5w-20 instead 0w-20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,i have been using Shell 10w-30 oil in my vehicle for a long time, this oil is semi-synthetic so I want to replace it with a fully synthetic one. I want to use 0w-20 oil for fuel economy but the manufacturer recommends min. 5w-20 oil. Can I use 0w-20 oil on my car ? My car is Hyundai Accent Blue,1.4 D-CVVT nat.asp. engine,60.000 km.The country i live in is max. 35 degrees in summer, min. 0 degrees in winter.

Hello I have a similar Hyundai with a similar engine. In America 5w20 is recommended by Hyundai, however, many Hyundai service centers and owners use 5w30 to avoid potential engine problems in the future which unfortunately these engines have a reputation for developing if lighter oil is used.

What is most important if you would like to see an increase in fuel economy is to make sure that your fuel system and fuel injectors in particular stay clean. Not doing this will rob your engine of power and fuel economy more than anything else.

5w- 20 is a better oil . You will never see the difference with the 0w part.

Hello guys,i have been using Shell 10w-30 oil in my vehicle for a long time, this oil is semi-synthetic so I want to replace it with a fully synthetic one. I want to use 0w-20 oil for fuel economy but the manufacturer recommends min. 5w-20 oil. Can I use 0w-20 oil on my car ? My car is Hyundai Accent Blue,1.4 D-CVVT nat.asp. engine,60.000 km.The country i live in is max. 35 degrees in summer, min. 0 degrees in winter.

You are in Turkey so I believe the temps you state are celsius, so 35C is 95 F and 0C is 32 F. At those temps I would just stick with whatever the Owner manual recommendations as the difference between 0W20 and 5W20 would be minimal at best. 32F is not cold.

That's a relatively broad statement. M1 EP 0w-20 is a "better" oil than most 5w-20 flavours if we are going by base oil blend. But PAO has no real advantage to the OP since his climate doesn't appear to get cold enough for it to matter.

That's a relatively broad statement. M1 EP 0w-20 is a "better" oil than most 5w-20 flavours if we are going by base oil blend. But PAO has no real advantage to the OP since his climate doesn't appear to get cold enough for it to matter.
It is a broad statement but then so is better mpg from 0W vs a 5W-20 in real life applications. PAO content doesn't make an oil better or worse. especially when looking at wear. The Company I used to work for used pallets upon pallets of Chevron oil and speking to a Chevron oil rep he said there ar other base stocks that show much better valve train protection that PAO base stocks ,that is why most oils are blended so as to provide the best product and the highest profit for the company and a vale to the customer.

In my experience using both oil viscosities in a Subaru port injected engine and a Hyundai GDI engine, 0w20 has been a better performing oil year round. My Subaru's engine developed a very rough idle when I experimented using 5w20 and it went away when I went back to using 0w20.

Please allow me to reiterate that my statements are based on personal experience :)

The OP description of temperature are in Celsius not Fahrenheit.
So 35C is around 95F.

It is not that cold and I imagined the 0C or 32F is very short.

So, any good 5W-20 or 5W-30 or 10W-30 should be good to go.
The brand is different there so we cannot recommend those in the US.

It is a broad statement but then so is better mpg from 0W vs a 5W-20 in real life applications. PAO content doesn't make an oil better or worse. especially when looking at wear. The Company I used to work for used pallets upon pallets of Chevron oil and speking to a Chevron oil rep he said there ar other base stocks that show much better valve train protection that PAO base stocks ,that is why most oils are blended so as to provide the best product and the highest profit for the company and a vale to the customer.

PAO's advantage isn't anti-wear performance, it's tolerance of extreme heat and the ability to flow at extremely cold temperatures. Group III has nary identical AW performance as PAO, but PAO bests it in both of those metrics. AW performance is dominated by the additive package, which is why using a reputable blender is important and why OEM certifications and approvals have so much value. PAO content can be necessary for a better product, which is why you'll find it, broadly, in extended drain oils and those designed for extreme applications. But that has zero applicability to your average user unless that are perhaps located in Winnipeg or Anchorage. Note that I'm taking the effort to call out qualifiers and caveats here...

Swapping one unsubstantiated claim for another doesn't help the case you are trying to make. As is typical with these discussions, broad-brush statements are typically incorrect because they make generalizations that are bucked by numerous exceptions, I've cited but one, there are plenty more.

Clearly, there is a minuscule gain in fuel economy by going down a Winter rating or OEM's wouldn't be pushing that route for CAFE. I expect it is well beyond immeasurable for Joe Average. More nuance to digest.

Last edited:
Understood. The IP address is in Turkey, so I take the OP, and his question, at face value until given reason to treat him otherwise.

Since we can’t stay on topic, and have chosen to comment on other members instead of answering the question, it’s now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back