Cleaning Chemicals for Under Sink Pipes

The way that plumber guy at Lowe's talks, he doesn't rinse cat food cans in the sink. He wipes them and dishes off with a paper towel to avoid rinsing food fluids down the drain, and throws away the paper towels. This sounds like a good way to get a foul smelling trash can.

How about wiping them with TP and flushing the TP down the toilet?

That would work.
Would paper towels be a bad idea to flush down the toilet?

Paper towel is thicker than toilet paper and isn't designed to break up when it gets wet. So it could cause a clog. On the other hand, when I was younger and didn't know any better, I had flushed paper towel down the toilet and nothing bad happened...

Ya know what else I could do rather than wipe cat food cans and greasy dishes with TP is wash them in hot soapy water when I do dishes 1x or 2x a day. I can fill up a tub inside the sink with some dish soap and hot water like my mom used to do. Anything you wash with hot soapy water will not clog your drain because the dish soap emulsifies grease and oils and makes it water soluble.

I ran about 1/3 a bottle of dish detergent mixed with water last night, down the kitchen drain and let it sit all night and this AM I flushed it with hot water. Then I filled a pail of cold water and poured it into the sink so I could see how fast the water flows down the drain. The water flows great, and I'm willing to bet I'll never have to have anyone come here to unclog that drain pipe. The changes I made in the pipes under there really improved the water flow. But I'll still be more careful and won't send anything down there, unless it's mixed with hot soapy water.
That pipe should pretty much keep itself clean as long as it's set up right.

Back