5w20 in a 5w30 specd car

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know 5w30 shears quickly anyway so is it ok to run 5w20 in a 5w30 specd car? I have 5w20 pyb I bought 5 qaurt jugs for 5 bucks a piece.

What car? Toyota specs 5W20/0W20 in all of their engines going back to 1995.

I am running NAPA 0W20 in my 02 chevy silverado 5.3l v8 with no issues so far.

I would only consider doing it in cold weather and if I did not plan on high rpms. Why not exchange the 5w20 for 5w30?

old saturn - thin might burn off quicker, but other than that, no problem.

The shearing of 5w30s has basically gone away, also. Some engines may still shear it, but not as wide spread as it was. I used to prefer 10w30 for this reason, but now-a-days it doesn't matter really.

If you picked up any of the clearance ML 10w40, that'd be perfect to thicken it up with.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I have extra 5w20 on hand its an old saturn sl with the dohc

Would not advise the use of 5w-20 in a Saturn SL in Arkansas in summer, especially if it burns oil---as most old Saturns do. I run 5w30 in my 2000 SL1, which does not use much oil by Saturn SL standards.

Maybe see if you trade in the bottles of 5-20 for 5- or 10-30?

Not to say it's _always_ a bad idea. I did run 5-20 in my old Chevy Classic, with the 2.2 Ecotec, that was specced for 5-30. But not in a Saturn.

Ram man, that is great! My poor '93 uses a quart every 1.5k. Not so bad for a 20 year old Saturn but still, with 215k on your Satty that is awesome.

It has been an awesome car needing nothing major and it has lived through my wife who has drive it off the road bumped things ect it's surprisingly still looks good too.

Ram man, please if you would, post a picture of your Saturn in my thread

Post a picture of your Saturn

Thank you
smile.gif

In modern oils, the lower the first number, the winter rating, the better. Most people that have issues with that statement will be referencing shear stability. With older formulations, the lower winter ratings would shear over time/use and that would result in lower overall viscosity and potentially some other issues related to sludge. Although shear stability is a real issue, it becomes less significant with each new generation of viscosity index improvers.

The SAE viscosity grade, the second number, references the viscosity at operating temps. The optimum viscosity for a given application is affected by many things - bearing width and diameter, expected load and RPM, crank flex, temperature peaks, ect. Generally, the BITOG recommendations will suggest that you follow the manufacturer recommendation for this second number. Since engines and expeced use are different, there will be different manufacturer recommendations for this second number.

After you have mastered the kinematic viscosity (KV) issues, the story will change to high temperature high shear viscosity (HTHSV). It is measured at temps above normal engine coolant temps, but it better reflects conditions at lubricated surfaces - bearings, rings, etc. Until the KV story is second nature, I recommend that put the HTHSV on the back burner. However, if you stay here a few months, you will master the HTHSV issues too.

If you want to drive your car without obsessing over oil pressure and temperature because you're running a thinner oil than specified, just put in the 5w30.

My Altima calls for 5-30 but I thought I'd add a quart or two of the stash of 5-20 PU I have on hand. Maybe for winter I'll go all 5-20. Its got 110K and doesn't use any any of the M1 its always had.

Just couldn't pass up the close outs of PU!

Originally Posted By: GMorg

After you have mastered the kinematic viscosity (KV) issues, the story will change to high temperature high shear viscosity (HTHSV). It is measured at temps above normal engine coolant temps, but it better reflects conditions at lubricated surfaces - bearings, rings, etc. Until the KV story is second nature, I recommend that put the HTHSV on the back burner. However, if you stay here a few months, you will master the HTHSV issues too.

what do you mean when you say that you can overlook hthsv? For example, the Mercedes recommends an oil that is not below 3.5 hthsv, you mean that I can put an oil with 3.0 hthsv and not causing any damage?

He's basically trying to keep things simple for you and other infrequent visitors until a basic foundation about oils is established.

A 5W-20 oil in the colder winter temps CAN have a similar viscosity as a 5W-30 in the summer.

Oil temperature is the key to viscosity and HT/HS. Driving habits and type of application also make a difference, but the underlying principles are the same.

Originally Posted By: Giorgiz
Originally Posted By: GMorg

what do you mean when you say that you can overlook hthsv? For example, the Mercedes recommends an oil that is not below 3.5 hthsv, you mean that I can put an oil with 3.0 hthsv and not causing any damage?

Absolutely not. He's saying not to worry about the complexities of oil selection, like HTHSV, for the time being. The number one rule to oil selection is following the manual. Manufacturers spend millions of dollars figuring out which oil should be used and what characteristics an oil should have. In your situation, you should find an oil that meets the minimum requirements set by Mercedes. Once you are more knowledgeable on the subject you can start experimenting with which oils that meet the specifications best suit your wants.

Saturn SL have a reputation of using oil at fairly high mileage. For that reason people are trying high mileage oils and even 15W40 in this car.

That said, 5W20 will not hurt your engine as long as you keep a close eye on the oil level and don't let it get low. Not long ago typical 5W30 oils sheared down to 5W20 anyway. It is only recent SM and SN formulations that don't seem to shear as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back