90 year old leaking sewer pipe - replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
If the rest of the sewer pipe is that old it might not be a bad idea to run a new lateral.

Cut out a section and camera it, its probably old clay outside and full of roots.

Pipe has a lifespan, especially old cast iron drains and vents which are all approaching 100 years old. They get pinholes and you will see little rust spots all up and down them.

It may be, but I'll cross that road when we get there. If we have to do an excavation project, I'll wait until I have a need to dig up the front yard. The pipe was solid, the metal shiny, and the bottom was thick. Looking into it, there was very little scale in it, certainly not the kind like I've seen elsewhere, where a good portion of the diameter is filled in.

The full horizontal run but the couple feet going to the underground run was replaced. I didn't do the verticals because that too would require demolition in the walls, and I just don't have a need, they looked fine, none of the same telltale issues seen in the horizontal pipe either. When the time comes that the opportunity exists, rest assured the verticals, as well as the copper water service will be replaced.

I have zero complaints on the drains in the home, so even if roots are present, they aren't causing an issue currently, knock on wood.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Any concerns that the construction dust might have contained asbestos? It was a common additive to many materials back in the day.

Nice job!

I suppose the concrete could have had some asbestos, but there was no indication of it based upon the pieces, dust, and way it crumbled.

Originally Posted By: expat
I'm wondering, if you were to do the job again, would you still rent the chain cutter?

Strangely, the CI pipe you left does not look too bad. But as I said before, if I was buying your house, I would be very suspicious of the condition of the remaining CI pipe where it goes through the wall.

And a perspective buyer would be free to have an inspector look and then push for concessions. I would tie them into consideration and may or may not agree.

Would I rent the cutter? Probably yes. Why? Because getting a true and straight cut on any pipe that is out in space can be really tough. By using the cutter as I did, rolling it around as one would a tubing cutter, creating a divot, gave me a nice straight and started line to finish the cut with. It assured a very straight and true cut. If my hacksaw/sawzall skills were better, maybe it would be different, but since I have a tough time getting a straight cut, I wouldn't want to chance it. Makes my risk lower, which is worth the $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back