5W-20 in 5W-30 applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Are we still attempting to PROVE that 5w-20 wears out engines? Sure, if you're someone who flogs the things to the nth degree.

Gary is that a nice way of saying taking a machine out with the intention of destroying it? Most of us can wreck an engine in very short order with any oil, 0W20 up to the thickest of 50 grade oils. Fixing a test to get desired results is very easy.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
Quote:
Because in teardowns the engines were extraordiarily worn and every UOA said they were fine!

In 15k miles? With absolutely normal UOA and no other indicators?

Define extraordinarily worn. What parts. What wear patterns. Explain how/why that mode of death was not picked up in UOA. What engine? Any others like it? Class action suits? What user actions had any affect on this extraordinary wear? Explain for each engine. Explain why/how your experience negates all UOAs. Explain how UOAs with 400% difference between oils means nothing (discounting ppm's that are within acceptible range).

Son of a [censored]. Are you saying this to [censored] me off or do you really just not get it.

It's MY engine that I tore down. What engine does not matter. Any others like don't matter. Class action lawsuits don't matter. User actions don't matter.

What matters is the end result and that was extraordinary wear that went completely undetected by multiple UOAs.

It comes down to do you believe your own eyes during teardowns, glittery oil, and falling oil pressure, or do you believe a UOA that totally contradicts what you're seeing.

This is black and white. No gray area.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
The Ford guy that is mentioned in this post. Is he still working for Ford? Was he booted, retired, quit, still employed? Just wondering. On occasion "former employees" have a hidden agenda, here the buzz word is "secret".

Just curious.................. I heard he left Ford an unhappy camper, but I want to be certain this isn't some Internet myth.

AD

How would recommending a 30wt have anything to do with the manner in which he left Ford? It does not benefit him and it does not hurt Ford.

You guys are really grasping at straws here.

BuickGN- Thanks. It is because of you I won't waste my money on a UOA. 35+ years of not ever having one, then reading your experiences saved me a ton of money and a lot of wasted time.

Thanks again!

Frank D

Sure they do ..and recommended shearing 5w-30 for decades. They also ran endurance and abuse tests on many engines.

Are we still attempting to PROVE that 5w-20 wears out engines? Sure, if you're someone who flogs the things to the nth degree.

And if I run you over repeatedly with a one ton weight ..you'll die. I assure you. Statistically speaking more people die from one ton weights rolling over them than die from 100lb weights rolling over them. Living proof that one ton kills.

You already know the answer to this. All engines wear out on any oil. Some wear out quicker on thinner oils. OEMs determine if the extra wear is acceptable or not.

Look at what Scott said on the other board. He uses your favorite word. He says the 20wt takes away most of the safety margin. But since he didn't link us to a 20yr old study of out dated oils, it means nothing. Just a Ford engineer's summary of test results on different oils. No big deal.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
BuickGN- Thanks. It is because of you I won't waste my money on a UOA. 35+ years of not ever having one, then reading your experiences saved me a ton of money and a lot of wasted time.

Thanks again!

Frank D

Thanks. LOL.
I DO see the value in UOAs, really I do. Just not in the wear metal department and in the way that 99% of people here use them. I may spend the money on one or two here and there just to check on things such as fuel dilution and coolant leaks.

That would be the only reason I would use one, and only if I thought I had a problem. For the cost it's just easier to change the oil a little sooner, and probably better for the engine too.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
Not very many people would have much to say if the criteria for being able to talk about something was that they had actually done the thing they were talking about. There aren't too many people that have actually beat the tar out of several engines using the different oils in question and then tearing them apart to mic the moving parts and report the findings. All the rest of us just talk about what those people do. Our biggest problem is that it can be hard to acquire the findings of those people that do that with the oils we want to know about. Again, we do what we can.

To make you more than an armchair quarterback you would have to have done more than watch two engines expire while finding no heads-up w/UOAs. Please explain in excruciating detail how watching two engines die makes you an expert on the differing wear in passenger car engines using 20w vs 30w. What oils and what form of death? Was it relevant to the point at hand? How did each die so that the UOA became pointless? Perhaps all of our UOAs are pointless and we're all wasting our money. Perhaps not.

