5W20 or ? Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Does anyone have repair manuals for these
late model Fords and Hondas? If so, can you run
the engine clearances through Lascheee equations
to see what the optimal viscosities really are?

Like many others, I strongly suspect that the
only reason that xW-20 oils are
recommended is so that manufacturers can meet
CAFE standards.

If some of what I posted sounds strangely
familiar, earlier I was gleaning gems from
one of MolaKule's posts like Bart Simpson
greedily transcribing romantic words of
Freedomie.

grin.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

[ April 13, 2003, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: J ]

He's already said that his manual calls for 5w-20. I suspect that the manual for the same engine two years ago called for 5w-30.

Spleck, use Mobil1 5w-30 and a filter that flows well. See the Bob's oil filter study post in the Oil Filters forum. Change both at 3000, if that makes you feel better, or go to 4000 or 5000. Try an oil analysis. It will change your life.

Spleck,

I used to do reserve duty at Warner Robins AFB ...that's a very hot climate. If you want an off the shelf synthetic, I'd run Mobil , 5-30 in there year round. I have been an Amsoil dealer for twenty years, but Mobil 1 is a very good synthetic oil for the price. I just finished doing some comparative oil analysis testing of 5w-20 and 5w-30 Amsoil synthetics in my toyota, over here in Huntsville, Alabama. I saw much higher bearing wear with the 5w-20.

Honda has speced 5w-20 to save 1%-2% on fuel, but other than that I see no advantages to using it.

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I used to do reserve duty at Warner Robins AFB

That's where I work!

I too believe that Honda is pushing the 5W20 for the extra mileage, but I don't believe the engineers were completely out of the loop. This winter has been pretty mild, so I feel okay with 20, but considering Mobil 1 is such a light 30 I'm leaning towards it.

I WILL be doing OA on my oil. I'll probably do one on the Castrol in there now, and then on the next few changes using synthetic.

So how should I handle the changeover from dino to synthetic? I'll probably just do a 3k on the first change, then move up to 5k if the analysis looks good each time. I'm assuming that there won't be a problem if I decide to use Redline one change instead of Mobil 1? I'm going to see about getting some Schaeffer and Amsoil to run through once. Plus we've got a 91 Celica 1.6L that would like something better.

quote:

Originally posted by J:
Hi,

Does anyone have repair manuals for these
late model Fords and Hondas? If so, can you run
the engine clearances through Lascheee equations
to see what the optimal viscosities really are?

Like many others, I strongly suspect that the
only reason that xW-20 oils are
recommended is so that manufacturers can meet
CAFE standards.

If some of what I posted sounds strangely
familiar, earlier I was gleaning gems from
one of MolaKule's posts like Bart Simpson
greedily transcribing romantic words of
Freedomie.

grin.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

I have a 2002 shop manual for my Civic SiR, I also had a shop manual for a 1999 Civic SiR, and I have a shop manual for a 1992 Accord. I don't know how to work oil formulas, but I can tell you the clearance specs are 99% identical for all years.

Joey

First post here, great site..

About the Honda filters, the last one I bought from Honda said right on the side that it was manufactured by Fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back