8th Gen Accord A/T reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted a few times on here discussing different modern vehicle options for my wife. We will be turning in our 2014 Civic next year. The Civic has been great from a reliability standpoint only needing brakes, oil changes and filters -- but a 2014 should not need anything this soon.

While considering many different vehicles (primarily SUVs) we have circled back to strongly considering purchasing another 8th generation Honda Accord. They are very affordable vehicles. A 100k 2012 can be had for 8-10k. I have no reservations against the engine/body/suspension on these cars but am curious on the thoughts from those of you with the automatic variants. This is the 5-speed automatic we're talking about.

I am thinking '11-12 4cyl SE, EX or EX-L. Really would prefer having lumbar. For the record, I didn't completely hate my LX seats in my 2009.

I seriously love these cars and know them inside and out besides the A/Ts. Would put a smile on my face seeing another 8th gen doing DD stuff in the household.

Do you still own the 09 Accord since I remember you trying to sell it? The 8th gen 4cyl auto should be very reliable. Should still have a dipstick so you pull it and look at the color. Hopefully it's been changed a few times by now but many on the road are still on the original atf. Even ones that see the dealer service dept. often.

The automatic transmissions are fine as long as you don't get the V6
smile.gif

Also, the 9th gen 2013+ Accord is good, too. It is smaller than the 8th gen, and uses an indirect TPMS (so you don't have to worry about the short lifespan of those TPMS sensors and don't have to spend a fortune to replace them every few years). There is nothing wrong with the CVT in them, either. I've driven one with well over 200k and it had no problems.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Take a look at this site.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/

I don't think you would have any problems with the auto in an 8th gen Accord. Especially the 4 cylinder. If you bought one with 100k miles I would do a couple drain/fills of the ATF and then do one every 25-30k from there on.

Perfect, pretty much what I was thinking.

As slacktite mentioned, the 2013 up cars are wonderful. There should be a bunch of lease returns or a plethora on Craigslist.
I leased a 13, 16 and bought a 17.
The Sport is a really great package; basically a better LX.
The 2017 Sport SE has leather seats. Mine was great.
I sold it and had to get a Lexus GS350 F Sport to do much better. Ha!
When I sold it, EVERYBODY wanted it. A dealer outbid everyone and came to my house with a bank check.
Paid $22,300 or about $25K out the door. Sold it a year and a half later for $20K. Had 17K miles I think.

Last edited:
TSX is a great car. Wifey uses our 2006 TSX for commuting. Great car. You can find a nice 2004 to 2007 1st gen for $4K to $7K.
This car is the European Accord. Mighty K24 engine.

Just test drove a 2018 Honda Accord Touring 2.0 (fully loaded). WOW! Rides really nice. Has great torque and speed. Touring comes with a 10 speed transmission. No transmission dipstick. There are metal skid plates under the vehicle. I ask the salesman about LSPI and he was unaware of it. He knew nothing about fuel dilution either.

I asked him why Honda was better than Toyota. He told me that Honda is 2,000 cheaper and that Honda does not rent vehicles at Avis, Budget etc. Salesman told me upper middle class purchases Accord and that they sell themselves.

Not sure what to think of his comments? But, the Accord was very nice. The heads-up display in the windshield impressed me. Lots of trunk room and the rear seats fold down.

I was really impressed with the Accord. There were no 2019 on the lot.

From what I've heard, the 5 speed A/T's are pretty reliable. Regular D&F's will keep them purring along.

I dropped 3 qts, that's all that comes out every 20k instead of waiting till 60k and dropping 3qts adding back and driving a little and repeating two more times.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

When they moved to the 4 shaft transmissions in 2006 the V6 became pretty much as reliable as the I4 transmissions.

Eh, 96K on our '12 with no hint of any tranny problems.
I think that much of what's posted on Honda automatic transaxle problems here and elsewhere is the result of the somewhat troublesome ones used in the Gen 6 cars. Even those really weren't all bad as the number of these cars still running around every day illustrates, the newest of which is now sixteen years old.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Also, the 9th gen 2013+ Accord is good, too. It is smaller than the 8th gen, and uses an indirect TPMS (so you don't have to worry about the short lifespan of those TPMS sensors and don't have to spend a fortune to replace them every few years). There is nothing wrong with the CVT in them, either. I've driven one with well over 200k and it had no problems.

Nothing at all wrong with the V6 Accords auto tranny. Mine has 100,000 miles and is as good as the day I bought it new and I'm a lead foot. The entire care is [censored] solid! I have a VCM muzzler on it and have never had a single warranty claim or problem with the car in 7 years.

I know someone who didn't have to have the AT rebuilt in her 2002 Odyssey till almost 300,000 miles. And it never fully went out,it just barely started to slip and shift rough. My opinion is that the fluid was never changed as it was low and was the color of tar it was so dark. I bet with proper maintanence the original AT would still be going strong.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I know someone who didn't have to have the AT rebuilt in her 2002 Odyssey till almost 300,000 miles. And it never fully went out,it just barely started to slip and shift rough. My opinion is that the fluid was never changed as it was low and was the color of tar it was so dark. I bet with proper maintanence the original AT would still be going strong.

Off topic, but I'm about to inherit a 2002 Odyssey this weekend. I hope the transmission in ours will last until 300k. I thought they were all doomed to fail before 150k.

Quick side bar if any of you with these cars can comment on.

Bluetooth equipped models (I believe EX-L and up), can you stream audio/music via bluetooth or only make calls?

Originally Posted by redhat
Quick side bar if any of you with these cars can comment on.

Bluetooth equipped models (I believe EX-L and up), can you stream audio/music via bluetooth or only make calls?

I'm not sure. Mine has blue tooth and I've never tried messing with it.

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Off topic, but I'm about to inherit a 2002 Odyssey this weekend. I hope the transmission in ours will last until 300k. I thought they were all doomed to fail before 150k.

Imo the problem is there's so many Hondas on the roads and people seem to really abuse them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back