6000+ miles on Havoline 5W30 and counting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Vortec

Have you by any chance kept track of your fuel usage? The reason I'm asking is that another member is testing out TooSlick's OCI formula vs. the OLM on his vehicle. He allegedly keeps pretty good fuel consumption records. Now I don't necessarily assume that you keep fuel records (you may) ..but if you've got a fairly stable mpg ..then it should add another rough data point in seeing how TS's formula works out.

That's a good thought, Gary, and truth-be-told I haven't been following my fuel mileage that closely since I established that I was getting 22-24 mpg shortly after buying the truck new.

Here's why I stopped - it is rare that I have a full tank of gas, since my credit card gets pre-authorized for $75 and then the pump shuts off. When I see $75 in the dollars section of the pump, and only slightly more than 23 gallons in the volume section of the pump, I get sick to my stomach. My total tank volume is 35 gallons. I get in the truck, continue driving to work at just slightly over the speed limit (and I do mean "slightly") and pray that I can stretch out the amount of time until the next $75 hit to my wallet just a little longer.

They probably didn't reset the OLM.

It doesn't actually measure the condition of the oil directly. It works by calculation of vehicle sensor data.

Yeah, don't worry about the OLM on rental cars. A shop I work part-time at has a contract with a certain rental company. They are very good about getting the cars in to change the oil. Often, they will have it changed early if they know a customer is going to put a lot of miles on the car. Anyhow, a lot of times, the techs will not think to reset the OLM if it isn't on prior to service. So, long story short, don't worry about it.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't THAT worried since it's not my car and I had it for just a week. I thought maybe the OLM had some kind of direct measurement to assess the oil's real-time condition, but I guess not.

How does the GM OLM work, i.e. what does it measure?

Reason I ask is that I had a rental car last week with 25k total miles and the OLM said 0% oil life remaining when you started it up! The rental agency said 'don't worry about that warning, we just changed the oil'. I'm not so sure they did.

quote:

Originally posted by KieferS:
I don't even plan on keeping this car for long- i could probably just shove some M1 extended preformance for the next two years, and change the oil before i sell it- im sure the engine won't look bad at all after the change. my mom on her 89 camry drove 150k with out a single oil change, all she did was buy oil as it was burned off- and this is on old group I or what ever oil-not the fancy 'SM' we have today. Not even a single airfilter was changed, the only thing i can ever remember her having changed is the spark plug- which we were told was stuck in the cylinder and that it may break if it were to be taken out. She bought me the wrench she saw the mechanic using at 11 years old, and told me to get the spark plug out when we got back home. I took it out in one piece. The car ran fine when we sold it.at around 190k. Now i have a car 17 years newer, and im changing the oil every 3k- it seems rediculous now that i think of it- but its just this part of me- it bugs me- i can't even drive my car, i seem like im letting her down for all the service she has given me. So for my peace of mind- i just change it at 3kvor every 6 months.

Kiefer:

Really, I understand where you're coming from. That said, your program is just not fact based. First, ask yourself where the 3/3 came from in the first place. Good guidance, perhaps, decades ago. Do you really think that in those decades, despite all the advances we've seen in all the other systems of our cars, that only the lube system and oil has remained stuck somewhere in the 1950s?

Now, if thinking that over isn't enough, please head over to our UOA section. There you will find page after page after page of data that shows that the old 3/3 plan is simply not needed and a waste of time, money, and resources. Look at wear metals, fluid condition, particle counts, TBN, and so forth, and you will see that modern healthy cars simply don't do to oil what carbureted engines, using poor quality leaded gas, with primative CCV systems, did to the early multi-grade oils of a generation ago.

I've followed your thread about the opposite extreme with some interest. I'm pretty well sure that you guys don't have money to burn (who does!). If nothing else, you could kick it out to 5/6 or 6/6 and pretty much cut your OC costs in half.

This is a great site, glad you found it. Now young man, learn from it. I'm 45 and have learned much in 2.5 years. Wish we'd had such things when I was your age!

I am at 5500 miles on 5w30 SM havoline in a chevy 5.3L with no additives and no makeup oil. i am waiting for the OLM too. i went 5147 miles last time and had a TBN of 2.0 (blackstone-no adds/no makeup). The OLM went off shortly after that but that was when I downshifted to aid braking. I have not done that this interval so it makes sense it will go longer.

Vortec-4300, is your Chevy a 5 speed? That's outstanding gas mileage for a fullsize truck. My 2001 Dodge 3.9 only averages 18-19 with the 5 speed. Best ever is around 21. FWIW I plan to try the oil life monitor in my new Cobalt after it breaks in and do a UOA.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Vortec-4300, is your Chevy a 5 speed?

Yep.

My truck was the first year that Chevy put some real fuel saving items on the standard options list - dual electric fans, slightly taller gearing, completely smooth front fascia, roller cam.

I've added a smooth fiberglass tonneau cover, which I'm told helps with mileage (as well as traction on snow-covered roads.)

I'm pleased with the mileage.

OLM just piped up and announced that it was time for an oil change.

Total amount of mileage on this oil as of my commute to work this morning: 9,192 miles on good 'ole Havoline 5W30 (with 3 oz. of Auto-RX when the oil was lat changed.)

I'll change the oil tomorrow (I should put about another 150 miles on it before then) and send it off to Blackstone for analysis.

I have been watching this post. I look forward to your UOA. I just can't seem to leave oil in the crankcase for more than 5K. It is a mental block I supppose.

I am keeping Havoline 5w20 in my Honda until the OLM tells me to change. The first time I changed oil the OLM was at 15% oil life expectancy (about 6000 miles). This time it may looks to go a bit further before the OLM reaches 15%. If your UOA comes back in good shape at over 9,000 miles, my worries are over and I won't need to go with synthetic like I was thinking of doing (I also use LC20/FP60).

Changed the oil today - 9,361 miles (230 engine hours) on this OCI, with a single 3 oz. maintenance dose of Auto-RX back at the start of the interval in April.

40,139 total miles (1,152 engine hours) on the engine.

I was too late getting to the post office to send the sample to Blackstone/Terry Dyson, so I'll mail it out on Monday.

Just changed my son's 2000 GrandAm with 6,600 miles on it with a mix of Motorcraft and a quart of RedLine. It usually goes off at between 6K and 7K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back