98 Acura Integra GSR VTEC 80,000 miles. Oil Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCB

Hi, I bought a used Acura Integra GSR (VTEC). Car has just under 80,000 miles on it and I have no idea what the previous owner used for oil. I was thinking of running some of the auto rx I read so much about here and then switching to a synthetic. Maybe Royal Purple or Moblie 1. The engine runs great and I would like to keep it that way. Suggestions?

Thanks

OCB

girlfriend's integra has a hair under 160k right now. Seems to like a homemade GC/GTX blend very much.

Before that, I believe it had 76 oil which is what the honda dealer where she got oil changes and stuff done atused according to the windshield reminder stickers. I think 76 is similar to the motorcraft/conoco oils? and the engine runs strong, efficiently, uses no oil, starts first crank in the coldest of winter after sitting for a week on the first cylinder, and is very clean internally.

JMH

I have a 98 GS-R with 106000kms (66250 miles). I have used GC 0W30 and most recently, Esso's (Exxon Mobil) 0W30 XD-3 for winter.

I had a '94 GSR with the V-TEC and it ran Mobil 1 it's whole life with no issues. That was a great little car, and wish I had not sold it at 100k miles, it still looked and ran like new.

quote:

Originally posted by LSVTEC 91 Civic:
I'm a fan of Valvoline SynPower in my LSVTEC. I used to run Mobil 1, until seals went bad and oil consumption went up. Our VTEC engines are notorious for burning Mobil 1, I don't burn with SynPower

I don't like Redline's products, I haven't tried their oil, and I'm not going to. I filled my transmisson with Redline MTF, and it was horrible. Grinds were worse than they were with 10w30 in it. I went to GM Synchromesh and grinds went away. Redlline has a rediculous price tag for what it is too. The only thing I'll buy in town is Valvoline SynPower, I might order some Amsoil or RP in the future, but we'll see.

Really, in my 02 civic gearbox, it shifts like a dream compared to the stock honda mtf fill.

I'm a fan of Valvoline SynPower in my LSVTEC. I used to run Mobil 1, until seals went bad and oil consumption went up. Our VTEC engines are notorious for burning Mobil 1, I don't burn with SynPower

I don't like Redline's products, I haven't tried their oil, and I'm not going to. I filled my transmisson with Redline MTF, and it was horrible. Grinds were worse than they were with 10w30 in it. I went to GM Synchromesh and grinds went away. Redlline has a rediculous price tag for what it is too. The only thing I'll buy in town is Valvoline SynPower, I might order some Amsoil or RP in the future, but we'll see.

Thanks for the messages. I didn;t even think of the gear box. I have a 5 speed. SO what should I be putting in there?

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by OCB:
Thanks for the messages. I didn;t even think of the gear box. I have a 5 speed. SO what should I be putting in there?

Thanks

Genuine Honda MTL, IMHO.

More info:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000664
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back