you apply to the whole car, it's difficult to remove. But one panel at a time, it's easy by hand.

I'd ditch the 476, you're living in the stone age with that stuff and the effort it took is evidence of that. There are so many other better options out there with the list growing every year (and not I'm not even talking about ceramic coatings). That said I'm sure it turned out nice and it will be good to see pics.

I use Collinite 845 2x / year on two vehicles. Once I run out, I'll look into options that supposedly last longer, but the bottle is 4 years old and has ~ 25% left...

Not sure what caused your problem, I've never had any difficulty removing 476. I wonder if it's because you used Dawn on your paint. That stuff is a big no no, it's way to harsh for today's clear coats. Besides, there's no reason to use it. Any good clay bar, or clay bar mitt will remove anything dawn will without damaging the paint.

There are plenty of sealants that will last longer than 476. ALL wax is highly susceptible to heat and UV.
Really? I'd love to hear what they are. 476 will easily last a year, and I have not found another product that will outlast it, short of having a REAL ceramic professionally applied...

Really? I'd love to hear what they are. 476 will easily last a year, and I have not found another product that will outlast it, short of having a REAL ceramic professionally applied...
Knowing your posts over the years, the closest your car has been to a ceramic coating is if you parked next to someone who had one nor are you likely to have tried a lot of products that could outlast 476. I, for one, have had Powerlock+ last that long and it's not even the latest or greatest in sealants. From there there are too many variables to have a meaningful comparison: is the car garaged, how many miles is it driven, does it usually sit during foul weather, what color is it, etc. I could get F11 Topcoat to last that long with the right circumstances. Fact is, waxes have inherent susceptibility to UV and heat which not even Collinite (who claim 5mo, albeit conservative, durability on their website) can overcome. All that said, if your light colored car is garaged and you get a year out of 476, great.

Knowing your posts over the years, the closest your car has been to a ceramic coating is if you parked next to someone who had one nor are you likely to have tried a lot of products that could outlast 476. I, for one, have had Powerlock+ last that long and it's not even the latest or greatest in sealants. From there there are too many variables to have a meaningful comparison: is the car garaged, how many miles is it driven, does it usually sit during foul weather, what color is it, etc. I could get F11 Topcoat to last that long with the right circumstances. Fact is, waxes have inherent susceptibility to UV and heat which not even Collinite (who claim 5mo, albeit conservative, durability on their website) can overcome. All that said, if your light colored car is garaged and you get a year out of 476, great.
I never claimed to have used ceramics on my vehicles because I haven't. I know how long they last through reading about them. I don't know why you act like I claimed I've used them. I think the REAL ceramics are too expensive, and the spray and wipe ones are more of a gimmick than anything. I don't know which Collinite product you're referring to that claims it lasts 5 months, but the 476 says right on the can that it lasts AT LEAST a full year, and it does. I don't know about the products you listed because I haven't tried them. To be honest, I thought you were going to claim that Nufinish will outlast Collinite, which I know is not true...

been using the #915 on my black vehicles + its GREAT, on + off by hand + a little orbital buff afterwards!! lasts long enough considering ots ease IMO. many can look shiny but the collinite deepens the dark color for a great look, buy a white vehicle or other light color if your not picky about its looks

Fact is, waxes have inherent susceptibility to UV and heat which not even Collinite (who claim 5mo, albeit conservative, durability on their website) can overcome.
Sorry man, kind of hard to take your comments seriously now. The real fact is 476 is and has always been a Sealant. It's synthetic and not a natural product like caranuba wax despite being called a wax on the bottle. It's very resistant to chemicals and does fine in heat like most Sealants. 476 lasts approximately a year which is the same durability any other longest lasting sealant will provide. To suggest Seal and Shine lasts about a year is absurd regardless how great of a product it is.

There are plenty of great products out there. Nobody needs 476. Reality is 476 is just as good as any top sealant though and has been for many decades.

Kind of hard to take your comment seriously, buddy. 476 certainly has additives that give it stronger properties than a wax but it has wax content. Further, when did I say Seal and Shine should be compared to it? I believe I said Power Lock+ is suitable for comparison.

Kind of hard to take your comment seriously, buddy. 476 certainly has additives that give it stronger properties than a wax but it has wax content. Further, when did I say Seal and Shine should be compared to it? I believe I said Power Lock+ is suitable for comparison.

476 is not a traditional wax, it's mostly synthetic which makes it a sealant . You don't have to take any comment seriously, it doesn't change 476 being a sealant is factual and not an opinion. The point of your comment was that 476 does not last long, like many waxes, because of UV and the heat. That suggestion is blatantly false.

Another poster said SnS also lasts longer than 476. While I am mistaken in thinking you wrote that, you still liked it suggesting you agree hence mentioning it.

476 is not a traditional wax, it's mostly synthetic which makes it a sealant . You don't have to take any comment seriously, it doesn't change 476 being a sealant is factual and not an opinion. The point of your comment was that 476 does not last long, like many waxes, because of UV and the heat. That suggestion is blatantly false.

Another poster said SnS also lasts longer than 476. While I am mistaken in thinking you wrote that, you still liked it suggesting you agree hence mentioning it.
It's not blatantly false. First I didn't say 476 doesn't last long (another mischaracterization) but all wax, particularly natural wax, is highly susceptible to UV and heat. Hate to break it to you but there is natural wax in 476. After a relatively short period of time, that carnauba is gone and it's just the synthetic wax components of the 476 left over. It may very well be the most durable paste wax out there but there are things that will give better gloss, with equivalent durability, and are MUCH easier to apply. After what the OP went through, forget sealants, a ceramic coating would've been better for him on all fronts.

Sorry man, kind of hard to take your comments seriously now. The real fact is 476 is and has always been a Sealant. It's synthetic and not a natural product like caranuba wax despite being called a wax on the bottle. It's very resistant to chemicals and does fine in heat like most Sealants. 476 lasts approximately a year which is the same durability any other longest lasting sealant will provide. To suggest Seal and Shine lasts about a year is absurd regardless how great of a product it is.

There are plenty of great products out there. Nobody needs 476. Reality is 476 is just as good as any top sealant though and has been for many decades.
Just curious, how do you determine if 476 (or any other sealant) is still present on the paint?

I ask because clean (uncontaminated) paint can often bead fairly well.

Back