I am not negating the tests the guy was a part of, but "it's a secret and I can't tell you the details" is hardly an unreproachable recommendation of his opinion. The degree to which his opinion is relevant to our type of use, then, is also a secret. How much difference was he alluding to? Was it statistically significant? Statistically significant to automotive companies spending millions on research or to guys that argue over M1 iron being 10-20ppm higher than PP?

How about a guy with 50 years experience in the industry, working for multiple oil companies and being a Tribologist? Would that work for you?

Doug Hillary wrote an article FOR this board, on UOA's and what they should and should not be used for:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?...month&Itemid=78

Quote:
By Doug Hillary

UOAs are a great tool in the Management of any machinery that uses liquid lubricants. Unfortunately, their real value is often misunderstood by those who contribute to BITOG.

Firstly, it is important to realize that you get what you pay for. The most common forms of UOA are limited in their scope. It is a case of if you pay more you get more. So my comments here relate primarily to the “simple” UOAs – the cornerstone of those appearing on BITOG

Secondly, it is easy to assume that by carrying out a UOA you will be able to determine how quickly the engine is wearing out. As well, if you change lubricant Brands you will be able to compare the wear metal uptake results and then make a balanced best lubricant choice to make your engine last longer.

Sadly that logic is seriously flawed.

Single pass (random) UOAs will provide some information regarding wear metals but unless you have a history of your engine’s performance up to around 1 million miles the results are simply that – UOA results! As an example a limit of 150ppm of Iron is a reality – after say 100k it means the lubricant should be changed and all is well. But what is the situation if you have 150ppm of Iron at 5k? Where would you look what would or could you do? So UOAs are really a diagnostic tool – one of many!

The other parts of the UOA Report will be much more valuable to you – it will tell you about the CONDITION of the lubricant and its suitability for further use. This will enable you to get the maximum safe use from the lubricant saving a valuable resource in the process.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Are we still attempting to PROVE that 5w-20 wears out engines?

I suspect they lessen engine life to some degree, but with most modern engines being designed with 300,000-400,000 mile part life (150,000 mile worst case scenario) I don't think too any people care.
21.gif

Outside of a taxi fleet ..and they don't even care due to the ROI without getting more.

This is my point. So what? It would fall into the same class as doing some improvement that resulted in .0000000000000001 gain (in anything hp/mpg/whatever) where the environmental variable was in the double digits range to the left of the decimal point. Most people will have an accident in 400.000 miles of driving ..and some people will never reach the 400,000 mile mark ..even over several car ownerships. If I didn't do 80+ a year for 5 years, I think, combined, we've managed 600k between the two of us.

So, does 5w-20 produce more wear? Yes. Does it, in any sensible manner, support a reason not to use it in engines spec'd for it? Not unless you're Monk and place galactic importance on belly button lint.

Does it, in any sensible manner, support a reason not to use it in engines spec'd for it? Not unless you're Monk and place galactic importance on belly button lint.

This where you and I part ways. See, my engine was spec'd for 5W-20 and I will not run 5W-20 in it. Now remember, the 4.6 4V was the engine Scott Whitehead singled out as the one he definitely would not run a 5W-20 in. I am assuming this has to do with its power level versus the other Modulars.

Even though my engine is a factory long block and N/A, it is making ~100 more HP to the wheels than a stock 4.6 4V Mustang, and with my gears it sees sustained 3000-3500 rpm cruising on the interstate. It also sees 7,000 rpm on nearly a daily basis. I flat out feel better running a motor oil with a HTHS value of at least 3.0 in this application. I personally would also want a more robust oil in any application that is lugged at low rpm (as in pulling heavy loads).

It seems everyone agrees to some extent, it is just that everyone seems to focus on different examples as the basis from which to argue for or against 20-weight oils.

My point, I believe along with several others, is that just because the engine was spec'd for 5W-20 that doesn't mean it is the best choice for all uses. In vehicles that I maintain that see mild usage, make little power and were spec'd for 5W-20, I run 5W-20. I am not anti 5W-20, I just don't believe in a one size fits all approach for viscosity choice.

In this qualified exclusive view, we're in agreement. You're going outside the envelope. Most people who do this can't ..even if you threatened to pull teeth and finger nails without anesthesia ...seem to make the simple concession that they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back