97 GP Havoline 10W30 5100 miles on oil, 300,016 on car

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

quote:GC is usually $5-6, Havoline is usually less then $2

GC is usually $5 a qt and very often goes on sale as it is right now at $4.

Havoline is on sale too, and Chevron is available almost every other week for $.49.

-T

quote:

Sorry, I don't get it.
Who is questioning your oil changing practices? [Confused]

You come into an otherwise civil thread, telling him that he is wrong in using Havonline, and would be money ahead if he used GC, and that Havoline can't play with the big boys.

I think that you could go farther on this oil. These engines are very easy on oil, and the gas tank at highway speeds. I loved getting 32 mpg and having 250 ft lbs of torque at 2500 RPMS.
P.S. Can I suggest that you look into a U-bend delete. It will net you about 5 hp to the wheels, dyno proven, and will boost your mileage a bit too.

Well fellas, this is my daily driver and I already get 25 mpg, have enough HP to get me in trouble with the law, don't feel the need to spend more money than necessary and am comfortable with things just the way they are. It's not broken and I don't think I need to fix it until it does and what I am already doing is not harming it any. I don't try to mix and match and 5000 mile ocis have worked for me so I'm happy with things just the way they are.
For those who like other oils and make their own home brews, that is their choice and I have no problem with that. How many average people put over 300,000 on their vechicles? Not many would be my guess. I'm not interested in saving a few dollars a year extending my drain intervals because I'm like it just like it is. I'm an old **** and very resistant to change.

And vad, you may not have been talking directly to me but you have referenced me or my situation several times.

quote:

You come into an otherwise civil thread, telling him that he is wrong in using Havonline, and would be money ahead if he used GC, and that Havoline can't play with the big boys.

I never spoke to him directly, never told him what to do.
Afterall, it's a matter of an opinion. This is what the forums are for, rigth?
If he is so touchy-feely and can't handle another persons perspective then I'm sorry, if it makes him feel better.

Posted by vad:

quote:

Man, the GC cult is a child's play in comparison to what some Havoline guys have become

Oh really?

I haven't seen the Havoline guys sniffing oil bottles or taking the caps off to see if the Green elixir from Germany is inside,
do the Havoline users drive endless hours searching for maybe two bottles of the stuff stashed behind 10 bottles of the American made Syntec,
nor do I see anyone writing poems about their Havoline either
lol.gif

VAD: you are so BRAINWASHED in thinking GREEN CASTROL is the best engine lube, that you cannot accept that plain old HAVOLINE can return these kind of results. Its to late for you but others can clearly see what an incredible engine lubricant HAVOLINE is. Its funny how something can get hyped and get a following,remember SLICK50, DURALUBE, PROLONG, all junk , but for a time they had a following too.Also i think if people would stop all this driving around looking for Green Casjunk gas prices would go way down.

Gee, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Drums, apparently you can't see that you're just as brainwashed to the anti-syn-no-matter-what school as you think vad is in favor of the syn perspective. IMO the reality is that there are scenarios in which synthetics provide a meaningful benefit, and others in which there's no reason to use anything but dino. I really don't see any less "fundamentalist fervor" in your stated opinions than there is in the posts of some of those you enjoy stabbing at from time to time.
rolleyes.gif
cheers.gif

People seem to be stuck on Havoline lately. Is it really posting any better UOA's than any other dino?

As long as there is no fuel dilution, coolant leak, intake air leak, PCV valve problem, doesnt EVERY oil tend to post a good UOA.

How about a UOA WITH fuel dilution, and a coolant leak, and still good? Yep Havoline/Chevron can do that. I suggest you look at some UOAs.

That would be impossible to come up with. So would a 13K mile run in a 20K mile chevy pickup that the owner admits beating on, with the recommendation to go further.

quote:

VAD: you are so BRAINWASHED in thinking GREEN CASTROL is the best engine lube, that you cannot accept that plain old HAVOLINE can return these kind of results. Its to late for you but others can clearly see what an incredible engine lubricant HAVOLINE is.

Thanks for posting, drums.
rolleyes.gif

For cripes sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S JUST OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've come to the conclusion that all this bickering and bosting has nothing to do with oil. It's about some crazy oil fantasy world that we make up by looking at oil analysis to give us a false sense of security about what I have no clue (life going down the crapper....oh well, my oil brand x sure is SUPER so life is good). The differences we see in ppm of wear between certain brands are definetally there to a small degree, but in many cases one analysis to another with the same brand would likely produce the same results. Oh, my Trop Artic is the BESTest oil period
tongue.gif

I didn't see a reply to this so I'm askin again..

What about the transmission? Is it original? What fluid do you use in it?

04SpecV,
The transmission is original and the fluid has been changed once at a transmission shop at about 200,000 miles. I just use the regular Dexron in it when I need a little from time to time. I can tell no difference in it from when it was new.

quote:

The transmission is original and the fluid has been changed once at a transmission shop at about 200,000 miles. I just use the regular Dexron in it when I need a little from time to time. I can tell no difference in it from when it was new.

Wow thats impressive
smile.gif
Goes against most peoples thoughts. Thinking that only buying special usually overhyped products will make their cars last. Most people rarely keep their that long anyways.
Sure your miles are mostly highway, but how many other people have 300,000 on their cars. Regardless of highway miles or not?

quote:

Thinking that only buying special usually overhyped products will make their cars last.

Let see...
How about conducting a virtual experiment?
Let's imagine that we have in posession two identical cheapo $10K cars, like the Hyundai Accents for example.
Then we'll make one of them go over 40K per year, freeway miles only.
The other one we'll keep in the city, drive it mostly in the stop-n-go traffic and let it accumulate 5K miles per year.
Let's keep the oil change intervals the same, every 5K.
Now let's allow those cars operate under the described conditions for like 8 years and then compare their mechanical state.
Chances are that the freeway car with over 300K miles on the clock by now would still be in a pretty sound condition, while the car that has been driven strictly on the city streets would show many signs of mechanical wear and tear as related to drivetrain, suspension, and even body integrity with only 40K on the odometer.

BTW, I've had a chance to closely observe several cars that were driven as long haul delivery vehicles and were accumulating around 70K-80K per year. That's where I'm drawing my conclusions from.

quote:

Let see...
How about conducting a virtual experiment?
Let's imagine that we have in posession two identical cheapo $10K cars, like the Hyundai Accents for example.
Then we'll make one of them go over 40K per year, freeway miles only.
The other one we'll keep in the city, drive it mostly in the stop-n-go traffic and let it accumulate 5K miles per year.
Let's keep the oil change intervals the same, every 5K.
Now let's allow those cars operate under the described conditions for like 8 years and then compare their mechanical state.
Chances are that the freeway car with over 300K miles on the clock by now would still be in a pretty sound condition, while the car that has been driven strictly on the city streets would show many signs of mechanical wear and tear as related to drivetrain, suspension, and even body integrity with only 40K on the odometer.

BTW, I've had a chance to closely observe several cars that were driven as long haul delivery vehicles and were accumulating around 70K-80K per year. That's where I'm drawing my conclusions from.

I'm not sure what a Hyundai Accent has to do with a Pontiac GP. Why didn't you quote "how many other people have 300,000 on their cars" (not fleet vehicles)
Maybe you should make a new thread about whatever it is you've been trying to get across?

I wasn't referring specifically to any particular model.
I took the Accent just an example of a cheapo car without any high value/reliability pretentions.
I was trying to show that the operational conditions can play a critical role that determine the cars ability to accumulate an extremely high number of miles without experiencing major mechanical failures.
80K miles per year is a unique condition, highly favorable to the drivetrain and the rest of the car.
The number of miles on the odometer is an abstract figure that doesn't represent the cars mechanical state or its manufacturing quality.
I keep seeing words like outstanding, impressive etc.
Those terms shouldn't be applicable to this car.
I would reserve those terms to cases where oil and the vehicle were subjects to harsh, difficult on oil and the car conditions like:

1.Extreme cold start-ups.
2.Extremely short trips.
3.Prolonged idling.
4.Stop-n-go traffic.
5.Towing.
6.Long high-speed passes accross a dessert in a loaded vehicle in the summer hit.
7.Dusty conditions.

If you still don't get my point, then I'm sorry.
I can't make myself any clearer than that.

[ December 03, 2005, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: vad ]

"Maybe you should make a new thread about whatever it is you've been trying to get across?"

I agree, keep this out of this forum. This thread is meant for discussing UOAs. Now your way off-topic.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back